Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Squad Lists

1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Italy's prefered front 3 is Giovinco playing slightly behind Balotelli and Cassano.

Di Natale will not be a starter. He cant finish games that close together. He was oftem rested for European games this year so hed have tome to recover for league games. Himself and Borini will be impact subs. I expect this team.

Buffon

Abate
    Barlzagi
    Chiellini
    Balzaretti

Di Rosi
    Pirlo
    Marchisio

Giovinco
    Cassano
    Balotelli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

I can't believe Alan Dzagoev is only 21 . He looks much older an seems to be around a few years .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Seaneh wrote: »
    Italy's prefered front 3 is Giovinco playing slightly behind Balotelli and Cassano.

Di Natale will not be a starter. He cant finish games that close together. He was oftem rested for European games this year so hed have tome to recover for league games. Himself and Borini will be impact subs. I expect this team.

Buffon

Abate
    Barlzagi
    Chiellini
    Balzaretti

Di Rosi
    Pirlo
    Marchisio

Giovinco
    Cassano
    Balotelli.

From the squad announcement to date, and some suggestions from posters, here is an updated attempt at the starting line-ups for Croatia, Spain and Italian teams:
    Croatia (4-4-2):
    GK. Pletikosa
    RB. Corluka
    CB. Schildenfeld ?
    CB. Simunic
    LB. Strinic / Pranjic
    RM. Srna
    CM. Dujmovic
    CM. Modric
    LM. Kranjcar
    FW. Jelavic /Mandzukic ?
    FW. Olic /Mandzukic ?

Spain (4-1-2-2-1):
    GK. Casillas
    RB. Arbeloa / Ramos ?
    CB. Ramos
    CB. Pique /Martinez ?
    LB. Alba
    DM. Busquets
    CM. Alonso
    AM. Iniesta
    CM. Xavi
    AM. Silva
    FW. Llorente

Italy (4-1-2-1-2)
    GK. Buffon
    RB. Maggio
    CB. Chellini
    CB. Barzagl
    LB. Balzaretti ?
    RCM. Marchisio
    DM. Pirlo
    LCM. DeRossi
    AM. Cassano ?
    FW. Balotelli
    FW. Di Natale

or
    Italy (4-1-2-1-2):
    Buffon 
    Maggio – Chellini – Barzagl - Balzaretti
    RCM. Marchisio - DM. Pirlo - LCM. DeRossi 
                FW. Giovinco  
      FW.Cassano FW.Balotelli

Croatian forward line , Spanish defense and Italian formation/lineup seems to be the areas that are yet to be decided by their respective coaches.
    At least Trap has only one possible dilemma, Doyle or Long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Croatian forward line , Spanish defense and Italian formation/lineup seems to be the areas that are yet to be decided by their respective coaches.

Almost definitely Doyle.

Anyone think McClean has an outside chance of starting? I guess there is no way he would drop Duff at this stage. McClean could be a good impact sub anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Croatia will more likely be this imo:

Pletikosa, Corluka, Pranjic, Simunic, Vida, Vukojevic, Modric, Srna, Ratikic, Mandzukic, Olic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Seaneh wrote: »

Buffon

Abate
    Barlzagi
    Chiellini
    Balzaretti

Di Rosi
    Pirlo
    Marchisio

Giovinco
    Cassano
    Balotelli.

I can't see them being that attacking vs Spain, possibly bringing in Motta for extra defensive cover. Cheillini/Barzagli combo is a lot stronger than people probably realise. Juve conceeded the least out of all the big Euro leagues and didn't lose a game, and Italy likewise, had the meanest defence defence in Euro qualifying only conceeding 2, and didn't lose a game either but still scored 2 goals a game on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I can't believe Alan Dzagoev is only 21 . He looks much older an seems to be around a few years .

Ye just noticed that today too, has appeared in the CL quarters twice in the last 3 years and made his Russia debut at 18 iirc. Really hope this is the moment where he shows the whole of Europe what he can do. Missed the end of the Russian season with injury so hasn't played a whole lot, hopefully he'll get a good run out tonight.

G.K. wrote: »
    Croatia will more likely be this imo:

Pletikosa, Corluka, Pranjic, Simunic, Vida, Vukojevic, Modric, Srna, Ratikic, Mandzukic, Olic

You reckon Vida at CB, Vukojevice DM, and Ratikic LM ?

I thought Bilic might have to go for Jelavic, considering the form he is in.
    He has scored 42 of his last 47 goals with one touch. Thats some quality goalscoring.

Precisely that.

Jelavic is in excellent form, but the consensus I've seen from previews, pundits and bloggers is that it's a Mandzukic/Olic front pair, if anythign for thier hard work.

And I've watched full matches with Jelavic in recently, he's a hell of a worker. Those two must be on another level.

• Advertisement

Precisely that.

Jelavic is in excellent form, but the consensus I've seen from previews, pundits and bloggers is that it's a Mandzukic/Olic front pair, if anythign for thier hard work.

And I've watched full matches with Jelavic in recently, he's a hell of a worker. Those two must be on another level.

