Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eng-er-land Euro2012 squad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

G.K. wrote: »
    He says AOC impressed him playing in the 3-0 against Pirlo/Ambrosini

Ambrosisniwasn't picked and Pirlo is a Juventus player...

He was clearly talking about his Football Manager 2012 game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

SlickRic wrote: »
    Parker is not of Carrick's ilk at all.

Carrick and Barry, yes.

but if Barry has a shít bit of form, or gets injured, there is now literally nobody there who has the ability to dictate the pace of a game from the middle of the park

Carrick's not the best in the world at it, but he, along with Barry, are the best England have besides the injured Wilshere.

Parker couldn't dictate the pace he walks his dog at.

so which cm do leave out of the squad for him?

btw i dont see both barry and parker starting together i wreckon only one of them will play.

I agree with GK's reasons of why Carrick isnt good enough, once put under pressure on the ball he is useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Just went through the stats there and came across an interesting fact. The players chosen for the England Euro 2012 squad collectively have scored the same amount of international goals as the players chosen for the Ireland Euro 2012 squad. 106. Although Robbie Keane represents exactly 50% of Ireland's total (53)

Not sure it's relative to the thread but it's interesting nonetheless, considering the uber predictability of Trap's selection for the past three years, McClean notwithstanding.

Probably more telling is that we took collectivly 840 caps to get those 106, England took 711.

That said England are hardly prolific either. Copare it to Germany for example. Their provisional squad has 190 goals in 773 caps.

Spain are surprisingly light this time around (mainly down to no Villa I'd imagine). 46 goals in 522 caps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Just went through the stats there and came across an interesting fact. The players chosen for the England Euro 2012 squad collectively have scored the same amount of international goals as the players chosen for the Ireland Euro 2012 squad. 106. Although Robbie Keane represents exactly 50% of Ireland's total (53)

Not sure it's relative to the thread but it's interesting nonetheless, considering the uber predictability of Trap's selection for the past three years, McClean notwithstanding.

Yeah but work in the caps and its less impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Yeah maybe but without wanting to offend you, he's well below the radar in Scotland. He and Hooper may well deserve to be picked but they're not going to prove it playing against Scott Vernon and Paul Heffernan.

He's played against alot better players than them two this season but dont let that get in the way of your rant

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

No Richards is mad.

Pretty weak squad overall. Hart, Cole and Rooney are really the only world class players imo and Rooney is out the first two games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Couldn't care less what they think. I can't stand them, their manager or their circus.

Why comment so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Why comment so?

I was under the impression this was a forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Have to say, quite enjoying the shock at squad selection from people who argued long and hard with Liverpool fans that Hodgson was a good manager, was hounded out, etc. :)

• Advertisement

Yeah but their is no point in going into every thread and saying

"I have no opinion on this matter"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

redzerdrog wrote: »
    so which cm do leave out of the squad for him?

btw i dont see both barry and parker starting together i wreckon only one of them will play.

I agree with GK's reasons of why Carrick isnt good enough, once put under pressure on the ball he is useless.

Put Barry under pressure and it's the same story, his first touch is just as bad as Carrick's.

There isn't much between Carrick and Barry but Carrick has way, way more big game experience than Barry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,370 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

neither is Parker.

he just runs around and is better at getting it back.

i suppose you have Lampard who can do what Barry does, but Carrick can feel hard done by. it's not like Lampard is undroppable or has ever really lit it up for England.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Considering Rooney is out for 2 games, I'd rather have the Irish forward line than Englands... Thats saying something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Dempsey wrote: »
    He's played against alot better players than them two this season but dont let that get in the way of your rant

Rant? ahahaha that was the most polite rant imaginable. It was the opposite of a rant - it was me going out of my way to put the point as tactfully as possible.

Forster won't play for England whilst he is in Scotland because the standard isn't high enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

He has a gay name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Carrick doesn't have those attributes but many of the CM don't. If you consider the players' other attributes, carrick can feel hard done by, and I was one arguing for his non-inclusion.

neither is Parker.

he just runs around and is better at getting it back.

i suppose you have Lampard who can do what Barry does, but Carrick can feel hard done by. it's not like Lampard is undroppable or has ever really lit it up for England.

dont get me wrong I think parker is the most overrated player in the squad but he is one of the media darlings and was always going so dont see how there would ever be room for carrick no matter who was manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Never mind Barry, there is not one CM player in that team who can pick up the ball and move it through the team with any intelligence the way toure does for city, the way a cast of thousands do for barcelona and the way nobody does for liverpool. Wilshere is a big miss in that respect. Gerrard and Lampard are attacking midfielders and Barry is not up to the job. He is passing is not quick and incisive, he is sturdy and steady but wouldn't be the national team for France, Spain, Italy, Netherlands or Germany imho. Seriously over rated player.

Whatever your opinion about Carrick, theres no way Henderson should be ahead of him on the Standby list, thats just plain wrong. Should have had Danny Murphy or Leon Britton even. Even Hargreaves............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

bullvine wrote: »
    Considering Rooney is out for 2 games, I'd rather have the Irish forward line than Englands... Thats saying something!

It's saying something daft.

• Advertisement

theteal wrote: »
    they've not printed any of mine :(

I won :P
    Who cares about young kids? Besides Ashley Cole, John Terry is the best defender England can pick.

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Yeah but their is no point in going into every thread and saying

"I have no opinion on this matter"

Point me in the direction of that post. I was making a point about the knobheads who felt the need to fiercely defend Roy and equally criticise Liverpool when we got rid. The same people who are now baffled by his team selection and have even got #HodgsonOut or whatever trending on twitter before a ball has been kicked.

And the fact that it would be quite enjoyable from an Irish point of view to watch them crash and burn in their own self inflicted wounds once more, that was until the moralists in the thread jumped all over me. Like they wouldn't enjoy seeing Ireland get further than that circus :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

According to Hodgson, he saw Chamberlain play well against Pirlo and Ambrosini. Ambrosini didn't play, Pirlo isn't even a Milan player.

That_Guy wrote: »
    According to Hodgson, he saw Chamberlain play well against Pirlo and Ambrosini. Ambrosini didn't play, Pirlo isn't even a Milan player.

you're all now seeing and hearing what us Liverpool fans saw and heard, en masse, week after week, for months.

enjoy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,559 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

but if Barry has a shít bit of form, or gets injured, there is now literally nobody there who has the ability to dictate the pace of a game from the middle of the park

Barry would struggle to dictate a paragragh to a journalist .
    He is a defensive midfielder and a very limited one at that.

England have no quality in the centre of midfield and their attacking options are very limited,they will struggle to score goals with that squad.

Henderon is on the standby list for one reason and that's his versatility. Looking at the squad, versatility seems to have been one of the highest criteria.

Jones, G. Johnson, Downing, Oxlade-Chamberlain have all been picked over arguably better players, but their versatility has got them on the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Why did they drop Rio for that racist scum Terry?

I am pie wrote: »
    It's saying something daft.

Defoe? Keanes better than him!
    Carroll? I'd rather have Walters!
    Welbeck? As raw as a onion

Easy glen johnson is a better player and englands 1st choice rb and jones provides better cover for cb.

simples

Saying that I would have brought him instead on jones but can see why he wasnt picked

you're all now seeing and hearing what us Liverpool fans saw and heard, en masse, week after week, for months.

enjoy :)

It was baffling. I'm still laughing from it.
    Why did they drop Rio for that racist scum Terry?

Because Terry is England's lion heart. Top professional and all round good guy.

Don't know where you're getting this "racist scum" stuff from.

Deluded.

• Advertisement

Good Lord, I hope that quote isn't real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

England might surprise us all lads...
    (giggles)
    :pac:

It is yes .

You're just like these lads support Liverpool all through the season then when it's Euros or World Cup time "I hate everything English"

protest%5B3%5D.jpg

protests-against-the-stat-005.jpg

man+u+jersey.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Because Terry is England's lion heart. Top professional and all round good guy.

Don't know where you're getting this "racist scum" stuff from.

Deluded.

haha love your sarcastic post. Terry nice guy? that gave it away lol

Blatter wrote: »
    Henderon is on the standby list for one reason and that's his versatility. Looking at the squad, versatility seems to have been one of the highest criteria.

Jones, G. Johnson, Downing, Oxlade-Chamberlain have all been picked over arguably better players, but their versatility has got them on the plane.

how has glen johnsons versatility got him selected?

he will not play anywhere else but rb:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I woud have had Adam Johnson over downing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

He has played LB for Liverpool numerous times.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

It is yes .

You're just like these lads support Liverpool all through the season then when it's Euros or World Cup time "I hate everything English"

man+u+jersey.jpg

WTF is your man doing with a packet of Denny ham in that crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

It should be interesting viewing anyway. A bunch of overrated players who are picked mainly based on their club reputation rather than how they work as a team and who haven't even had a real chance to prepare properly are going into a tournament against some seriously good opposition. Add to this their star player missing for two games and you probably couldn't have made it much worse for them.

England do surprise sometimes in the worst of circumstances (eg Mexico 86) but I reckon this is going to be akin to a massacre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

man+u+jersey.jpg

Denny ham?

nuxxx wrote: »
    I woud have had andy Johnson over downing

Adam Johnson surely ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I am pie wrote: »
    Never mind Barry, there is not one CM player in that team who can pick up the ball and move it through the team with any intelligence the way toure does for city, the way a cast of thousands do for barcelona and the way nobody does for liverpool. Wilshere is a big miss in that respect. Gerrard and Lampard are attacking midfielders and Barry is not up to the job. He is passing is not quick and incisive, he is sturdy and steady but wouldn't be the national team for France, Spain, Italy, Netherlands or Germany imho. Seriously over rated player.

Lampard can play a CM role, he proved that against Barca. England have Howson and Britton who can do that but never stood a chance as they weren't big club men.

He can play left back and right midfield? But yeah, you're right he won't be needed there. The versatility of the others I mentioned probably got them picked though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

HazDanz wrote: »
    WTF is your man doing with a packet of Denny ham in that crowd.

Using it as ''bacon'' to taunt the Gardai with?

Richards more vesatile than Johnson I would think, not sure about Downing either, Rooney, Welbeck, Walcott, Young, Sturridge have all played numerous positions for their clubs, even Carrick played Center half a few times for United!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Adam Johnson surely ?

Yeah sorry, hungover :o

did he actually say it though?

i kind of want to believe so.

It is yes .

protest%5B3%5D.jpg

Because I don't like the English FA national circus? Neither do a lot of people, which also includes many English people, so that means we all hate everything English doesn't it? :rolleyes:

Did you even read my posts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Gerrard will play CM. There is no doubt in my mind.

Denny ham?

That's the first thing I noticed.

A crappy metaphor for "pigs" i.e police?

• Advertisement
Advertisement