Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eng-er-land Euro2012 squad

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Holt should have gone ahead of either Carroll / Crouch imo.

If Carroll had one good month at the end of the season at Norwich, and Holt had scored 15 PL goals for Liverpool throughout the season, we all know who'd be in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Holt should have gone ahead of either Carroll / Crouch imo.

Holt is no good. Sorry. Honest pro who has done amazingly well for himself with very limited ability but that's it.

I guess with a lot of decisions it depends on whether you think an International call-up should be a reward for playing well or an attempt to build the best squad possible.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Easy glen johnson is a better player and englands 1st choice rb and jones provides better cover for cb.

simples

Saying that I would have brought him instead on jones but can see why he wasnt picked

i think Richards is a better all round right back than johnson and adds a threat from corners + frees

Des wrote: »
    Making Gerrard means he is pretty much undroppable, and is going to play as a CM, if not from the start, then definitely when Rooney gets back.

If they win thier first two games with no Rooney and Gerrard "in the hole", and then Rooney comes back, forcing Gerrard back, they'll lose thier 3rd group game, qualify for the quarter finals and go out.

Gerrard + Any of the other CMs named just won't work.

Also, it means we could potentially see Lampard making way for Gerrard for the 3rd group game, or if not, a CM pairing of Lampard and Gerrard.

All of the above are nightmare scenarios.

Making Gerrard the captain was a silly thing to do, for those reasons.

Or it means that Gerrard continues in the hole with Rooney in front of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Holt is no good. Sorry. Honest pro who has done amazingly well for himself with very limited ability but that's it.

I guess with a lot of decisions it depends on whether you think an International call-up should be a reward for playing well or an attempt to build the best squad possible.

No good? There's a fair few players in the squad who have supposed 'ability' that have never done it any time for England. Also how else should it work? Pick a squad based on how many times your name appears in the media? throw a dart? Of course it should be if your playing well, even if that goes against about half the England squads credentials this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

With big help from Drogba, Ramires, Reina, Kuyt, Suarez, Mata, etc. If you look at the squads of most other nations, it is dominated by players in the top 3 or 4 clubs of European leagues.

Bad in league due to English players
    Good in cups due to Johnny Foreigners

Anyway i think it's all swings and roundabouts with those there and those not. They have as much chance as winning as we do i'd imagine. We can only dream that we both come first/second and get a cut of them in the last 8 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

It really is the poorest England squad I can remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Blatter wrote: »
    If Carroll had one good month at the end of the season at Norwich, and Holt had scored 15 PL goals for Liverpool throughout the season, we all know who'd be in the squad.

But of course - if their clubs were reversed Holt would be starting game one.
    Beefy78 wrote: »

Neither of the above? An International call-up should contribute towards the winning of a football tournament. Holt is in form, full of confidence, and has been solid the whole season through. He has contributed more in general play on a weekly basis than either Carroll or Crouch, and just been all round better over the course of the whole season. I mean, it doesn't really matter if he never played for England after this summer. Right now, this minute he gives them the best chance to win games.

And finally, while I am on record as valuing qualification contrbutions when picking finals squads and maintaining consistency if possible, Carroll wasn't a contributor to Qualification (neither was Jones or Ox) so Hodgson hasn't washed his selection process through that filter. If he's trying to pick the best mix right now, it should be Holt ahead of Carroll / Crouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

He said F**K like on TV once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Easy glen johnson is a better player and englands 1st choice rb and jones provides better cover for cb.

simples

Saying that I would have brought him instead on jones but can see why he wasnt picked

:pac:

A huge price tag can do wonderful things to a players ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Not a fan of England so this is quite amusing to say the least. No Micah Richards, Carroll instead of Crouch. Would have put Carrick in there, the best English CM in the Prem this season. Looks like 4-4-2 for them typical. They're lucky they have an easy group.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Bad in league due to English players
    Good in cups due to Johnny Foreigners

Anyway i think it's all swings and roundabouts with those there and those not. They have as much chance as winning as we do i'd imagine. We can only dream that we both come first/second and get a cut of them in the last 8 :D

I think it is been pretty clear for years that the majority of top players in the EPL are non-English. If you took them out of teams, then the likes of Chelsea would not make it that far in European competition.

For a country of 60 million, England produces shockingly little world class talent, but of course Hodgson on his own can't change this. an I think his selections, bar one or two today, are fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

According to Hodgson, he saw Chamberlain play well against Pirlo and Ambrosini. Ambrosini didn't play, Pirlo isn't even a Milan player.

Oops

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

FatherTed wrote: »
    Not a fan of England so this is quite amusing to say the least. No Micah Richards, Carroll instead of Crouch. Would have put Carrick in there, the best English CM in the Prem this season. Looks like 4-4-2 for them typical. They're lucky they have an easy group.

