Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Met Eireann and their inaccurate forecasts

• 07-05-2012 7:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭

I cancelled some sporting activities for today purely on the basis of forecasts from Met Eireann.

If anybody saw some of their broadcasts during the weekend (Fri and Sat) you would think there was going to be a typhoon over most of the island.

But no, just a couple of heavy showers than only lasted about 15 minutes.

I am sick of Met Eireann predicting weather extremes that never seem to happen. This has not been the first time, they always seem to be at it. I am sure, I am not the only one whose plans were interrupted?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

No, I just look outside the window, works better.
    You're welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

You're welcome.

yes..looking out the Window gives you a much more accurate forecast - old style yet reliable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Are you sure that they weren't financial forecasts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

jetsonx wrote: »
    I cancelled some sporting activities for today purely on the basis of forecasts from Met Eireann.

If anybody saw some of their broadcasts during the weekend (Fri and Sat) you would think there was going to be a typhoon over most of the island.

I am sick of Met Eireann predicting weather extremes that never seem to happen. This has not been the first time, they always seem to be at it. I am sure, I am not the only one whose plans were interrupted?

They're fucking up the exact science of weather prediction? Holy jaysus....is there no end to the disasters this state has foisted on us....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

If you want perfect weather predictions, then join the X-men like a normal person.

Jeez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

MT Cranium FTW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭puzzle factory

what are you on about,met Eireann have it down to the t,
    some cloulds in the sky, a dash of rain sometime doing the day and the sun might pop out for a few minutes, works for every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

we live on an island, its notoriously difficult to give even a reasonably accurate forcast for an island

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

You cant trust them presenters, sure everyone knows that they are on price work.

They get pay by the linear metre of rain they predict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Couldn't agree more. Whatever computer model they are using for their forecasts just doesn't work. When I was a child in the sixties they had more accurate forecasts.

• Advertisement

jpfahy wrote: »
    Whatever computer model they are using for their forecasts just doesn't work.

I would hate to be a fisherman or pilot relying on their forecasts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

there will probably be a tornado or supercell now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭TehDagsBass

You're welcome.
    In fairness, looking out the window is how Met Eireann apparently conduct their forecasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I'm in South Kildare... and something is kicking off... Two large flashes of lightning so far and loads of thunders.... I think God is having a word with Cardinal Brady..

*gets back behind sofa* :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

In fairness, looking out the window is how Met Eireann apparently conduct their forecasting.

Yea and they aren't far from me so I might as well. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I would hate to be a fisherman or pilot relying on their forecasts.

Pilots have their own private, far more accurate met eireann site to check it on. Met Eireann aren't that innaccurate, its more down to how people interpret what is said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭TehDagsBass

jpfahy wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. Whatever computer model they are using for their forecasts just doesn't work. When I was a child in the sixties they had more accurate forecasts.
    Computer model?!

No,no,no,no,no my friend. You're giving them way too much credibility there. What they do is, in the morning the entire staff goes out and looks at the sky. They then each score the likelihood of various types of weather events - rain, snow, etc. based on what they saw in the sky.

The average of these scores are brought to the manager's dog, who has a knack for predicting the weather apparently, who motions toward one "model" that he believes to be correct at that time.

They then use artists they found on Grafton Street, making sand sculptures that are the exact same every day for some strange reason, to draw pretty graphs based on what they interpret to be the wishes of the dog.

Once drawn, the dog is shown the charts and he once again indicates what he believes to be correct.

And thus is meteorology in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I studied Mathematics. One of the optional courses was the type of maths used in weather forecasting. It made my brain hurt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

It was warm and sunny about 2 hours ago. Then went to a bit overcast and then started BUCKETING hailstones for a solid 10 minutes followed by a bit of thunder and now it's kind of grand again. Forecasts are useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

its actually pretty good, once you know the limitations and understand that those clouds and sun on the map are just that. an icon.... not to scale ;)
    forget gettig an accurate forecast for more than a few days away, we live on a small island. weather is very fickle for that reason.

• Advertisement

People really need to understand how weather works more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Sky King wrote: »
    MT Cranium FTW!

Yeah I would reccommend this guy also over the RTE predictions, apart from looking out your window of course :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

cocoshovel wrote: »

Everyone understands how weather works. It is windy, raining heavily, raining lightly, cold, warm, hot, snowing, hailstones, calm , stormy or some combination of one or more of these.
    What people do not understand is how to know which of them or which combination is coming next and for how long and which combination is going to succeed the first one and so on.

cocoshovel wrote: »

I don't want to know about meteorology, not my job. All I want
    is a reasonable prediction of what weather conditions are going to be like in 48 or 24 hours time. I will allow for forecasters getting it wrong some of the time, but its not ideal when they are wrong nearly all of the time.

And, I presume they make their forecasts to be interpreted by people of reasonable intelligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

BBC Weather is more accurate.

ok. heres something to bear in mind when watching forecasts. April is usually a showery month. sunny spells during the day, and a chance of showers. we on the east coast get our summer in April, but its still cool. thats just the way our climate is. May is the transition between spring and summer, so it can be like april and also a chance of nice weather. june july are usually disappointing. the quicker people get over the fact we dont get summer in these months the better. its usually mild but can be wet. August more settled. and september is usually an indian summer, more nice weather :)

Oct. cool again. Nov. not to bad considering its winter. winter temps only really kick in around Dec. Jan cold. Feb cold but spring is coming, can be bright and cold.

the take home lesson is if its sunny its usually cool. if its wet its usually milder. and we dont get many days that are mild AND sunny like the continent. we have a temperate climate ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Get over to the weather forum. These guys are fab, take a look at MTs daily forecast you will never be left wondering about the weather again.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=374

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Serious thunder and lightening at the minute over Kildare.. scary stuff!! and hailstones the size of marbles to boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

OP i think you've just stirred on a beast of a storm!

