Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eng-er-land Euro2012 squad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Samich wrote: »
    Just because they are british and playing for liverpool doesn't mean they're any good, and the league table shows them up.

How many English players are in the first teams of the clubs who finished above Liverpool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Team is a f*cking joke. Martin f*cking Kelly, Jesus Christ. I think I may do that thing I've known Irish lads to do where they shout for their country sure but they pick one of the big teams that they were rooting for the whole time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

BREAKING: Rio Ferdinand is set to engineer a rush move to Liverpool so he can get a call up for the Euros.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Liverpool are now the no.1 represented club in the English Squad with 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Still no Richards or Rio is absolutely crazy. Martin Kelly is a beyond laughable inclusion - 10 league games. Wow.

chamberlain started 6 league games for the arse last season, kelly started 12 league games for liverpool....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

double GG wrote: »
    Liverpool are now the no.1 represented club in the English Squad with 5.

Downing
    Carroll
    Gerrard
    Henderson
    Johnson
    Kelly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Hopefully karma bites that Mertens guy in the ass if Belgium qualify for a tournament in the future. Idiot costing a player their spot in the Euro's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

rossie1977 wrote: »
    chamberlain started 6 league games for the arse last season, kelly started 12 league games for liverpool....

Ox had some great performances against AC Milan and Man Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Ox had some great performances against AC Milan and Man Utd.

kelly scored against the european champions

• Advertisement

aaronh007 wrote: »

Downing
    Carroll
    Gerrard
    Henderson
    Johnson
    Kelly

And if I was the manager I wouldn't have any starting.

kelly scored against the european champions

Yeah because that's what right backs are supposed to do.

Good for you. Just shows up how poor a manager Hodgson is. Not that a few of us had any doubts about that in the first place ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Rio on twitter.
    What reasons?????!!!

Hahaha, some man.

Downing
    Carroll
    Gerrard
    Henderson
    Johnson
    Kelly

For some reason I forgot to include Kelly. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

If you were the manager, there would be no Liverpool players in the squad and every English Man Utd player would be guaranteed a starting place

• Advertisement

Good for you. Just shows up how poor a manager Hodgson is. Not that a few of us had any doubts about that in the first place ;)

Hodgson is a decent manager, well I thought anyways. His decisions are baffling. He should have brought Crouch instead of Carroll, always scores for England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

monkey9 wrote: »
    How many English players are in the first teams of the clubs who finished above Liverpool?
    32. Not all are in the first XI but all regularly play, that Defoe and Ox, among others, excluded, along with players from teams below Liverpool. Makes it all the more baffling as to how there are 6 Liverpool players. Didn't realise Williamson was English until checking just there, he must be fuming as well, Newcastle are very hard done by in this sqaud, Simpson & Williamson should be there ahead of Kelly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

The gap between Kelly and Ferdinand/Richards is bigger than the gap between Chamberlain and the wingers that didn't go, besides maybe Lennon who probably wasn't selected because he's too similar to Walcott. So at least there's a bit of decent reasoning behind that.

If you were the manager, there would be no Liverpool players in the squad and every English Man Utd player would be guaranteed a starting place

No I'd have the best English players starting

Hart

Richards---Terry----Smalling----Cole

Walcott----Parker----Milner
    Young

Rooney

Crouch/Welbeck

All these players apart from Crouch coming from top 4 or a champions league winning team.

THFC wrote: »
    32. Not all are in the first XI but all regularly play, that Defoe and Ox, among others, excluded, along with players from teams below Liverpool. Makes it all the more baffling as to how there are 6 Liverpool players. Didn't realise Williamson was English until checking just there, he must be fuming as well, Newcastle are very hard done by in this sqaud, Simpson & Williamson should be there ahead of Kelly.

Not sure about Williamson but Simpson definitely. Played almost every game as far as I remember and had the season of his life. Better than Kelly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Shawcross another who would have been a far better option. If England crash and burn this summer Woy will have no one to blame but himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

For the sake of argument if you were to simply define "first XI" as the 11 players who got the most minutes for their club last season then only 27 out of 77 places were English.