It's hardly an easy group in fairness. France have improved dramatically under Blance, Ukraine are co-hosting and Sweden are always solid

Corholio wrote: »
    No good? There's a fair few players in the squad who have supposed 'ability' that have never done it any time for England. Also how else should it work? Pick a squad based on how many times your name appears in the media? throw a dart? Of course it should be if your playing well, even if that goes against about half the England squads credentials this season.

It should be who are the better players, not who happens to be playing well at any one date. I've seen Holt dozens of times through the divisions in England right back to his Shrewsbury Rochdale days and he's an honest, decent Pro but that's it.

It's exactly this line of thinking that got Michael Ricketts an England cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

also, picking Gerrard, and captaining him, while also claiming Rio was not picked for "footballing reasons" is such bollocks it's untrue.

Gerrard is injury prone, and has played half an hour for England in a year.

keep 'em coming Hodge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

It's hardly an easy group in fairness. France have improved dramatically under Blance, Ukraine are co-hosting and Sweden are always solid

Oh Please. Compared to ours and the Germany-Netherlands-Denmark-Portugal group, it is WAY easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Pighead wrote: »
    Massive? Hardly. Out of the four players you mention I'd only have strong feelings about Downing making the squad.

Jones V Richards is much of a muchness. Carroll V Crouch is also tough to call. Personally I'd have gone for Crouchie but Carroll will offer pretty much the same and you've got the bonus of a player who is high on confidence having finished the season well.

I think Chamberlain could be a fantastic option from the bench and if I were an England fan I'd be happy to see him in there.

Richards is a tank, a massive thread from corners and set pieces, works his balls off too. Johnson 2 years ago maybe. But I rate Richards highly.

How can someone who isn't a starter for a team be considered and option, and so inexperienced too.

Anyone know if any other one of the top teams have brought a young, inexperienced sub with them?

Crouchs record for England has been amazing too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Can anyone say what the starting team will be.
    One reason why I think England will do well is that they have the best keeper they have had in a long time.
    A good keeper is on a par with a good striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Who's back-up captain? Lampard?

• Advertisement

Oh Please. Compared to ours and the Germany-Netherlands-Denmark-Portugal group, it is WAY easier.

That doesn't make it easy. It could have been more difficult but it's a toss-up between all four sides with no one looking outstanding and no one looking poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Can anyone say what the starting team will be.
    One reason why I think England will do well is that they have the best keeper they have had in a long time.
    A good keeper is on a par with a good striker.

Shilton was rated the best goalkeeper in the world by many back in the mid 1980s. Didn't help England much.

If you want to compare groups, then on paper it's probably easier than the germany/holland group and our own group but it's still not an EASY group as you say, in my opinion. The easiest group on paper is probably group a with greece, russia, poland, czech. Very hard to say how england will do. For once, expectations seem to be realistic in that they dont count themselves amongst as genuine contenders, which might help them. although, give it a few weeks and we'll here stevie, frank and others saying how they're as good as spain etc and have every chance to win. what else would they say!?

They were unlucky not to make the wc final in 1990 at a time Germany and Arg had v good teams.

I find it a mistake to talk about "strong and weak groups" before a ball has even been kicked. It just never works out according to the seedings and that's why these tournaments are always so interesting for me.

A lot of seems to be based on nothing more than there being a "name" team there. For instance I think Greece could be a dark horse again and Russia have already proved to me that they are a well functioning team. They're two teams in the 'weak' group. By comparison Italy and England look like they're right there for the taking despite their reputations.

Italy should have a strong defence. Chellini is fit. He was CH for a Juventus side that conceded only 20 goals this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Versatility does definitely seem to have been one of Hodgeson's strongest influences in this selection. I guess he wants to give himself the maximum flexibility in picking a starting 11. Then whichever 11 bodies learn his notoriously strict positional system
    best during the training camp can be slotted into the team.

I think the versatility requirement is why Carrick has lost out, and unluckily so. Jones, Lampard, Gerrard, Milner, Barry and Henderson have all played in other positions, whereas Carrick can't. Defensively Carrick would seem perfect for Hodgeson's zonal cover defence - where positioning discipline is more important than anything else - but it's not to be. In possession I don't think he would be any better at dictating a game, they are all completely incapable of it.

The only chance I thought Hodgeson had of doing well was to bring a player like Leon Britton. But Hodgeson is the most English of English managers and he has made a selection of the most English of English midfielders.

To the people saying that you can't select the likes of Britton because he doesn't have CL experience, he doesn't need it to be a better option than Roy's choices. He has something much more important: skill. All that CL experience won't help this collection of clog dancers in the slightest. I can't see even one central midfielder there who can keep and use possession under pressure.

Add that to the facts they are missing their best striker for the first few games, teams usually take a while to adapt to Hodgeson's style and he will be saying weird shìt to the press and it's all starting to look very bad. This looks set to be a massacre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Yeah I think people are going to underestimate Italy again (like they did in 06). Have them down to win it myself.

Who is Leon Britton?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

They were unlucky not to make the wc final in 1990 at a time Germany and Arg had v good teams.

Despite all the national euphoria at the time, it has to be remembered they were not the most convincing side either.

Limped past the group stage, almost went to penalties with Belgium before a bit of Platt brilliance, Cameroon should've beaten them in the quarters. They did play well against the Germans, though.

I think the Germans were just about the best team that year, in a mostly boring World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Who's back-up captain? Lampard?

Stewart Downing according to this.

Despite all the national euphoria at the time, it has to be remembered they were not the most convincing side either.

Limped past the group stage, almost went to penalties with Belgium before a bit of Platt brilliance, Cameroon should've beaten them in the quarters. They did play well against the Germans, though.

I think the Germans were just about the best team that year, in a mostly boring World Cup.

Some world Cup. Ireland v Italy was the only game from the quarter-finals onward that wasn't decided by a penalty kick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Who is Leon Britton?

Average Swansea player

I havent read all the pages but England team like this?
    Hart
    Cole Cahill Terry Jones
    Gerrard Lampard Downing Chamberlain??
    Carrol/Wellbeck Rooney

I am sure I have left someone out.
    4 4 2 seems definite though.

Who is Leon Britton?

KeepCalmBritton.png

or the standard footballer pic...

0,,10354~10392975,00.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hart
    Cole Cahill Terry Jones
    Carrol/Wellbeck Rooney

WTF?

Hart
    Cole Cahill Terry Jones
    Carrol/Wellbeck Rooney

well if gary neville has his way then they wont be going for a straight 4-4-2. i would play something like this.

1. hart
    2. jones
    3. cole
    4. terry
    5. lescott
    6.parker
    7.barry
    8. gerrard
    9. welbeck/caroll (til rooney) is back
    10. young
    11. walcott/chambo

variation of 4-3-3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

WTF?

Got to be a windup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Hart
    Cole Cahill Terry Jones
    Carrol/Wellbeck Rooney

I'd guess

..............Hart
    Johnson...Lescott..JT...Cole

............Barry
    ....Gerrard.....Lampard
    Walcott...................Young
    ............Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,984 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Man City), Robert Green (West Ham), John Ruddy (Norwich)

Defenders: Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Man United), John Terry (Chelsea), Joleon Lescott (Man City), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Leighton Baines (Everton)

Midfielders: Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Gareth Barry (Man City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Scott Parker (Tottenham), Ashley Young (Man United), James Milner (Man City)

Strikers: Wayne Rooney (Man United), Danny Welbeck (Man United), Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham)

Stand-by: Jack Butland (Birmingham), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Man City), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea)

Steven Gerrard been confirmed as captain but Rio Ferdinand, Aaron Lennon, Michael Carrick and Peter Crouch out :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Maybe>

Hart
    Johnson
    Cahill
    Terry
    Cole
    Walcott
    Parker
    Lampard
    Gerrard
    Young
    Carroll

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Steven Gerrard been confirmed as captain but Rio Ferdinand, Aaron Lennon, Daniel Sturridge, Michael Carrick and Peter Crouch out :eek:

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

news to me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

SlickRic wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

news to me...

More importantly....has a new manager been named yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Hart
    Johnson--Terry---Cahill
    Cole
    Parker--Barry
    Walcott
    Gerrard
    Young
    Welbeck

I think will be the team for the first two games, with Rooney coming in for Welbeck for the third.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,472 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

You could probably make a team from players left out that would beat the team that will start their first game, so many silly omissions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

bullvine wrote: »
    Maybe>

Hart
    Johnson
    Cahill
    Terry
    Cole
    Walcott
    Parker
    Lampard
    Gerrard
    Young
    Carroll

I reckon your bang on there. Rooney will swap with Carroll for the third game.

It will be close between Lescott and Cahill to partner Terry but I think Cahill will get it.

Oxlaide-Chamberlain and Downing will be back-up for Walcott and Young.

Milner and Barry will be the same for the the Centre mids. If Gerrard is out,push Lampard up and bring in Milner or Barry. If Lampard or Parker are out you do the same thing with no need to change their system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Italy should have a strong defence. Chellini is fit. He was CH for a Juventus side that conceded only 20 goals this season.
    Andrea Barzagli was Juve's best defender this season. I hope he has a good tournament, but I can't see Italy doing well.

stovelid wrote: »
    He has a gay name.

He should change his name to Maicon Richards and then he might get picked at RB again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Is this for real ?

http://twitpic.com/9lpr0n

205171.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

He puts in a hard shift but is a very poor finisher .
    A grafter ,the new Heskey.

I`ve heard it all now. They are in no way similar as players.

• Advertisement
Advertisement