Not far off a supercell making a b-line for Greater Dublin!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 38 redwood

I was just saying to my daughter that hotels must be spitting fire at the Met Office. They predicted all sorts of bad weather for the weekend and must have made alot of people think twice about going away. My grand daughter was making her 1st Communion on Sat last. I listened to every forecast over the week. The Herald wrote that snow was expected. Thankfully we had a lovely sunny day. Yesterday was a lovely day too. This morning I went for a lovely walk in the sunshine.
    This afternoon wasnt too good though but 2 and half days out of 3 was great to get. Evelyn Cusack is full of her own importance. She would blind you with science.She is great for telling us about the weather we just had. She uses so much jargon at the end you dont know what the forecast is. Over 100 people are employed in the Met Office. What do they do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kitty9

we had thunder and lightning here in laois.

couldnt hang out the washing all day :(

was dreadful. thankfully Met Eireann warned us of the impending bad weather.

ALL HAIL MET EIREANN :pac:

lol look at the comments

kitty9 wrote: »
    we had thunder and lightning here in laois.

couldnt hang out the washing all day :(

was dreadful. thankfully Met Eireann warned us of the impending bad weather.

ALL HAIL MET EIREANN :pac:

lol look at the comments

never mind that. check out jean in her leather dress. nom.. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Weather forecasts will never be 100% accurate, it's impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

OP i think you've just stirred on a beast of a storm!

Not far off a supercell making a b-line for Greater Dublin!!

anything for arklow? like a lovely july day here atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Who uses Met Eireann for weather predictions?? Shur everyone knows there is only one please to get an accurate reading!!!

The weather forum!!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=374

• Advertisement

You dont need to have a degree to understand the weather, its simple to know the basics and you could pretty much tell how the day is going to turn out by reading the weather brief and looking at the sky in the morning.
    I guess thats not going to get through to some people though, some pretty ignorant things have been said so far.
    Anyhow, I find this to be the most accurate thing on met eireann for predicting rain fall at least. http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

anything for arklow? like a lovely july day here atm

so its raining then :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Has nobody figured out that Met Eireann give pretty much the same forecast 365 days of the year ?

"Sunny spells. Intermittent showers, sometimes heavy."

Or some variation of this.

What's more it's pretty accurate 365 days of the year.

Redjeep! wrote: »
    Has nobody figured out that Met Eireann give pretty much the same forecast 365 days of the year ?

Or some variation of this.

What's more it's pretty accurate 365 days of the year.

Why do you think they use that cloud icon that also has sun behind it
    and rain coming out of it so much...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Very true, they tend to get it right on the day though.:rolleyes: But not always. I remember driving halfway across the country in cloudy conditions. When I got home I turned on the weather and the nice lady told us that the sun was breaking out all over the country. Not in this country I thought.

To be fair though there was some seriously heavy rain this weekend which was forecast. But not all areas were hit. It was a beautiful day here on the west coast. Also you cannot forecast for local anomalys. It can be sunny in one place and rain all day ten miles north or south.

My opinion is that the current weather situation is testing the Met Eireann to the limit. They're not used to this yet. All their experience is with the normal westerly winds and weather coming from the Atlantic. Now that the Jetstream is down south we're getting this unusual weather coming from the East or South or North. They're outside their comfort zone.

The BBC do a better service on their website even for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i particularly like the way they completely change the forecast as the day goes on on their website

Morning forecast for the day: Dark Cloud and showers across all of Ireland.
    *check 2 hours later when there's been no rain*
    Bright sunny spells all across the island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Here's the weather forecast for the rest of the year in Ireland.

Rain, more rain and lots of cloud. Some breaks in rain/cloud cover which may last many hours at best. Fog in some areas on occasion with a small chance of thunder/lightning as well. Short spells of ice/snow may also be possible.

You're welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I heard a butterfly just flapped it's wings in Peking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

The industry I'm in, an inaccurate forecast can cost me thousands.

I'd love to see the introduction of penalties for botched forecasts..

I'd tolerate a small degree of variation, but forecasting +3 and getting -2 is completely out of order.

Stop treating the job as a stepping stone into modelling and do it right ffs.

i particularly like the way they completely change the forecast as the day goes on on their website

Morning forecast for the day: Dark Cloud and showers across all of Ireland.
    *check 2 hours later when there's been no rain*
    Bright sunny spells all across the island.

that is so spot on! You think it's your memory first, but yes, they completely change some of their forecasts in the space of a couple of hours! I think they really must use the highly sophisticated LOTW (looking-out-the-window) system

And as another poster has pointed out, they go to significant efforts to tell us what the weather HAS been like....at least they get that right!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

gave up on that forecast ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

The bbc weather on countryfile on sunday evening is the weather I watch, I got a turn off from met eire a few years back when they had the amatures on for a while, mind you the bunch that are there now are no better.

Cassidy28 wrote: »
    The bbc weather on countryfile on sunday evening is the weather I watch, I got a turn off from met eire a few years back when they had the amatures on for a while, mind you the bunch that are there now are no better.

Thanks for the reminder of this service.

I've been using their website for the past week. So far, so good.

It avoids the sweeping generalisations/@ss covering vague "sunny-spells-at-times-showers-sometimes-heavy" forecasts provided by Met Eireann.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/

Never using Met Eireann again - too many plans ruined by their inaccuracies.

Advertisement