Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eng-er-land Euro2012 squad

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

bullvine wrote: »
    Defoe? Keanes better than him!
    Carroll? I'd rather have Walters!
    Welbeck? As raw as a onion

> Keane is about as sharp as a butter knife after a season in the MLS.

> Walters v Carroll - both pretty limited, much of a muchness as far as i am concerned.

Defoe and Welbeck would walk into Ireland's team based on talent/pace. Look at the level these guys are playing at. Utd / Spurs are operating on a different planet to the likes of Stoke and Disney Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

SlickRic wrote: »
    did he actually say it though?

i kind of want to believe so.

Aye he did. If I can find a clip of it I'll post it. Was listening on BBC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

did he actually say it though?

i kind of want to believe so.

http://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/sport/football/roy_hodgson_talks_up_oxlade_chamberlain_names_gerrard_as_captain_1_1379371
    “He is a very exciting player who has made an impression on me, not least in his performance against AC Milan at the Emirates,” Hodgson said.

“I was there live and saw how well he dealt with Pirlo and Ambrosini. He can play wide or central and for future and can continue as he started.”

Not sold on that source, but Christ....:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Turtyturd wrote: »
    He has played LB for Liverpool numerous times.:confused:

england have 2 excellent LB's already:confused:

Garth Crooks: It's so refreshing to hear a manager that speaks English as his first language.

Classy man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I am pie wrote: »
    > Keane is about as sharp as a butter knife after a season in the MLS.

> Walters v Carroll - both pretty limited, much of a muchness as far as i am concerned.

Defoe and Welbeck would walk into Ireland's team based on talent/pace. Look at the level these guys are playing at. Utd / Spurs are operating on a different planet to the likes of Stoke and Disney Utd.

Defoe has barely played for Spurs, Keane was very good for Villa during his loan spell.

Welbeck has been very poor for United since January, he has a long way to go yet before hes a top forward!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

That_Guy wrote: »
    That's the first thing I noticed.

A crappy metaphor for "pigs" i.e police?

There is a red sticker on it so there might be 50% extra free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Garth Crooks: It's so refreshing to hear a manager that speaks English as his first language.

Classy man.

pity hodgson talks a lot of crap though....as well as garth crooks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

G.K. wrote: »
    Lampard can play a CM role, he proved that against Barca. England have Howson and Britton who can do that but never stood a chance as they weren't big club men.

No he didn't prove that against Barcelona ! Surely he played in a team which hardly touched the ball ? Jeez. I;d be delighted if I was Swedish and I saw Lamps rolling out in CM. I'd be fairly certain i'd have as much time as i wanted.

Howson / Britton - you can't pick guys who aren't proven at the highest level. All these guys have is potential to operate at that level consistently. For me, champs league experience is a must?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Defoe has barely played for Spurs, Keane was very good for Villa during his loan spell.

Welbeck has been very poor for United since January, he has a long way to go yet before hes a top forward!

If Welbeck has been very poor then why has he been playing ahead of Hernandez or Berbatov? Seems a bit weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

redzerdrog wrote: »
    england have 2 excellent LB's already:confused:

Misread your post....thought you meant he would refuse to play anywhere else other than he won't be played anywhere else.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Aye he did. If I can find a clip of it I'll post it. Was listening on BBC.

excellent.

so i re-iterate what i said before...i hope everyone enjoys the gaffes we Liverpool fans had to put up with for months.

i didn't think it'd start happening this early...so fair play Roy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

SSN have Scholes as a notable omission. I would imagine so as he hasn't kicked a ball for England in about 7 years, nor does he ever intend to.

:rolleyes:

Beefy78 wrote: »
    If Welbeck has been very poor then why has he been playing ahead of Hernandez or Berbatov? Seems a bit weird.

Berbatov been pushed out by Ferguson, Hernandez has had a lot of injuries this year.

SSN have Scholes as a notable omission

:rolleyes:

Isn't he retired? :pac:

Isn't he retired? :pac:
    He is. I really do wonder about the people at SSN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I am pie wrote: »
    No he didn't prove that against Barcelona ! Surely he played in a team which hardly touched the ball ? Jeez. I;d be delighted if I was Swedish and I saw Lamps rolling out in CM. I'd be fairly certain i'd have as much time as i wanted.

Howson / Britton - you can't pick guys who aren't proven at the highest level. All these guys have is potential to operate at that level consistently. For me, champs league experience is a must?

I see no reason why - England won't be facing AC Milan or Barcelona in the tournament.

Britton is the best DM in posession England have. Howson has lots of potential and has regularly shone against top clubs this season. Lampard and Gerrard aren't going to be around for much longer, and England won't win this tournament no matter who they pick. It should, as far as I'm concerned, be about giving the future big tournament experience. There is no chance like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

excellent.

so i re-iterate what i said before...i hope everyone enjoys the gaffes we Liverpool fans had to put up with for months.

i didn't think it'd start happening this early...so fair play Roy!

Wait until he starts "I hope we dont lose 6-0" spiel...that'l go down well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Welbeck should be starting for England even when Rooney's back. His talent and general play are undoubted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I see no reason why - England won't be facing AC Milan or Barcelona in the tournament.

Britton is the best DM in posession England have. Howson has lots of potential and has regularly shone against top clubs this season. Lampard and Gerrard aren't going to be around for much longer, and England won't win this tournament no matter who they pick. It should, as far as I'm concerned, be about giving the future big tournament experience. There is no chance like it.

leon britton is 30 this year he is hardly someone for a future big tournament

Welbeck should be starting for England even when Rooney's back. His talent and general play are undoubted.

His link up play with Rooney has been great at times this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Worrying sign for England fans is that both Chelsea, who finished 6th, and Liverpool, who finished 8th, have four players each in the squad.

My opinion of Welbeck is based purely on the extreme anger he caused me when I watched him play for United in the last 3 months, most United fans on here seem to love him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Wow, Carroll in instead of Crouch?
    Chamberlain in?
    No Micah Richards?
    Downing in?

They're all massive mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It is yes .

You're just like these lads support Liverpool all through the season then when it's Euros or World Cup time "I hate everything English"

YEAH BUDDAY

It's just Irish based Liverpool fans who do that.

• Advertisement

Good that Gerrard named Captain, he deserves it!

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    YEAH BUDDAY

Wasting your time mate, he didn't even take the time to read what I said before he posted that drivel at me.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Goalscoring isn't amazing though and is something I can see England struggling with without Rooney.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Good that Gerrard named Captain, he deserves it!
    While im glad for him that he's got it, I know as a Liverpool fan that he, as captain will be equally blamed for their shortcomings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Downing ahead of Lennon is ludicrous. Downing ahead of anyone for that matter.

I would have considered Crouch for his experience and Richards can feel hard done by.

I'm not anti Liverpool or anything, but I would question the inclusion of Johnson, Carroll and Downing. Even Henderson on the standy list is a bit of a joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Worrying sign for England fans is that both Chelsea, who finished 6th, and Liverpool, who finished 8th, have four players each in the squad.

It was always going to be the same 6 teams getting almost every place in the squad. Baines is the only outfield player who doesn't play for one of them.

who were england captains for the last few tournos?

Samich wrote: »
    Chamberlain in?
    No Micah Richards?
    Downing in?

Richards aside, these are players who will be on the fringes of the squad at best. And they're in ahead of other players who would have been on the fringes at best. The core of the squad is as expected.

I'd prefer Lambert to either Carroll or Crouch but whoever it was going to be is just a lump to throw on with five minutes left.

who were england captains for the last few tournos?

Gerrard in 2010 after Ferdinand got injured.

Beckham prior to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Oliver Kay ‏ @OliverKayTimes
    Can't take seriously Hodgson's "1 game in last yr" explanation for Ferdinand omission. The new captain has played 33 mins for Eng in 19 mths

Good point, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Samich wrote: »
    Chamberlain in?
    No Micah Richards?
    Downing in?

Massive? Hardly. Out of the four players you mention I'd only have strong feelings about Downing making the squad.

Jones V Richards is much of a muchness. Carroll V Crouch is also tough to call. Personally I'd have gone for Crouchie but Carroll will offer pretty much the same and you've got the bonus of a player who is high on confidence having finished the season well.

I think Chamberlain could be a fantastic option from the bench and if I were an England fan I'd be happy to see him in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

My opinion of Welbeck is based purely on the extreme anger he caused me when I watched him play for United in the last 3 months, most United fans on here seem to love him!

He puts in a hard shift but is a very poor finisher .
    A grafter ,the new Heskey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    YEAH BUDDAY

The guy I replied to is a Liverpool supporter no ? I showed examples of Celtic and Man Utd fans being idiots how did you assume I meant only Liverpool fans did this ?

J. Marston wrote: »
    Good point, I think.

Fair point indeed, two gaffes he's made in that one interview as far as im concerned. They hounded out a genuine world class manager for him.

The guy I replied to is a Liverpool supporter no ? I showed examples of Celtic and Man Utd fans being idiots how did you assume I meant only Liverpool fans did this ?

You said I was anti-English without explaining how/why? Well you posted a couple of images but bar that, nothing else.

• Advertisement

Hodgson looks out of his depth already.

Harry to be in charge by summer 2013, watch.

I'm not anti Liverpool or anything, but I would question the inclusion of Johnson, Carroll and Downing. Even Henderson on the standy list is a bit of a joke

Whatever about the rest how can you question Johnsons inclusion, he is the best player for that position to chose from and is a guaranteed starter.

Carroll deserves his place too especially with rooney out for the first two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Holt should have gone ahead of either Carroll / Crouch imo.

Downing ahead of Lennon is ludicrous. Downing ahead of anyone for that matter.

I would have considered Crouch for his experience and Richards can feel hard done by.

Hey, check out who the manager is.

The man's a shambles. But hey, he's better than Capello and more importantly he's English :o

Whatever about the rest how can you question Johnsons inclusion, he is the best player for that position to chose from and is a guaranteed starter.

Carroll deserves his place too especially with rooney out for the first two games.

Why are you so sure he 'deserves' it? Crouch, Sturridge, Holt and Graham have all scored more than him this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Or positive that both sets of players did well in cup football this season ;)

Personally I feel Richards is better defensively than Johnson and would have selected Crouch ahead of Carroll primarily in that he has experience in big tournaments and could do a job until rooney returns for the final group game.

I'll never get all the anti-roy stuff. Overall, i think he is a great choice for england and people should at least give him a CHANCE, a concept a lot of fans can't grasp.

how will england do? I fancy england to upset predictions and make it out of the group behind france

Or positive that both sets of players did well in cup football this season ;)

With big help from Drogba, Ramires, Reina, Kuyt, Suarez, Mata, etc. If you look at the squads of most other nations, it is dominated by players in the top 3 or 4 clubs of European leagues.

Liverpool and non-Liverpool fans are at last united in agreement, that no LFC players should have taken to the Euro's !

Momentous day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Making Gerrard means he is pretty much undroppable, and is going to play as a CM, if not from the start, then definitely when Rooney gets back.

If they win thier first two games with no Rooney and Gerrard "in the hole", and then Rooney comes back, forcing Gerrard back, they'll lose thier 3rd group game, qualify for the quarter finals and go out.

Gerrard + Any of the other CMs named just won't work.

Also, it means we could potentially see Lampard making way for Gerrard for the 3rd group game, or if not, a CM pairing of Lampard and Gerrard.

All of the above are nightmare scenarios.

Making Gerrard the captain was a silly thing to do, for those reasons.

Advertisement