Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eng-er-land Euro2012 squad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

right...predictions....

GK: Hart, Foster, Green

D: G. Johnson, Jones, Cole, Baines, Lescott, Cahill, Terry, Jagielka

M: Gerrard (c), Scholes, Barry, Young, Downing, Lampard, Walcott, A. Johnson, Milner

F: Rooney, Carroll, Welbeck, Sturridge, Defoe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Beefy78 wrote: »
    We're far, far more likely to win Euro 2012 than we are a World Cup in Brazil. And I say that as someone who will be happy if we get out of the group this time.

So true. England are drawing dead for Brazil 2014 tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Ferguson hung Rio out to dry by stating he can't play 4 games in a row, pretty much forced Roy to pick Terry. Could be possible that Rio wanted that to happen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Predictions:

GK: Hart, Green, Ruddy

M: Lennon, Walcott, Young, Milner, Gerrard (C), Parker, Lampard, Barry

F: Rooney, Welbeck, Caroll, Sturridge

Edit: Ruddy in for Foster
    Carrick in for Parker IF Parker is injured

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Renn wrote: »
    Tbf, I saw mobile + playing well and the first thing that came in to my head was that.

I'm happy with my dick wagging, thank you very much.

That's absolute bollocks, but I guess bollocks and dick wagging do go together, anatomically speaking anyway.
    Mobility and diving have no relation, While I wouldn't class Carroll as quick, generally quick players do plenty of diving, Gerrard in his pomp, Drogba, Ronaldo, Di Maria, Alves, all what you'd call mobile plaayers, who dive - so your point doesn't even make a tiny bit of sense.
    Anyway, wag on as is your want.

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    right...predictions....

GK: Hart, Carson, Green

M: Gerrard (c), Scholes, Barry, Young, Downing, Lampard, Walcott, A. Johnson, Milner

You have 2 too many players there Slick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

right...predictions....

GK: Hart, Carson, Green

No parker?

I can't see Roy not picking him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Alledgedly may not make it with his injuries.

No parker?

injured no?!
    Local_Chap wrote: »

ha, so i do! and i meant to put in Foster, not Carson. always getting them mixed up...

D: G. Johnson, Jones, Cole, Baines, Lescott, Cahill, Terry

M: Gerrard (c), Scholes, Barry, Young, Lampard, Walcott, A. Johnson, Milner

Predictions:

GK: Hart, Green, Foster

M: Lennon, Walcott, Young, Milner, Gerrard (C), Parker, Lampard, Barry

F: Rooney, Welbeck, Caroll, Sturridge
    No parker?
    G.K. wrote: »
    Alledgedly may not make it with his injuries.

If Parker is out with an injury, Carrrick will replace him in the squad I have picked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

G.K. wrote: »
    He didn't lose his place, he got injured and zabaleta came in and was excellent. You don't drop a player in form. Unless you're Kenny Dalglish and the player in question is called Andy Carroll of course.
    He lost his place to Zabaleta. If a player is not playing games, it's unlikely that he will get called up to the England side, particularly if he hasn't been that involved with the side previously.

My overall point is that it would not be a huge surprise if he did not get in. People above have said that it would be crazy and that he was one of the best fullbacks in the league. I don't think he was, at all.

If Parker is out with an injury, Carrrick will replace him in the squad I have picked

he should.

but i don't think he will.

with Scholes, Gerrard, Milner there, i reckon Roy thinks he has that covered.

remember, most of England thinks Steven Gerrard is CM who can do anything.

No parker?

injured no?!

ha, so i do! and i meant to put in Foster, not Carson. always getting them mixed up...

D: G. Johnson, Jones, Cole, Baines, Lescott, Cahill, Terry

M: Gerrard (c), Scholes, Barry, Young, Lampard, Walcott, A. Johnson, Milner

Is foster not still retired ?

he should.

but i don't think he will.

with Scholes, Gerrard, Milner there, i reckon Roy thinks he has that covered.

remember, most of England thinks Steven Gerrard is CM who can do anything.
    I only just saw scholes in there too. He hasn't played for England for 8 years and hasn't shown any indication that'll change afaik

yup.

but Roy was going to ask him to come out of retirement, and i think it might work.

you know how these precious footballers like to be made feel wanted :p
    I only just saw scholes in there too. He hasn't played for England for 8 years and hasn't shown any indication that'll change afaik

i may be spectacularly wide of the mark, but i just have a hunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'm not sure. I'm wondering if Scholes may be a shock pick today. I'm not sure Giggs would have come out yesterday and spoken at length about what Scholes would offer England if he thought that his team mate of 15 years had zero interest in returning.

He is but with he was playing under Hodgson for West Brom so I reckon he will go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

if looking for suprise selections i'll go with martin kelly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What time is the squad being announced?

What time is the squad being announced?

1PM I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Does anyone think Hodgson could choose Crouch instead of Carroll? I heard he's after saying he'll be willing to select players that haven't performed well in previous tournaments, so could that be a hint to selecting Crouch I wonder? I couldn't see him selecting both Carroll and Crouch

Slic, Foster has apparently affirmed that he won't be coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

1PM I think!

SS News says News Conference is from 2.00pm on

Edit: You are correct . The panel will be announced at 1.00pm:o

the squad is being announced at 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Cokeistan wrote: »
    Does anyone think Hodgson could choose Crouch instead of Carroll? I heard he's after saying he'll be willing to select players that haven't performed well in previous tournaments, so could that be a hint to selecting Crouch I wonder? I couldn't see him selecting both Carroll and Crouch

Nope, he has already called Crouchy and told him he is out. Same with Micah Richards, even more bizarrely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Great call leaving out Rio imo. Just not up to it anymore. JT the far better option. Him and Lescott will be a decent partnership.

Dropping Richards is criminal though. Even if Walker was fit I'd have him starting never mind in the squad.

Carroll ahead of Crouch is the better call too imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Johnson is better than Richards imo and Roy seems happy for Jones to be in the squad as backup ahead of Richards because he's more versatile.

Don't see the big deal with Richards being left out tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

John Ruddy treading on twitter. Seemedly he is in the squad. 3rd keeper bit of nothing position but I can think of many I'd have ahead of Ruddy.

ShagNastii wrote: »
    John Ruddy treading on twitter. Seemedly he is in the squad. 3rd keeper bit of nothing position but I can think of many I'd have ahead of Ruddy.

It's a position England are seriously lacking in. Joe Hart is probably the one player they can't afford to lose

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Carroll in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Predictions:

GK: Hart, Ruddy, Green

D: Johnson, Jones, Terry, Cahill, Lescott, Baines, Cole

M: Young, Milner, Gerrard , Parker, Lampard, Barry, Walcott, Lennon

F: Rooney, Welbeck, Carroll, Defoe, Bent

Johner wrote: »
    Predictions:

GK: Hart, Ruddy, Green

D: Johnson, Jones, Terry, Cahill, Lescott, Baines, Cole

M: Young, Milner, Gerrard , Parker, Lampard, Barry, Walcott, Lennon

F: Rooney, Welbeck, Carroll, Defoe, Bent

Swap Bent out for A. Johnson and Carrick in for Parker (who is supposedly injured) and that'll be very close to what the squad is imo.

He lost his place to Zabaleta. If a player is not playing games, it's unlikely that he will get called up to the England side, particularly if he hasn't been that involved with the side previously.

My overall point is that it would not be a huge surprise if he did not get in. People above have said that it would be crazy and that he was one of the best fullbacks in the league. I don't think he was, at all.

No he didn't. Why can't people understand this. Richards got injured Zabaleta came in did a super job, Richards came back with 3 games to go and Mancini couldn't just drop Zabaleta cos he did such a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Rumours seem to suggest he is going to go with a lot of the players that got them there and that there wont be many surprises. I'd love to see Oxlaide go, he is a quality young player who can actually make things happen and gives them another attacking option they dont have.

cgpg5 wrote: »
    No he didn't. Why can't people understand this. Richards got injured Zabaleta came in did a super job, Richards came back with 3 games to go and Mancini couldn't just drop Zabaleta cos he did such a good job.

Well I wouldn't say Richards was first choice throughout the season, Zabaleta started a lot of games as well. A lot of important ones too. Even if Richards had never got injured he may still not have played in the run in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Getting injured and then not getting back into the team is losing your place. I have never once stated that he wasn't injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Leaving Richards out is bizarre he is their best rb. Who is going to start rb Jones. I am a United fan but i cringe when i see Jones at rb. Look like Carrol is going not a bad option off the bench. Really think Gerrard playing off Wellbeck would work well. As a United fan i hope Scholes doesnt go but he would be a great addition.

Hart

Jones Lescott/Jagielka Terry Cole

Lampard Carrick

Gerrard

Walcott/Lennon Young

Wellbeck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Leaving Richards out is bizarre he is their best rb. Who is going to start rb Jones. I am a United fan but i cringe when i see Jones at rb. Look like Carrol is going not a bad option off the bench. Really think Gerrard playing off Wellbeck would work well. As a United fan i hope Scholes doesnt go but he would be a great addition.

Hart

Jones Lescott/Jagielka Terry Cole

Lampard Carrick

Gerrard

Walcott/Lennon Young

Wellbeck

No, Jones will not start at RB. Who will start at RB is now really, really obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Come on England ( well after Ireland go out the first round)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

ricero wrote: »
    Come on England ( well after Ireland go out the first round)

I think it's a dubious honour we might be sharing with England.

• Advertisement

kitakyushu wrote: »
    I think it's a dubious honour we might be sharing with England.

England will surely qualify though, I mean bar France they should win the other two games no bother

Phil Jones is there as a utility player.

in a tournament like this, the likes of he and Milner are God-sends, especially when injuries and/or tiredness happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

England will surely qualify though, I mean bar France they should win the other two games no bother

You would have thought that in the last world cup too against weaker opposition and they struggled

I reckon they'll scrape into the next round though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Not a certainty whatsoever. Considering the mess up in South Africa. And playing Ukraine on their home turf will not be an easy task at all. Can see England not making it pass the group stage.

in a tournament like this, the likes of he and Milner are God-sends, especially when injuries and/or tiredness happens.

Agree over Jones but I'd actually start Milner.

Capello was starting him at right back at one stage, and it really wouldn't surprise me if Hodgson did as well. I think it should be Johnson though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

England's group is a toss-up between all four sides. France are ahead of England technically but aren't the side of old and they made England's World Cup in South Africa look like a resounding success, Ukraine are obviously hosts which has to give them an advantage and whilst Sweden are on paper the weakest side in the draw they notoriously have a fantastic record against the English.

You could make a case for any two of the four to go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Renn wrote: »
    Not a certainty whatsoever. Considering the mess up in South Africa. And playing Ukraine on their home turf will not be an easy task at all. Can see England not making it pass the group stage.

If they perform like they did in the World Cup they will not qualify from the group.

I'd certainly have them at the top of the list of potential favourites to fall at the first hurdle.

I think it could massively depend on how the likes of Welbeck or Carroll or whoever they decide to play instead of Rooney perform on the big stage.

No much room for a slow start in a tournament with such condensed quality as he European Cup. There are no easy games, and that goes for all 16 teams in the competition.

Sweden will be a test of England's organisation.

Between Rosenberg, Toivonen, Elmander, Zlatan, Kallstrom, Larsson and Martin Olsson they have a number of strong players who offer different threats.

That said I'm not a fan of the Olsson-Olsson-Granqvist-Mellberg back 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

here goes:

Hart, Green, Carson

Johnson, Jones, Cole, Baines, Terry, Cahill, Lescott, Jagielka

Gerrard, Lampard, Parker, Barry, Young, Milner, Walcott, Downing

Rooney, Carroll, Defoe, Sturridge

• Advertisement
Advertisement