Olic till he drops! he is some worker alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

As a France backer the M'vila potential tournament threatening injury is such a massive blow. Who'll be called up if he's out? Has Toulalan retired?

From the squad announcement to date, and some suggestions from posters, here is an updated attempt at the starting line-ups for Croatia, Spain and Italian teams:
    Croatia (4-4-2):
    GK. Pletikosa
    RB. Corluka
    CB. Schildenfeld ?
    CB. Simunic
    LB. Strinic / Pranjic
    RM. Srna
    CM. Dujmovic
    CM. Modric
    LM. Kranjcar
    FW. Jelavic /Mandzukic ?
    FW. Olic /Mandzukic ?

or
    Croatia (4-4-2):
    Pletikosa
    Corluka – Vida – Simunic – Pranjic
    DM. Vukojevic
    RM. Srna - CM. Modric - LM. Ratikic
    FW. Mandzukic FW. Olic

Spain (4-1-2-2-1):
    GK. Casillas
    RB. Arbeloa / Ramos ?
    CB. Ramos
    CB. Pique /Martinez ?
    LB. Alba
    DM. Busquets
    CM. Alonso
    AM. Iniesta
    CM. Xavi
    AM. Silva
    FW. Llorente

Italy (4-1-2-1-2)
    GK. Buffon
    RB. Maggio
    CB. Chellini
    CB. Barzagl
    LB. Balzaretti ?
    RCM. Marchisio
    DM. Pirlo
    LCM. DeRossi
    AM. Cassano ?
    FW. Balotelli
    FW. Di Natale

or
    Italy (4-1-2-1-2):
    Buffon
    Maggio – Chellini – Barzagl - Balzaretti
    RCM. Marchisio - DM. Pirlo - LCM. DeRossi
    FW. Giovinco
    FW.Cassano FW.Balotelli

Toulalan's injured.

I presume they'd go for Sissoko or Lass Diarra, because they are the only good available DM's who I can think of. (Except Coquelin but he's not been involved).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Wonder if the guys in the RTE studio will bother to harp on about how old the Irish squad is (like they do whenever some non-English side is in a similar position in the Champions League). Impressive from Germany to get a squad together that young. Also, seeing the last big tournaments from the likes of Xavi (32), Di Natale (34), Pirlo (33), Shevchenko (35)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Renn wrote: »
    Wonder if the guys in the RTE studio will bother to harp on about how old the Irish squad is (like they do whenever some non-English side is in a similar position in the Champions League). Impressive from Germany to get a squad together that young. Also, seeing the last big tournaments from the likes of Xavi (32), Di Natale (34), Pirlo (33), Shevchenko (35)...

We should definitely see Xavi in two, even four years time, he doesn't exactly rely on pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Not so sure about Xavi - substituted 20 times this season for Barcelona and used as a sub 6 times. Or maybe I'm reading too much into that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭boynesider

I would be shocked if Xavi isn't in Brazil.

Croatia look decent but nothing we can't deal with. Italy seem to be shockingly lacking in top class players for a country with such a large population and footballing tradition. Spain are just on a different planet in terms of playing talent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

boynesider wrote: »

Croatia look decent but nothing we can't deal with. Italy seem to be shockingly lacking in top class players for a country with such a large population and footballing tradition. Spain are just on a different planet in terms of playing talent

I hope you're right. I think Croatia look a class above us. Italy are a shadow of their former selves but still have a mean defence, some dangerous forwards and, refreshingly for them, low expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

boynesider wrote: »

I'm undecided on Italy to be honest. Dodgy fullbacks, great centre halves, a brilliant midfield, but up top only Di Natale convinces me, and he's getting on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭xtal191

I'd be surprised if Nocerino doesn't start for Italy.

Who would he start in front of?

Pirlo? De Rossi? Marchisio? Motta?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭xtal191

A midfield of the following, with attacking fullbacks.

De Rossi
    Pirlo
    Marchiso
    Nocerino

Rekop dog wrote: »
    As a France backer the M'vila potential tournament threatening injury is such a massive blow. Who'll be called up if he's out? Has Toulalan retired?
    Toulalan's injured.

I presume they'd go for Sissoko or Lass Diarra, because they are the only good available DM's who I can think of. (Except Coquelin but he's not been involved).

Alou Diarra replaced M'Vila in the game and Blanc was very impressed with how he did. I haven't heard any reports yet but Blanc after the game seemed pretty confident M'Vila would be ready for the England game.

I know Alou's already in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Renn wrote: »
    Not so sure about Xavi - substituted 20 times this season for Barcelona and used as a sub 6 times. Or maybe I'm reading too much into that.
    He's had his problems with injuries but he's still the heartbeat of Barca. Plus with the likes of Thiago & Fabregas coming through/in he's been afforded more rest time.

I know Alou's already in the squad.

Ah sorry ye I mis-read that, I thought it was who would play instead not who would be called in to replace him, never though of that :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Olic pulls out of Croatia squad . Kalinic called up now .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/8262/italians-lose-barzagli-but-balotelli-fit/

Great news for Ireland. Barzagli was brilliant this season.

Croatia (4-4-2):
    GK. Pletikosa
    RB. Corluka
    CB. Schildenfeld or Vida
    CB. Simunic
    LB. Strinic / Pranjic
    RM. Srna
    CM. Dujmovic or Vukojevic
    CM. Modric
    LM. Ratkic or Kranjcar
    FW. Jelavic
    FW. Olic /Mandzukic

Spain (4-1-2-2-1):
    GK. Casillas
    RB. Arbeloa / Ramos ?
    CB. Ramos
    CB. Pique /Martinez ?
    LB. Alba
    DM. Busquets
    CM. Alonso
    AM. Iniesta
    CM. Xavi
    AM. Silva
    FW. Llorente

Italy (4-1-2-1-2)
    GK. Buffon
    RB. Maggio
    CB. Chellini
    CB. Barzagli Banucci/Ogbanna?
    LB. Balzaretti
    RCM. Marchisio
    DM. Pirlo
    LCM. DeRossi
    AM. Giovinco ?
    FW. Balotelli
    FW. Cassano

"We need one more in midfield," he said. "To have a balance, we must renounce one striker, or put one more in midfield."
    ??
    Cannot believe at this stage Trap is now contemplating changing to 5 in midfield.
    We do need 5 in midfield against certain teams, like Croatia. But to change now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Bonucci would probably have started beside Barzagli, with Chiellini at left back. Now I'd say Chiellini will move into the centre and Balzaretti coming into the team on the left.

While you have their expected XI right, Croatia will play 4-2-3-1 against Ireland. (Apparently)

GK: Pletikosa
    RB: Corluka (Vida if Corluka doesn't recover from his knock)
    CB: Simunic
    CB: Schildenfeld (Or possibly Vida)
    LB: Strinic (Or Pranjic)
    CM: Dujmovic
    CM: Vukojevic
    AML: Mandzukic
    AMC: Modric
    AMR: Srna
    CF: Jelavic

While you have their expected XI right, Croatia will play 4-2-3-1 against Ireland. (Apparently)

It's going to be interesting. Two 442 teams changing to 4231 and 4411 in order to counteract each other. :D

kitakyushu wrote: »
    It's going to be interesting. Two 442 teams changing to 4231 and 4411 in order to counteract each other. :D

good article in the guardian about the Croats formation/lineup
    http://http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/jun/04/euro-2012-croatia-tactical-analysis

I note some of the team previews are now up on ZM

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/06/05/euro-2012-preview-greece/

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/06/05/euro-2012-preview-russia/

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2012/06/05/euro-2012-preview-poland/

(he's going to have a hard time fitting 8 circles and arrows into one peno box for the Ireland preview :pac: )

Czech one is up too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18322132

Croatia's Ivica Olic ruled out of Euro 2012 with injury

I suppose its 'good news' for Ireland

Michael Cox ‏@Zonal_Marking

Group B previews - Holland: http://bit.ly/LiBe8Q Germany: http://bit.ly/LvwuZS Portugal: http://bit.ly/MzcVVH Denmark: http://bit.ly/MyuYLC

• Advertisement

This table simply indicates how many previous EC or WC tournaments each Euro 2012 player has been included in.

team|0|1|2|3|4|5|6
    Croatia|13|5|2|1|2||
    Czech Republic|16|3||4|||
    Denmark|11|8|2|2|||
    England|12|7||2|2||
    France|11|7|3|2|||
    Germany|9|8|1|1|3|1|
    Greece|9|8|4|2|||
    Italy|11|4|5|1|1||1
    Netherlands|6|3|5|5|4||
    Poland|16|6|1||||
    Portugal|7|7|7|1|1||
    Republic of Ireland|19|4|||||
    Russia|8|9|5|1|||
    Spain|4|8|4|3|2|1|1
    Sweden|12|3|2|2|3|1|
    Ukraine|16|7|||||
    Grand Total[/B]|180|97|41|27|18|3|2

Most previous tournaments :

=6=
    Iker Casillas (c) (Spain)
    Gianluigi Buffon (c) (Italy)

=5=
    Miroslav Klose (Germany)
    Xavi (Spain)
    Olof Mellberg (Sweden)

=4=
    John Heitinga (Netherlands)
    Wesley Sneijder (Netherlands)
    Arjen Robben (Netherlands)
    Rafael van der Vaart (Netherlands)
    Bastian Schweinsteiger (Germany)
    Lukas Podolski (Germany)
    Philipp Lahm (c) (Germany)
    Cristiano Ronaldo (c) (Portugal)
    Fernando Torres (Spain)
    Xabi Alonso (Spain)
    Andrea Pirlo (Italy)
    Stipe Pletikosa (Croatia)
    Josip Šimunić (Croatia)
    Andreas Isaksson (Sweden)
    Anders Svensson (Sweden)
    Zlatan Ibrahimović (c) (Sweden)
    Ashley Cole (England)
    Steven Gerrard (c) (England)

As expected Ireland are pretty much dead last in terms of prev tournament experience. Only four of our current squad were at WC2002. This will be the first tournament for nearly half of all players at euro 2012 (180 out of 368).

Advertisement