Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating 4th year science....*READ* Mod Post #3 and #8

Options
  • 07-05-2012 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi everybody! So i was doing 4th year science and to be honest did piss poor. All my exams arent finished yet but i know for a fact that I have failed the majority so far. So Ive pretty much decided now I'm gonna take a year out, save money and just repeat the year all over again and do it right....i guess if I pay out of my own money this time I might be a little bit more motivated to not waste my time here :/ So i guess I'm just wondering if I repeat the year and do alot better, this will be reflected in my overall degree grade right? Like my results won't just be capped at something like 40% even if I get say 70%?? (I know they do this for some repeat exams which I think is abit mean but anyway) Also will potential employers see that I've repeated my final year and not look too favourably on this? Or would they not mind as long as I had the knowledge?
    Sorry for a long first post, but just tryin to see where I am in all this really! Thanks to anyone who can help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Just on a side note...
    Like my results won't just be capped at something like 40% even if I get say 70%?? (I know they do this for some repeat exams which I think is a bit mean but anyway).

Back on topic, I'd say a repeat year is capped at a pass(40%), but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Off topic posts have been deleted..
    Mod Note: Guys, could ye keep on-topic with regards the posters query on whether they will be capped or not.

Feel free to start another thread if ye want to discuss the fairness or unfairness of capping results

Thank you:)

Hi everybody! So i was doing 4th year science and to be honest did piss poor. All my exams arent finished yet but i know for a fact that I have failed the majority so far. So Ive pretty much decided now I'm gonna take a year out, save money and just repeat the year all over again and do it right....i guess if I pay out of my own money this time I might be a little bit more motivated to not waste my time here :/ So i guess I'm just wondering if I repeat the year and do alot better, this will be reflected in my overall degree grade right? Like my results won't just be capped at something like 40% even if I get say 70%?? (I know they do this for some repeat exams which I think is abit mean but anyway) Also will potential employers see that I've repeated my final year and not look too favourably on this? Or would they not mind as long as I had the knowledge?
    Sorry for a long first post, but just tryin to see where I am in all this really! Thanks to anyone who can help!

Hi OP,
    I'm 4th science myself and I have to admit I don't actually know what the situation is with regards to the capping of results:o

Best course of action would be to contact the College of Science Office and get a definitive answer unless someone else knows here for certain:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Also will potential employers see that I've repeated my final year and not look too favourably on this? Or would they not mind as long as I had the knowledge?

I repeated a year and they usually do spot the extra year on the CV in interviews. If you've a good reason I don't think it's much of an issue.

Feck it anyway, I came here to copy and paste my thoughts on capping repeats, but alas, the communist party of mods have it gone...

*brings baseball and mitt into solitarity confinement a la Steve McQueen...*

Reillyman, if you have an issue with the decision please bring it to my attention via PM.. Thank you.:)

Do not take this thread further off topic.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Why didn't they just split the topic, deleting is kind of OTT.

Mod Note:

The topic has been split and there is a separate thread to discuss capping. This thread is for answering the question put by the OP only!!!!

Consider this a warning to not post further off-topic or discuss mod decisions on-thread. PM if ye have any queries:)

I can haz cheezburger?

Mod Note: Reillyman on a break for a week....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Found this on the SU website, you can repeat internally or externally. It gives no mention of capping results, so I can't be sure of what the story is with that. As Kittyee said, you'd be best to contact the College of Science or Exams offices to find out for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

RolandIRL wrote: »
    Found this on the SU website, you can repeat internally or externally. It gives no mention of capping results, so I can't be sure of what the story is with that.
    I do not know if that SU website has been updated any time recently. Did the college not do away with external repeats at the end of last year, and make the cost of repeating something between the cost of repeating externally and the cost of repeating internally?
    I think capping varies from school to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jerkov

Trying to make sense of the department's little book of rules and regulations is about ten times as hard as trying to navigate www.nuigalway.ie. I emailed the department after they made the changes last year and was told you have 4 chances to pass an exam; attempts 2 to 4 are capped at 40%. As you'd expect, these rules aren't adhered to, but you also can't count on them not being adhered to.

A foolproof strategy is to aim for at least 50% in all modules in the first sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jay777

There's a new guidebook for 2nd, 3rd and 4th year science at http://www.nuigalway.ie/science/documents/scienceguidefinal2.pdf . Pages 42 and 43 are about 4th year results and criteria/options to repeat modules the following year.

Advertisement