Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC selling phone number?

• 07-05-2012 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have phone service with UPC for about 7months now. I don't really ever use it but its cheaper to take phone than without as I also have broadband to avoid the standalone fee. Now I didn't give out my phone number to anyone except my parents but now for the last 2 weeks I am getting almost 2 sometimes 3 phone calls daily from people asking for donations for different organization.

Does anyone know if UPC sells the phone number they assign to you? Or is your number listed automatically and you have to opt out? It is really getting annoying I would just disconnect it but it might be my parents calling.

Lived in the states before and you could enter in a do-not-call list but I think calls for donations were excluded from that list so it wouldn't help.

Anyone has a similar experience or any suggestions?

Thanks.

P.S. Using my mobile almost exclusively and I gave that number out to various sources but never get any calls for donations through that. Could be that its just too expensive for those places to call though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

Ok, called UPC. They said phone number gets listed to a 'book' (guess he means phone directory) automatically and you have to opt-out manually if you don't like your phone number to be available for everyone. Guess most of you knew that already but at least he took my phone number off now.

Thread can be closed unless someone likes to add something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It's called the National Directory Database, and everyone's number is on it unless you specifically opt out. It is a separate database to the phone book, and going ex-directory will not opt you out of the NDD.

Advertisement