Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unusual registration plate

• 07-05-2012 7:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

was behind this today its a 99 shape land rover but has these plates front and back????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Are Range Rovers still separate chassis?

Could be a 79 chassis with a 99 body :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

Have to say that is very unusual, however I have seen plates like that on army vehicles so maybe its ex army?

iguy wrote: »
    Have to say that is very unusual, however I have seen plates like that on army vehicles so maybe its ex army?

Ex DF stuff gets exported to Asia.

Believe me I know :)

Very peculiar, from motorcheck,

Registration: 79MN615 Description: Land Rover Range Rover 2.5 TD 05DR Body Type: Estate Colour: Red Fuel Type: Diesel Transmission: Manual

Would be pretty extreme way to avail of classic tax and insurance, a 79 chassis with a 99 body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

dgt wrote: »

Oh, why's that?
    I learn something new every day! :)

• Advertisement

iguy wrote: »
    Oh, why's that?
    I learn something new every day! :)

Don't know myself but have asked before and that's what I'm told every time. They are put in service in other countries they get exported to but for what I haven' a clue.

Hence why you don't see the old Patrols knocking about on Irish roads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

dgt wrote: »

Didn't always get exported. I know a guy who purchased a few during the 90's and sold them on. He also used to buy battered old land rovers strip them to the chassis and rebuild newer range rover bodies onto them. The had a contact that would get Range rover where the engine had blown and go from there. That would explain the reg on the car in the picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

it's a 79 chassis with the 99 body thrown* onto it, a good few of them about :)

*Thrown is a very, very loose term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

it's a 79 chassis with the 99 body thrown* onto it, a good few of them about :)

*Thrown is a very, very loose term.

What about going the other way though? You can buy brand new chassis for the likes of a defender off the shelf http://www.richardschassis.co.uk/defender-chassis.html . Do they then class it as a brand new car?

What about going the other way though? You can buy brand new chassis for the likes of a defender off the shelf http://www.richardschassis.co.uk/defender-chassis.html . Do they then class it as a brand new car?

Well no, one would assume that the Chassis number off the "old" chassis would be transplanted onto the new one.

To make it a new one i'd assume it would be classified as a kit car? i'm not sure really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

AFAIK the chassis, in Shannon's world view, is the car. A new chassis, even with all old parts, is therefore a new car.

Anan1 wrote: »
    AFAIK the chassis, in Shannon's world view, is the car. A new chassis, even with all old parts, is therefore a new car.

What dictates a chassis though? Where the number is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

you could, and no dounbt sometimes people do, go to the trouble of fitting the Range Rover body to the Classic Chassis. Probably the case in many instances that the only part of the Land Rover used is the Taxbook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

chassis is that part of car where VIN number printed (17 numbers/letters). you may change engine, parts, cut around body, and put new parts. :pac: but i think so much job to do, just to get classics insurance and tax ? cheaper would be buy such old car.

Mar4ix wrote: »
    chassis is that part of car where VIN number printed (17 numbers/letters). you may change engine, parts, cut around body, and put new parts. :pac: but i think so much job to do, just to get classics insurance and tax ? cheaper would be buy such old car.

But in the likes of the origional Mini the chassis number is under the window panel and lots of people buy a replacement panel for these, does that mean they're replacing the chassis?

I think it's the actual chassis on something like a LR, the monocoque on a car. So yeah, where the number is.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

"Re-building" old Discovery and Range Rover chassis with completely new bodies has been around for a long time.

It originally started out as a way of reducing the amount of tax paid for benefit in kind for company cars as the benefit in kind is calculated on the original new price of the vehicle.

Then in later years it also became a way of getting cheap vintage road tax.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Buffman

Yep, nothing that unusual with that number plate. There's garages that do this with LR/RRs. Cheap tax, cheaper insurance, no NCT if it's pre 1980.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3182133

Full-10812126.jpeg

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

But in the likes of the origional Mini the chassis number is under the window panel and lots of people buy a replacement panel for these, does that mean they're replacing the chassis?

Don't know about mini, i've never open their bonnet. it is depend where original VIN number printed , i think it may be printed on number places, but usually it is located on engine compartment back wall .

Mar4ix wrote: »
    Don't know about mini, i've never open their bonnet. it is depend where original VIN number printed , i think it may be printed on number places, but usually it is located on engine compartment back wall .

Peugeot 206's have it on their front wing and at the rear end of the boot. if one ever needed a new arse and wing it would be nameless!

• Advertisement

Peugeot 206's have it on their front wing and at the rear end of the boot. if one ever needed a new arse and wing it would be nameless!

dont know what is legislation in Ireland, i know in my country , if i have to change part of chassy, where chassy number printed ... rusted, or damaged, and its been replaced from scrapped car, have to make note about it on logbook(through motor office), leaving old vin number, and explanation , that been replaced with such and such vin number.

I think in Ireland, you cant pass NCT if VIN number differs from log book number.

No, you can't.

But, what i meant was if you bought a new panel without a chassis number printed.

No, you can't.

But, what i meant was if you bought a new panel without a chassis number printed.
    I think there's only one place that counts, the others are just copies for convenience. I know this is a bit vague..

No, you can't.

sorry, dont know, never dealth with such situation, have to ask in motor office about that.

I think there's only one place that counts, the others are just copies for convenience. I know this is a bit vague..

But isn't a mini's one just under the window and no where else? Could be wrong.

But prints (if not with dealer) will be different from original make ,and if any police/garda unit will want examine your car, it will be counted as clocked car, as prints itself will differ from original maker prints. ... i mean shape, width and length of characters, and spaces between them.

But isn't a mini's one just under the window and no where else? Could be wrong.
    Absolutely no idea, myself

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭adunis

deaglan169 wrote: »
    was behind this today its a 99 shape land rover but has these plates front and back????
    This is very easy,it has a1979 tax book and **** all else it is a p38 body will not fit on a rrc chassisyould build a car from the ground up with the amount of work required,and yes I have brought this to the revenue commissioners attention its clouns like this that will completely screw up the entire classic car scene not just those doing genuine rrc rebodies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

It would need them restamped to pass the NCT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

This is a chassis:

Chassis_with_suspension_and_exhaust_system.jpg

Reg number is attached to it and nothing else.

cgarrad wrote: »
    This is a chassis:

Reg number is attached to it and nothing else.

Does it have VIN number printed on it by manufacturer ? Reg plate has to correspond with vin number, otherwise wont work. well ... it shouldn't in normal circumstances.

Advertisement