Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o2 v three - which is the better network?

Options
  • 07-05-2012 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So Im on meteor now, and their coverage is just useless (what do I expect for 15 a month !!)

I have to change networks, Vodafone billpay plans are just ridiculous!

Im left with o2 or three!

I know that o2 has better customer service. But is their signal as good as or better than 3? It will also cost me an extra €10 per month with just 2GB of data!

I know that three doesn't have any customer service but then are €10 cheaper each month (the phone is cheaper off them too). But they have all you can eat data, which is useful on a smart phone! but they dont allow teathering (probably use every 2 month's) I got a prepay sim to check their coverage and it's all good :)

So what do you think? Go with o2 and get less for more but better service or go with three and get more for less with questionable service?

also does anyone know if it's possible to bypass the no teathering rule on three?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Well, usually no-one joins a network to be making contact with their Customer Services:D. I've been with all the main ones over the past 10yrs and I can assure you that the CS sections of each provider can be shy** at times. But normally you will have no need to contact the more than once or twice in a year.
    Voda & O2 have the best infrastructure, or at least they should have, as they had head starts over Meteor & Three. Three supposedly have the best 3g network. If you have a good signal where you work & play, then Three win by a country mile with their plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

3 are on boards as well so I find that I can things sorted on here rather than ring Mumbai... which helps!

I don't think there is any way to bypass the no tethering thing, unless you sign up to their phone + tablet deal.

I don't tend to care much about customer service because I hardly ever need to contact 3, everything works as it should! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭thedonscork

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    Hi,

So Im on meteor now, and their coverage is just useless (what do I expect for 15 a month !!)

I have to change networks, Vodafone billpay plans are just ridiculous!

Im left with o2 or three!

I know that o2 has better customer service. But is their signal as good as or better than 3? It will also cost me an extra €10 per month with just 2GB of data!

I know that three doesn't have any customer service but then are €10 cheaper each month (the phone is cheaper off them too). But they have all you can eat data, which is useful on a smart phone! but they dont allow teathering (probably use every 2 month's) I got a prepay sim to check their coverage and it's all good :)

So what do you think? Go with o2 and get less for more but better service or go with three and get more for less with questionable service?

also does anyone know if it's possible to bypass the no teathering rule on three?

Id go with 3 also, have been with them over a year now after switching from meteor and was with o2 before that. They def have the best 3G coverage and their pricing is miles better than the others.

Ya their India call centre isnt ideal but ive never had any issues to be ringing them and they have Irish boards forum here too.

The prepay deal for €20 is excellent, and is worth checking out as alternative to bill pay plan as it also includes unlimited data.

Tethering is only allowed for billpay customers who signed up by some date last year so I don't know if there is a way around this for new customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sfag31

Been with three for a while now. Their 3g coverage beats all the others.
    Re tethering - its no longer allowed but Im told it will still work and may be tolerated if you dont use it too much.
    O2 3g coverage - use to have it in central Dublin and it was useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭chris1970

Look at tesco mobile, great value,same as o2, way cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

chris1970 wrote: »
    Look at tesco mobile, great value,same as o2, way cheaper

Except the OP wants to use data and Tesco data is worse than bloody dialup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

ED E wrote: »

Is tesco not on the o2 network?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Caseywhale

ED E wrote: »

Thats the truth.
    They might be on the O2 network, but they are certainly not sharing the same speed as the O2 network.
    I just ported away from Tesco. The data speeds are desperate and the rep here keeps spinning yarns. "It will be fixed next Friday". He says that every week.

Anyone thinking of going to Tescomobile read this thread. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78628598#post78628598

Dialup would actually be faster than Tescomobile.

Advertisement