Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eng-er-land Euro2012 squad

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Proves how bad Henderson is that Hodgson is ready to call up Jagielka instead of him if Barry isn't fit .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Proves how bad Henderson is that Hodgson is ready to call up Jagielka instead of him if Barry isn't fit .

Does it not just mean that Jones will be the DM? Henderson is not a DM, and Jag as cover for CH now instead of Jones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Barry Out, Jags In.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Gutted for Barry, had a great season and is much better than he's given credit for.

England should start Milner in the middle now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Gutted for Barry, had a great season and is much better than he's given credit for.

Hopefully they won't.

But there are a serious lack of good cm's in the squad.

Parker, Gerrard and Lamps in front of him, with 2 pacey wingers like Young and Walcott with Rooney up top on his own (against the good teams)

Lamps doesn't get as far forward as he used to so I think Gerrard and Lamps could play together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Hodgson will probably play 4-4-2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

G.K. wrote: »
    Hodgson will probably play 4-4-2

Yeah 4-4-2 is likely, probably with Parker and Gerrard in the middle, Walcott and Young out wide, and Welbeck and Carroll up front.

Unless he goes with Young as a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Completely agree on both counts. I'm not a massive Barry fan in general but he's had a good season and deserved to go.

Ormus wrote: »
    Yeah 4-4-2 is likely, probably with Parker and Gerrard in the middle, Walcott and Young out wide, and Welbeck and Carroll up front.

Young had a decent game up front on Saturday. Also, playing him up top with Milner wide allows a quick and easy change in formation to 4-5-1 during the match as required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Samich wrote: »
    Hopefully they won't.

But there are a serious lack of good cm's in the squad.

Parker, Gerrard and Lamps in front of him, with 2 pacey wingers like Young and Walcott with Rooney up top on his own (against the good teams)

Lamps doesn't get as far forward as he used to so I think Gerrard and Lamps could play together.

Heh, people have been saying that for years and how has it gone?

Gerard is sadly undroppable being captain but I'd bench him in favour of a Parker, Milner, Lampard three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Gerard is sadly undroppable being captain but I'd bench him in favour of a Parker, Milner, Lampard three.

I always thought Milner was average at every facet of the game and that his one strength was his extreme fitness, but he looked a bit off the pace for City lately.

No they haven't. It's only the last 2 seasons lampard has lost his legs. Gerrard has too but he can play more advanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

No they haven't. It's only the last 2 seasons lampard has lost his legs. Gerrard has too but he can play more advanced.

Yes they have. People have been saying Gerrard and Lampard can play together in the middle because Lampard has learned how to play from deep since at least 2006.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Milner in the middle with Parker and Lampard would be the most uncreative midfield England could have. Milner was great in the middle for Villa but not in an advanced way, don't think he's played a lot in the middle for City too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Ormus wrote: »

Young and Carroll up front I reckon.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Yes they have. People have been saying Gerrard and Lampard can play together in the middle because Lampard has learned how to play from deep since at least 2006.

But he hasn't played deep. This is the deepest we've ever seen him play.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

But he hasn't played deep. This is the deepest we've ever seen him play.

He played in the same position for his club years ago too. In terms of number of games in that position maybe he has played more this season, I'm can't remember how often he used line out there in years past. Either way, people have been saying Lampard and Gerrard can play together in the middle for years.

Lampard has been playing deep for England for the last three years now. In Germany it was he and Barry in front of the back four (and we know how well that went).

England's squad list and numbers for Euro 2012:
    1 Hart,
    2 Johnson,
    3 Cole,
    4 Gerrard,
    5 Cahill,
    6 Terry,
    7 Walcott,
    8 Lampard,
    9 Carroll,
    10 Rooney,
    11 Young,
    12 Baines,
    13 Green,
    14 Jones,
    15 Lescott,
    16 Milner,
    17 Parker,
    18 Jagielka,
    19 Downing,
    20 Oxlade-Chamberlain,
    21 Defoe,
    22 Welbeck,
    23 Butland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Gareth Barry ruled out after Hodgson gave up trying to pronounce his name. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

That_Guy wrote: »
    Gareth Barry ruled out after Hodgson gave up trying to pronounce his name. ;)

Gerrard, Terry and Carroll better watch their backs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Looking at the shirt numbers, it's looking like both Lampard (8) and Gerrard (4) will be starting together.

Geln Johnson (2), Cahill (5), Walcott (7) and Carroll (9) all look like they could start as well.

Blatter wrote: »
    Looking at the shirt numbers, it's looking like both Lampard (8) and Gerrard (4) will be starting together.

Geln Johnson (2), Cahill (5), Walcott (7) and Carroll (9) all look like they could start as well.

Hart
    Johnson
    Cahill
    Terry
    A. Cole

Walcott
    Parker
    Lampard----Gerrard

Young
    Carroll

Would be team in that case? Can see it happening definitely. I think he'll start Carroll up top alright.

I think he was always going to play Lamps and Gerrard tbh. Barry would've started for Parker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

cgpg5 wrote: »

Hart
    Johnson
    Cahill
    Terry
    A. Cole

Walcott
    Parker
    Lampard----Gerrard

Young
    Carroll

Would be team in that case? Can see it happening definitely. I think he'll start Carroll up top alright.

I think he was always going to play Lamps and Gerrard tbh. Barry would've started for Parker

Parker's squad number is 17 I think, suggests he won't start when Rooney's fit anyway.

It could be Lampard and Gerrard in the centre, Walcott and Young out wide, Rooney and Carroll up front.

I think the team you posted is quite likely for the first two games.

Blatter wrote: »
    Parker's squad number is 17 I think, suggests he won't start when Rooney's fit anyway.

It could be Lampard and Gerrard in the centre, Walcott and Young out wide, Rooney and Carroll up front.

I think the team you posted is quite likely for the first two games.

Sorry yeah I meant for the first game. Rooney has to come back in the third of course. Whose position he takes depends on injuries/form I guess

• Advertisement

I don't think the squad numbers necessarily mean that those 11 players are the first XI. Gerrard has been '4' and Lampard '8' in other tournament squads (2010 certainly) and I guess that's the thinking.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I don't think the squad numbers necessarily mean that those 11 players are the first XI. Gerrard has been '4' and Lampard '8' in other tournament squads (2010 certainly) and I guess that's the thinking.

Yeah, but tbh Rooney aside I'd be very surprised if Hodgson went for anything bar the 1-11.

I can't see Lampard starting, to be honest. I think it'll be a similar system to the one used in Norway with a Walcott Parker Gerrard Milner midfield.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I can't see Lampard starting, to be honest. I think it'll be a similar system to the one used in Norway with a Walcott Parker Gerrard Milner midfield.

Yeah Lampard is a close call alright. Bar that I reckon that will be the team he definitely goes for. I've no arguments with it really.

Granted there'll surely be an injury or two before it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Who is covering RB now that Jones has pretty much been moved to cover CM? Can Jagielka play there? I thought he was primarily a centre-half.

I've said it a few times but Richards must be really gutted that he's not there, especially seeing as the only obvious cover for RB is also covering another position. It's crazy imo.

Jones will probably still cover RB. Otherwise it'll be Jagielka I guess (Or Milner at a stretch?)

Who is covering RB now that Jones has pretty much been moved to cover CM? Can Jagielka play there? I thought he was primarily a centre-half.

I've said it a few times but Richards must be really gutted that he's not there, especially seeing as the only obvious cover for RB is also covering another position. It's crazy imo.

Jags can cover it too but I'm sure Jones will start in it should Johnson get injured.

Such an avoidable mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

i really truly fear Hodgson may fall into the "Downing trap". The one many former managers have fallen into where they think he provides natural width and balance to the side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Has Hodgson made any comment about why Richards is not in the squad?

Yeah - he sid it was richards or jones as backup RB's who could also play as a CB.

Lampard pulled up in training with a thigh injury.

He'll be assessed by the medical team, and scanned tomorrow. Jordan Henderson is on standby to replace him :D.

Hope that he's ok. As I said I would not be surprised to see him in the team.

Stewart Downing of all people could benefit more than anyone if he is sent home (assuming Roy's original plan was to play Gerrard wing). He'd prob see a lot more action in that case (generally wingers are substituted and if not starting he'll be the first sub on due to the likelihood Young will be up top in first 2 games)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If Barry and Lampard are out then Hodgson needs to give Scholes a call...

As a Utd fan I don't want him to go, but as a football fan I REALLY want to see Scholes at the Euros. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Lampard is out . Henderson going now

Huge loss - Lampard easily the best of a bad bunch of CM players.

Henderson should not be going. It should be either Leon Britton or Johnny Howson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

G.K. wrote: »
    Huge loss - Lampard easily the best of a bad bunch of CM players.

Henderson should not be going. It should be either Leon Britton or Johnny Howson.

I think you are overrating Howson

I probably am, but only one of Howson and Henderson has bossed the midfield against 'big clubs' this season. And it ain't the Liverpool man.

Johnson to Henderson to Gerrard to Downing back to Gerrard to Carroll - MISS! GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL! :D

was listening to TalkSport last night and a caller (a Man Utd fan) put forward a theory that Hodgson is attempting to appease Liverpool fans. In some way trying to distort the lasting impression he left on Merseyside by picking a few of the boys.

It might be ridiculous. On one level LFC fans on here for the most part have no time for Woy, so i am guessing english LFC fans feel likewise, hence this will do nothing.

On the other hand, how can anybody justify the squad? Liverpool finished 8th in the league and have a quarter of the entire squad. Henderson and Downing should be nowhere near the squad, Johnson had an average season, Gerrard by his high standards was very poor all year and Carroll had a shocker barring the las month.

Yet you have the likes of Micah Richards, Michael Carrick, Daniel Sturridge, who all played decent-sized roles in title winning or title challeging campaigns overlooked entirely. Hodgson may just be picking these players based on the "i know what they can do" mantra, but they evidently did not perform under him so i wonder why the Euros will be any different.

If Downing in particular gets anywhere near the 1st team it's a scandal but i fear he may even well start against France.

I reckon it's 50/50 that Downing will start. Depends on whether Hodgson rates Milner as a left-sided player. I think Walcott will play on the other flank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

was listening to TalkSport last night and a caller (a Man Utd fan) put forward a theory that Hodgson is attempting to appease Liverpool fans. In some way trying to distort the lasting impression he left on Merseyside by picking a few of the boys.

It might be ridiculous. On one level LFC fans on here for the most part have no time for Woy, so i am guessing english LFC fans feel likewise, hence this will do nothing.

On the other hand, how can anybody justify the squad? Liverpool finished 8th in the league and have a quarter of the entire squad. Henderson and Downing should be nowhere near the squad, Johnson had an average season, Gerrard by his high standards was very poor all year and Carroll had a shocker barring the las month.

Yet you have the likes of Micah Richards, Michael Carrick, Daniel Sturridge, who all played decent-sized roles in title winning or title challeging campaigns overlooked entirely. Hodgson may just be picking these players based on the "i know what they can do" mantra, but they evidently did not perform under him so i wonder why the Euros will be any different.

If Downing in particular gets anywhere near the 1st team it's a scandal but i fear he may even well start against France.

Carroll, Henderson, or Downing were signed after Hodgson had left :confused:.

Johnson should be in the squad. If Richards was to be included it should have been over Jones but apparently he is terrible in numerous positions so got the nod. Carrick ruled himself out, I think? and if Sturridge went it should have been in place of Welbeck as Carroll is gone to offer them a different alternative, although Crouch probably should have gone in his place.

Sturridge should have been in before defoe, if he was going to be included. However he was excluded and rightly so imo.

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Carroll, Henderson, or Downing were signed after Hodgson had left :confused:.

Johnson should be in the squad. If Richards was to be included it should have been over Jones but apparently he is terrible in numerous positions so got the nod. Carrick ruled himself out, I think? and if Sturridge went it should have been in place of Welbeck as Carroll is gone to offer them a different alternative, although Crouch probably should have gone in his place.
    i know but point of the caller is picking some LFC boys might appease their fans and the ones he had under him didnt perform....

Advertisement