Shawcross another who would have been a far better option. If England crash and burn this summer Woy will have no one to blame but himself.

'Cos he plays for Stoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Liverpool have confirmed their pre-season tour of Poland and Ukraine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Shawcross another who would have been a far better option. When England crash and burn this summer Woy will have no one to blame but himself.

Fyp

Danny Murphy is probably eagerly packing his bags now for when James Milner suddenly has to drop out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Stan Collymore is implying on twitter that Micah Richards refused to go on the stand-by list and went on holiday instead, hence why he has not been called up. Phil McNulty has also tweeted something along the same lines.

EDIT - and now Matt Lawton has just come out and confirmed that. Fair enough.

With Jay Spearing still in school and Carragher not being English (or whatever his issue is) it would appear the next likely target for Woy is Jonjo Shelvey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Shame for Cahill but this should mean that Lescott starts, which should have been the case all along. He's a much better player than Cahill is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Ledley King will get a call before Rio does.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I'm surprised Konchesky hasn't got the call up yet

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Stan Collymore is implying on twitter that Micah Richards refused to go on the stand-by list and went on holiday instead, hence why he has not been called up. Phil McNulty has also tweeted something along the same lines.

I've heard that one of the biggest ongoing issue in the England camp (and probably the camps of all the biggest national teams) is that you're dealing with 23 star players who are automatic choices for big clubs every week and telling 12 of them they're going to be sitting on the bench for the duration.

Tho in Richards case that might not be an issue as he can't even get his game for City any more either. Either way I think the guy made a mistake not making himself available for the standby/friendly squads.

kitakyushu wrote: »
    I've heard that one of the biggest ongoing issue in the England camp (and probably the camps of all the biggest national teams) is that you're dealing with 23 star players who are automatic choices for big clubs every week and telling 12 of them they're going to be sitting on the bench for the duration.

Tho in Richards case that might not be an issue as he can't even get his game for City any more either. Either way I think the guy made a mistake not making himself available for the standby/friendly squads.

he was injured and missed about 4 games through that and then zabaleta had been playing so well that he kept his place for the last 3 games of the season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i still beleive in you lads. do it for the queen and the diamond jubilee

ricero wrote: »
    i still beleive in you lads. do it for the queen and the diamond jubilee

England probably would have won World Cup 90 if Barnes hadn't already divulged their complete range of tactics in that song there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

J. Marston wrote: »
    Hopefully karma bites that Mertens guy in the ass if Belgium qualify for a tournament in the future. Idiot costing a player their spot in the Euro's.

Me too. Such a stupid, and horrible thing to do. Especially in a friendly. I feel sorry for Cahill. Had a fantastic season and to be fair he deserved his place. Now he'll miss out.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Roy Hodgson doing his absolute best to get some favour back among Liverpool supporters.

Still no Richards or Rio is absolutely crazy. Martin Kelly is a beyond laughable inclusion - 10 league games. Wow.
    :confused:

Ferdinand - his own club manager questioning his ability to play the games. Why give a spot to another player who will only be able to play bit-part?

Richards - did he not say he didn't want to be on the standby list, like Carrick? Bet he's regretting that decision now anyway, too many of these players have an inflated sense of self importance. You should be proud to be on the standby list for your country ffs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Beefy78 wrote: »

He must feel like a right tit now.

awec wrote: »
    :confused:

Ferdinand - his own club manager questioning his ability to play the games. Why give a spot to another player who will only be able to play bit-part?

Richards - did he not say he didn't want to be on the standby list, like Carrick? Bet he's regretting that decision now anyway, too many of these players have an inflated sense of self importance. You should be proud to be on the standby list for your country ffs.

Pretty much. Roy said it was down to Jones or Richards, and he picked Jones. Which is hilarious. And then Richards said he didn't want to be on the waiting list. Can't blame him really, should have been included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

I want them to do well, because Hodgson seems like a decent sort. But, you have to wonder what kind of politics he is playing in his own head, with these callups.

I am worried he will be Graham Taylor 2.0. Back in 1992, you had Chris Waddle playing at a really high level for future EC winners Marseille, yet decent but not spectacular players like Andy Sinton where considered better options in his own mind.

I know the media want to bring him down eventually, but he iss tarting to ask for some of it.

Pretty much. Roy said it was down to Jones or Richards, and he picked Jones. Which is hilarious. And then Richards said he didn't want to be on the waiting list. Can't blame him really, should have been included.
    You can't blame him? I can.

Throwing a hissy fit because he wasn't selected, fair play to Hodgson for ignoring him now too then.

Nothing hilarious about that choice of Jones over Richards either. I think Richards is overhyped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Nothing hilarious about that choice of Jones over Richards either. I think Richards is overhyped.

Jones is the poster child for "overhyped".

Throwing a hissy fit because he wasn't selected, fair play to Hodgson for ignoring him now too then.

Do you think a guy who is not a regular for a mid-table team is seriously better? Liverpool fans think he is a top player because they have had to put up with Adam, Downing, Carroll, etc. So, of course he looks really good.

It is not just about Richards, but Ledley King? Ryan Shawcross? Kelly is a decent pro, but not international material.

I know the media want to bring him down eventually, but he iss tarting to ask for some of it.

The media isn't happy unless it's them picking the team. Then if they get their wishes the team still loses anyway and it's the managers fault for not sticking to his convictions.

kitakyushu wrote: »
    The media isn't happy unless it's them picking the team. Then if they get their wishes the team still loses anyway and it's the managers fault for not sticking to his convictions.

Without a decent set of players outside of the first XI, he will have to take a lot of the blame if they don't do well.

• Advertisement

Richards is far from overhyped. Richards played a massive part of the destruction of United in the game at OT this season, and he had a great season. Hes a beast, hes quick, good crosser of the ball. While I love Jones. Hes not a right back. And he can't cross for ****. Richards is a way better player than Jones.

Do you think a guy who is not a regular for a mid-table team is seriously better? Liverpool fans think he is a top player because they have had to put up with Adam, Downing, Carroll, etc. So, of course he looks really good.

It is not just about Richards, but Ledley King? Ryan Shawcross? Kelly is a decent pro, but not international material.
    Richards didn't want to be considered, why are people going on about this? Ferdinand's own manager doesn't think he can do it.

Ledley King? Are you for real? The guy can barely get through a season at Tottenham, he's held together with cellotape. You really think he's going to play for England again?

Shawcross?!

Kelly isn't brilliant, but it's not as if there was a wealth of options.

Richards is far from overhyped. Richards played a massive part of the destruction of United in the game at OT this season, and he had a great season. Hes a beast, hes quick, good crosser of the ball. While I love Jones. Hes not a right back. And he can't cross for ****. Richards is a way better player than Jones.
    Doesn't deserve a call up though. Not after that "I don't want to be on the standby list".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Ledley King has retired from football, hasn't he??

Richards didn't want to be considered, why are people going on about this? Ferdinand's own manager doesn't think he can do it.

Ledley King? Are you for real? The guy can barely get through a season at Tottenham, he's held together with cellotape. You really think he's going to play for England again?

Shawcross?!

Kelly isn't brilliant, but it's not as if there was a wealth of options.

You only play six matches max in a tourney, so there is a good chance King could get through it, if something happens to Lescott (who should be in the first XI, no doubt).

Shawcross is a great campaigner for Stoke, but again because it is Stoke, he can be overlooked by managers/press who are so obsessed about the 'big clubs'.

It is not just the defenders, but Britton, Sinclair, Graham, Holt, Crouch, Jarvis, Hoillet, etc are all coming off fine seasons, yet suffer from the 'smaller club syndrome'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement