Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question - where to keep rubbish?

Options
  • 07-05-2012 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Hi, just looking for some advice,
    recently I moved into an apartment, I was told that there's no-where to keep refuse bins or rubbish in sacks outside.
    However my landlady said she would bring my rubbish to the dump for me every two weeks which is grand, but during the two weeks the kitchen does get smelly with the rubbish in the bin.
    The landlady said there was on way I could leave rubbish outside when i approached her.
    what should I do, the kitchen smells horrific.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Is this a legal apartment? I am pretty sure rubbish service of some kind must be provided... Ask the people in neighbouring apartments what they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

silja wrote: »
    Is this a legal apartment? I am pretty sure rubbish service of some kind must be provided... Ask the people in neighbouring apartments what they do?

Thanks for the reply,
    Yes its legal, registered with the ptrb and all that.
    there is five apartments in total the others leave there rubbish out in refuse sacks(@ five euro per bag) at night every two weeks and are collected by the local collection company, but two weeks is a long time.
    I'm actually trying to find out is there legal requirement???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

there is no legal requirements or if your hell bent on it move this over to the legal forum

why dont you just pay like the rest of the apts for your rubbish to be taken away or just leave the sacks outside with the others until your LL comes to take them, the bin collectors wont take them without a tag so its no big deal and if they are coming every two weeks like your LL then I dont see the problem

Also tell your landlord your not keeping the bins in your apt for two weeks it smells and its not working for you and if she has an issue tell her your just going to sort your own refuge collection out and buy bin tags

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Would it not be possible to get onto the council or a local refuse company and get sorted out with a bin? Surely there must be somewhere you could leave one? It will cost you but I know Id sooner pay a few quid a month than have dirty bins sit in my kitchen for a fortnight...

It might be worth contact Threshold about this. Im not sure what the legal position of this is to be honest, but Id be surprised if its acceptable for a rental accomodation to have nowhere to store rubbish that isnt inside the property. They will be able to give you better advice on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

People i know in apartments ,theres some type of shed enclosure ,to put black rubbish bags in,then its collected by council,or a private contractor.Usually bags,go in large metal,or plastic bins.
    i think its up to each management company,to choose the company.
    if people just left black bags on the ground for a week,it could be a health hazard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

edellc wrote: »
    there is no legal requirements or if your hell bent on it move this over to the legal forum
    'I just want to know because a friend told be that landlords have to provide a suitable place to store rubbish until bin-day'

why dont you just pay like the rest of the apts for your rubbish to be taken away or just leave the sacks outside with the others until your LL comes to take them, the bin collectors wont take them without a tag so its no big deal and if they are coming every two weeks like your LL then I dont see the problem
    'the other tenants leave the bags out every two weeks,the bags are labeled already so no need for tags,

Also tell your landlord your not keeping the bins in your apt for two weeks it smells and its not working for you and if she has an issue tell her your just going to sort your own refuge collection out and buy bin tags
    thanks for your reply!
    djimi wrote: »
    Would it not be possible to get onto the council or a local refuse company and get sorted out with a bin? Surely there must be somewhere you could leave one? It will cost you but I know Id sooner pay a few quid a month than have dirty bins sit in my kitchen for a fortnight...

'there is no-where at all to store bins so that's out of the question,the apts are converted streethouse with no access to the back which is like a jungle!!'

It might be worth contact Threshold about this. Im not sure what the legal position of this is to be honest, but Id be surprised if its acceptable for a rental accomodation to have nowhere to store rubbish that isnt inside the property. They will be able to give you better advice on the matter.
    'What's that organisation, I've heard of ptrb but not threshold'
    thanks for the reply!
    riclad wrote: »
    People i know in apartments ,theres some type of shed enclosure ,to put black rubbish bags in,then its collected by council,or a private contractor.Usually bags,go in large metal,or plastic bins.
    i think its up to each management company,to choose the company.
    if people just left black bags on the ground for a week,it could be a health hazard.
    There is no shed or access to the back yard and no management company,just the landlady who lives in the apts also, I have to park my car in the church yard five mins from the apts!
    none of us puts out rubbish until the night it goes out.
    Thanks for the reply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

if you ring thorntons or greyhound or even panda they provide you with a black, brown and green bin which are collected fortnightly too, maybe thats an option for you, but bare in mind they charge by the weight so you dont want or need others in the complex using your bins

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It would be interesting to see what the planning permission for the building says.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IT must be a very small apartment block, i suppose ,this is one of the things to check out before renting a place,.MAYBE you could leave 2 bags on the balcony, if you have 1.Until the day of bag collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Do you have any outdoor space at all, a balcony, small shared yard? You could get a secure container in which to keep the rubbish bags. I wouldn't just leave the bags out, they could get torn by dogs, vermin etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement