Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eng-er-land Euro2012 squad

1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they can. Think the only reason he hasn't is because there's no remaining English strikers at Liverpool to call up.

Couldn't help yourself could you? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

That funeral won't be for at least two weeks. There is every chance Defoe will be back for the game on Monday. He'd have a few days at home. I think he'll return.

Why 2 weeks ? How did he die ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It takes a long time to have a funeral and bury someone in the UK, no idea why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Nah. Usually a week unless there's an issue getting the coroner to sign off on cause. I've never been to a funeral more than a week after the death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

football 365 say hodgson hasnt called up a replacement and defoe intends to return to the squad at a later stage. very sad news for him indeed

Shame - he was desperate to bring another central defender in :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Nah. Usually a week unless there's an issue getting the coroner to sign off on cause. I've never been to a funeral more than a week after the death.

Off topic but why does it take so long ? If i died today i could be buried by Saturday over here in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Good question. It can be quicker than that, for example my Best Friend is Jewish and his Gran was buried the day after she died a couple of years ago. I'd have thought that if you needed to have someone buried within a day or two, for religious or other reasons, it could be done but if there's no rush then most people in the UK take a few days longer to get things organised.

Fortunately I've never had to organise one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

It takes a long time to have a funeral and bury someone in the UK, no idea why.

Death certificate has to be acquired prior to burial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Off topic but why does it take so long ? If i died today i could be buried by Saturday over here in Ireland

I've posted below, in Ireland the death certificate can be acquired by the next of kin after the burial. It must be presented before in England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Has Britton the pace, energy and movement to counter balance the fact that of the 80 odd passes that find his man that man will give it away? Britton is great in a system where all the players are comfortable on the ball and comfortable taking the ball despite being pressed by the oppostion. I think he'd be made to look utterly ridiculous by what is around him in England. Through no fault of his own mind!

I would have said Britton and Carrick might actually have been the only combination that would have worked in an English 4-4-2. Walcott and Lennon are too profligate in possession and Glen Johnson! Jesus. Gary Cahill would be fine and it comfortable with the ball at his feet. Rio Ferdinand the same.

He'd have plenty of hard working athletes around him to cover ground. Plus that very disciplined system Hodgson uses means there is slightly less ground to cover because of how they hold a position. His positioning and reading of the game is very good which helps him a lot too. I don't think it would be a problem.

I agree with your idea of putting the best available ball players around him. Having the better ball players in each position would help the team whether Britton is there or not imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

BBC News just quoted Hodgson as saying that he didn't give Rio a call up as it would have been disrespectful to do so when he wouldn't be given a starting roll......

Is this guy for real?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

have a feeling Hodgson will line them up like this:

Hart

Johnson
    Terry
    Lescott
    Cole

Parker

Milner
    Gerard
    Downing

Young

Carroll

Young and Gerard filling back in, with Milner and Downing doing likewise. The back 6 are solid. Creativity wise, very very poor. Simply can't see this England side scoring many goals.

He may go with Wellbeck, i doubt it though for some reason. But i can just see him lining up to hit Carroll from the start, which will be a shame he'll be so isolated he'll be in a no-win situation. He doesn't have the pace or trickery to do much, that's not his game, but playing so deep will mean he won't have anyone to flick the ball down to or hold the ball up for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I will be astonished if Carroll starts ahead of Welbeck, especially if Young starts in the number 10 role.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

BBC News just quoted Hodgson as saying that he didn't give Rio a call up as it would have been disrespectful to do so when he wouldn't be given a starting roll......

Is this guy for real?
    Makes sense. Why would you call up Ferdinand to be 5th choice cover?

Terry and Lescott will start with Jagielka and Jones as cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Makes sense in the same way that the earth is flat makes sense alright...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

has anyone asked roy about Micah Richards ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

kryogen wrote: »
    Makes sense in the same way that the earth is flat makes sense alright...

Ferdinand was banging on about respect, naming him purely for the sake of it and not playing him would be disrespectful to him (Rio) and whichever youngster was not called up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Roy said having not named Rio in the 23, when Cahill got injured he didn't even consider him - wanting a RB. So he called Kyle Walker to ask if his toe had healed up, he was told no, so he went for Martin Kelly to give him some tournament experience. That is ok by me logic wise.

He said the only thing that hurt is people implying he believes Martin Kelly to be a better footballer to Rio when that is simply not true.

Where it falls down is the implication Lescott, Jagielka, Jones are better CB's than Rio. I wouldn't have either one of them ahead of Rio on form this season or on class overall.

So the Kelly call-up and rationale makes sense and is fair enough. The rest of it is a nonsense and i don't think "footballing reasons" will ever justify the fact if the John Terry-Anton Ferdinand incident had never happened, Rio would be at the Euros. Full stop.

Advertisement