Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eng-er-land Euro2012 squad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

G.K. wrote: »
    Sturridge should have been in before defoe, if he was going to be included. However he was excluded and rightly so imo.

Couldn't think of who else was in the squad, but yeah he was rightly excluded, he would offer nothing to the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Can see Downing starting on the left. Don't see Hodgson selecting Milner there. Will very likely be 4 Pool players starting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Re:lampard, and with my tinfoil hat firmly on!!

I wonder how injured he actually is.....if Uncle Arry was there do you think he'd pull out injured??? He didn't exactly burst himself for AVB this season did he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

At this stage the injury has to be ratified by independant UEFA doctors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Jordan Henderson must feel like he picked the right bingo number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

G.K. wrote: »
    At this stage the injury has to be ratified by independant UEFA doctors.

Interesting. I've never heard of anything like that before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Interesting. I've never heard of anything like that before.

It's no big deal . They're just there to see that teams don't change their squads whenever they want after the deadline .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Re:lampard, and with my tinfoil hat firmly on!!

I wonder how injured he actually is.....if Uncle Arry was there do you think he'd pull out injured??? He didn't exactly burst himself for AVB this season did he?
    AVB only played him sporadically. Lampard has always played his best for England tbf. He was one of their better players in WC2010.

This was his last chance at playing in a big International tournament and a chance to win back some pride after the tonking they got from Germany so I'd say he'd be gutted to miss out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Well it solves the Gerrard - Lampard cant play together conundrum. Weird one bringing Henderson. Just show's what a humble man Hodgson is picking so many Liverpool players after what that club done to him.

Parker, Gerrard Barry midfield maybe with young and walcott on the wings and carroll/Rooney up front.

Or

Walcott Parker Gerrard Downing
    ................Young
    ..........Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Well it solves the Gerrard - Lampard cant play together conundrum. Weird one bringing Henderson. Just show's what a humble man Hodgson is picking so many Liverpool players after what that club done to him.

Parker, Gerrard Barry midfield maybe with young and walcott on the wings and carroll/Rooney up front.

Or

Walcott Parker Gerrard Downing
    ................Young
    ..........Rooney

Barry isn't going and Parker is doubtful.

You don't really keep up to date on stuff Oranage2, would explain the Lucas is crap stuff.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

K-9 wrote: »

You don't really keep up to date on stuff Oranage2, would explain the Lucas is crap stuff.

I have been a little busy this week and to be honest England's Euro team isnt really a major concern of mine.

And I'm done discussing Lucas, I've made my point I cant really say much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Should have brought Carrick, far and away the best English Midfielder this season in the premiership, feckin joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

i know but point of the caller is picking some LFC boys might appease their fans and the ones he had under him didnt perform....

I doubt Hodgson even cares/ would be aware of what Liverpool fans think of him. I think its that he is just completely inept. With the inclusion of the likes of Jones and Downing (and now Henderson) you can only suggest that he doesn't actually watch much football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

K-9 wrote: »

Parker is fine, I think. His was a case of an injection either would or wouldn't clear up his problem and by the looks of him against Norway it did.

bullvine wrote: »
    Should have brought Carrick, far and away the best English Midfielder this season in the premiership, feckin joke.

How do you suggested England call up a player who asked not to be called up? Kidnap?

Beefy78 wrote: »
    How do you suggested England call up a player who asked not to be called up? Kidnap?

Carrick should have been in the squad from the start, he told Hodgson not to pick him if he was gonna be in the standby list, which he shouldnt have been in after the season hes had.

He didn't say not to pick him on the stand-by list he told him not to pick him if he wasn't going to be a key part of the squad, and that has been his position for more than a year now. As it turned out, he would have been absolutely central to the squad.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    He didn't say not to pick him on the stand-by list he told him not to pick him if he wasn't going to be a key part of the squad, and that has been his position for more than a year now. As it turned out, he would have been absolutely central to the squad.

Its a little unclear as to what exactly happened in fairness. The comments I read were as follows from hodgson.

“I wouldn’t dream of putting Michael Carrick on a standby list after he’s made it clear in the past he doesn’t want to be involved like that,” Hodgson said. “I’d have to be convinced he was better than the four [central midfielders] I’ve selected, and that he’d be happy to come out of retirement.”

Not really sure what to make of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Walcott gone down in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

SSN cameras glued on to Walcott now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No loss, release the OX!

God they're dropping like flies over there. At this rate Lee Trundle will be starting against France.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

It's Aaron Lennon time.

Give pace a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Ormus wrote: »
    It's Aaron Lennon time.

Give pace a chance.

Hodgson is a big fan of Lennon but for now will keep on playing those mind games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Ormus wrote: »
    It's Aaron Lennon time.

Give pace a chance.

Don't get why he is not at least on standby. Such a classy player.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Confirmed Belgium team for tomorrow vs England - Mignolet; Gillet-Simons-Vermaelen-Vertonghen; Dembele-Witsel; Mirallas-Fellaini-Mertens; Hazard

Hazard will play lead the line as a false no.9. Vermaelen LB I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Someone tie Kess73 down!

It'll be a decent test against a good Belgium side. England haven't lost a pre-tournament friendly since 1990 so I'll call a narrow 2-1 win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Gary Cahill out.

Martin Kelly in.

On SSN now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Jesus, another Liverpool player?! Richards must be fuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Is there any England player from Liverpool who haven't got call up? Should pack their bags they will be the next if anyone gets injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Thought England might do something at the Euros but doubt it now.

How many Liverpool players in it? They are in cack form. It's like bringing 5 or 6 Aston Villa players.

Micah Richards not brought?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Seeing as Liverpool had a transfer policy last year of buy British, it's not that surprising they are well represented.

The Belgian lad was a right sh!t for pushing Cahill the way he did!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Very strange bringing Kelly in. Would definitely have bought Jagielka or Richards in, or Rio Ferdinand if it really was for football reasons he wasn't picked (it obviously wasn't). Not sure I would even have picked Kelly after them three!

Terry and Lescott to start then.

EDIT: Asked why Jagielka hadn't been called up, when he already has.

/plank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

I'd love to know what Richards did to Hodgson to not get in the team

Also lol at Frimpong on Twitter

Lol England Wooow If I am Jonjo shelvey I should Cancel my holidays and wait patiently For Not soo Suprised England Call up #liverpool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I'd love to know what Richards did to Hodgson to not get in the team

Also lol at Frimpong on Twitter

Lol England Wooow If I am Jonjo shelvey I should Cancel my holidays and wait patiently For Not soo Suprised England Call up #liverpool

Capello was the same!! Always ignored him!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Very strange bringing Kelly in. Would definitely have bought Jagielka or Richards in, or Rio Ferdinand if it really was for football reasons he wasn't picked (it obviously wasn't). Not sure I would even have picked Kelly after them three!

Terry and Lescott to start then.

Actually, whats the point if having a standby list and you dont pick the defender from that standby list? Jagielka standing by for what?

Jagielka has already been called up to the squad to replace Barry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Jagielka has already been called up to the squad to replace Barry.

Of course he has! So many withdrawals, so little brains on my part! Time for a ninja edit, but my original error will still be there in your quote!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

monkey9 wrote: »
    Seeing as Liverpool had a transfer policy last year of buy British, it's not that surprising they are well represented.
    Yes it, when you consider Liverpool's form, the calibre of the players, and the calibre of some of the players not going, it's very surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Mancienne will be next in line soon enough, they are dropping like flies in the English camp!

• Advertisement

Not really a surprise to see a relative nobody (albeit a promising player) brought in for Cahill. Hodgson has had enough chances at this stage to bring in Richards but he is flat out refusing. It's one of the most baffling omissions from a squad of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

monkey9 wrote: »

The Belgian lad was a right sh!t for pushing Cahill the way he did!!

Just because they are british and playing for liverpool doesn't mean they're any good, and the league table shows them up.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Is there any England player from Liverpool who haven't got call up? Should pack their bags they will be the next if anyone gets injured.

Jay Spearing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Samich wrote: »
    How many Liverpool players in it? They are in cack form. It's like bringing 5 or 6 Aston Villa players.

might be a smart move, remember liverpool only lost one cup game all season and they were the width of a post and an incredible save away from not losing that game, euros knockout tournament :P

Jay Spearing?

Think he ruled himself out, apparently school holidays are not until July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Jay Spearing?

Scotty Parker better wrap himself in cotton wool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Roy Hodgson doing his absolute best to get some favour back among Liverpool supporters.

Still no Richards or Rio is absolutely crazy. Martin Kelly is a beyond laughable inclusion - 10 league games. Wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

kelly is a quality player imo and would be a regular for liverpool if it wasnt for injuries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Think he ruled himself out, apparently school holidays are not until July.

He's holding out for a call-up from Ireland. He noticed that our strategy involves our CMs being completely anonymous and ineffective and reckons he'll fit right in.

Roy Hodgson doing his absolute best to get some favour back among Liverpool supporters.

That's definitely it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement