Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Waterford

Options
  • 07-05-2012 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi

I'm thinking of moving to Waterford, I went to college there all the people from ten are gone!

What I'm wondering is... Is it easy to settle in and make friends?

Tbh I found dublin hard to settle in when I moved up there to work I'm thinking a smaller city might be better.

Any advice from people who moved there?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Get involved with clubs and events is a good way of meeting people and making friends, job wise though the city is in the pits I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

The lads on here used to meet up for a cinema get together, dont know if there is any planned soon.
    Then as cabaal said, join some sort of club.
    To be honest its fairly easy to make friends down here. everyone seems to know everyone anyways lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Why on earth youd wanna move here is beyond me!

This is a small town everything is closing down and crime is on the rise!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Was wondering how long until youd pop in here :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Feck off why don't you, that reply has nothing to do with what the OP asked.

• Advertisement

Oh i get it, you dont like what you hear so you tell me to Feck off? speaks volumes,

Im a member of this site and im entitled to my opinion based on my experience, if you dont like it just ignore me!

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Good idea to move there... Waterford people are friendly bunch... Nice blaa and ham/Bacon... True the crime went up, i think it is the same everywhere.. Good luck with your move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Did somebody say something?

Feck off is not a rude word unlike (F**k)... Just means to leave OP alone...

Oh i get it, you dont like what you hear so you tell me to Feck off? speaks volumes,

Im a member of this site and im entitled to my opinion based on my experience, if you dont like it just ignore me!

Speaks volumes about what? Find one other person on this site that I've told to feck off and you'd do well. I try to get on with everyone here but you sir are a troll. Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion but how about a balanced opinion or even actually responding to what the poster said?

• Advertisement

When you dont like what you hear or someone elses opinion you tell them to F off, democracy is great and who says im a sir? making alot of presumptions, if you dont like what i have to say and think im a troll as you say then dont engage me directly

When you dont like what you hear or someone elses opinion you tell them to F off, democracy is great and who says im a sir? making alot of presumptions, if you dont like what i have to say and think im a troll as you say then dont engage me directly

Fine, g'luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

Op, Waterford is not a bad place to live, granted it has its problems but overall its no different crime wise than anywhere else in Ireland. You'll find the majority of people here friendly. Moving to Waterford didn't work out for some people but don't let that put you off. You should try to line up some work if you can before you get here.

We have some beautiful scenery and beaches that are only a short drive from the city, some great pubs and restaurants, and a good theatre scene so there’s plenty to do. Best of luck with your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Where I am working at the moment (here in Waterford) has a lot of people who moved from other places both within and outside of Ireland. A constant theme with them is the size of Waterford is a positive. They like that shops, work etc are relativity close to where you live compared to bigger cities like Dublin. All this negativity you get on this site is just not seen; you never get an impression that they see anything wrong with Waterford other than what you would get anywhere. So OP find a job and give it a go.

P.S. Anybody who thinks Waterford has a problem with crime over anywhere else in the country does not know what they are talking about as far as I am concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

Op, Waterford is not a bad place to live, granted it has its problems but overall its no different crime wise than anywhere else in Ireland. You'll find the majority of people here friendly. Moving to Waterford didn't work out for some people but don't let that put you off. You should try to line up some work if you can before you get here.

We have some beautiful scenery and beaches that are only a short drive from the city, some great pubs and restaurants, and a good theatre scene so there’s plenty to do. Best of luck with your decision.

+1: The city is like everywhere else. I can't understand people who say seriously negative stuff about where they live and probably know its the same when it comes to every place in the country/planet, thats life.

Waterford's a brilliant city, I've lived here for the last 15 years and never looked back. Once you get yourself settled, new job etc.. It'll all fall into place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

xkariex wrote: »
    Hi

I'm thinking of moving to Waterford, I went to college there all the people from ten are gone!

What I'm wondering is... Is it easy to settle in and make friends?

Tbh I found dublin hard to settle in when I moved up there to work I'm thinking a smaller city might be better.

Any advice from people who moved there?

xkariex
    I moved from dublin to Waterford about 3 years ago after spending 6 years approx up there. I dont regret it for a moment. The only bummer about Waterford is that it has a higher than average unemployment rate, there aint any major IT/tech companies around the south-east in general so getting a job is a big thing for your own sake (there maybe a couple smaller ones). If you drive, remember that places like killkenny, wexford, clonmel, south tipp, dungarvan etc are easy drives so that opens up the job field a good bit if necessary.

Waterford is a great lil compact city with loads of outdoors stuff to do, clubs and pub/music scene although not in same league as Dublin is good enough. Most work places would have regular nights out and bigger factories would have social clubs. In fairness to Waterford people, i find them friendlier than most counties and most Waterford people are really up for a bit of craic, a joke or a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I'm not from Ireland but have lived in Waterford for many years. Prior to that I'd lived in a number of countries/cities. These days I travel for much of the summer but would be around for Oct - May and bits in between. I find it an OK place to live. I'm within walking distance of anywhere most of the time, I don't go into the small few dodgy spots after dark and I find most folks friendly enough. My experience is that a place is what you make it. Some days I wish I could get away from Waterford as fast as possible, those are usually the rainy days and I don't do rain very well. Overall, it's a good enough place to spend some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

My family moved to Waterford in the early 90's when Waterford was expanding. At first we were fairly shocked at how backward the town was - very run down and lack of shops etc. You could sense that the 80's had been very hard to them.

However, 20 odd years on and the family home is still there. We all individually prospered in our time there. We became engrossed in the sporting community, which was particularly useful for my parents in getting started. They also said that there seemed to be a concerted effort by local business figures to make families like mine and others like them welcome, invite them to balls, meals out etc. Thats probably all gone now.

My advice is to get involved in a sports club in some shape or form. If you aren't fit or sporty there are things like charity and other voluntary groups, photography/film/language clubs etc. where you can meet people.

A big plus that Waterford has going for it are it's climate, history and natural landscape. If you like the outdoors you'll love Waterford.

Looking at it now, I've gone to University and I work in Dublin. I couldn't see myself going back there anytime soon due to the lack of opportunities, and I'm not sure if I'd want to if the jobs were there. My friends have all left for similar reasons, and the city seems to be slowly going backwards, despite great efforts being made on tourism and infastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Petey89

i moved to waterford a year and a half ago still have not found work unemployment here is very high so if your going to move here have work lined up, also move to a good area of the city i regret moving to the part of the city im in its loud, neighbours are ignorant and all the apartment blocks are damp and cold. but on the good side im doing a course here the locals are friendly and the city is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Petey89 wrote: »
    move to a good area of the city i regret moving to the part of the city im in its loud, neighbours are ignorant and all the apartment blocks are damp and cold.
    oh be careful about giving your opinion of an area on here, a fella said he was told to stay away from a place earlier and he was nearly burned at the stake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Petey89

jayboi wrote: »
    oh be careful about giving your opinion of an area on here, a fella said he was told to stay away from a place earlier and he was nearly burned at the stake.
    oh right ok thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

locals are friendly and the city is nice.

We are lovely people alright :D:D:D:D

oh right ok thanks for the advice.

That wasn't all he/she said tbf

here here! thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

here here! thank you!
    No bother, you can give me that tenner whenever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

as numerous people on here have said, giving non-founded or false descriptions will be shot down for the overly negative lies that they are. If you think a particular area is not great, a fair and balanced opinion is what people want not some half-baked description of Damascus on a rough night. If only some of those spouting these opinions had lived elsewhere and had the maturity to repond in a mature well considered manner

Really sad to read that some board member are giving negative note about Waterford...

Will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Really sad to read that some board member are giving negative note about Waterford...

Come down from your ivory tower and smell the bacon.Everyplace has positive and negative characteristics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I live in an Ivory Tower in an unfinished estate in ferrybank.

I don't venture into town as much as I used to but when I lived in the city centre, I loved the place. It's a pity that it dies a death, particularly around John Roberts square, after 6pm.

80% of the trouble you read about in Waterford is from undesirables stabbing, kicking and bottling people from their own circle of depravity. Most people will never actually see any sign of that kind of activity.

In saying that, the unemployment is high and there has been an up surge in petty robberies and break ins - so although this is a nice place to live, it's not the waltons and you'll probably be required to lock your doors.

Advertisement