Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snake Mites

Options
  • 07-05-2012 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

HI all,

This has probably been discussed before but im having terrible trouble with snake mites. any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have a three year old python never really had any problems before

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

I've had good results using vegetable oil on the snake. Clean the viv with a 90% water, 10% bleach. let it air out fully over night. I'd repeat it every five days for a few weeks. Leave the viv with just newspaper, water dish and hide.

Otherwise hypoaspis miles introduced to the viv will prey on the snake mites and starve once they are dead. You need to leave all the bedding in for these to work. They can be brought from http://www.defenders.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 14 liza22

We get Provent a Mite from the states to treat the enclosure and any eggs that may be hiding around the enclosure. I think you may be able to get it from Emerald Isle Reptiles now.

We wipe the snakes down with Frontline spray - spray it on kitchen paper and rub snake down with it - make sure to take out water dishes for 24 hrs afterwards. I also wouldn't use it on anything smaller than an adult corn snake.

Callingtons mite spray is good also and can be used safely on the snake and in the enclosure. Best of luck with getting rid of the little buggers! You shouldn't have too much trouble with one snake. We have two reptile rooms at the moment, and got a good dose of mites in one room last year - it was pretty testing but we got there! The callingtons was probably the most effective method for us, but it's ultra expensive when you need bottle loads to get through loads of vivs and racking! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

liza22 wrote: »
    We get Provent a Mite from the states to treat the enclosure and any eggs that may be hiding around the enclosure. I think you may be able to get it from Emerald Isle Reptiles now.
    i second the PAM. and yes, you can get it from emerald isle;)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dar926

ill try it out.. thanks for the comments I have been trying to rid the tank for some time now so I appreciate the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Dutchology

If you haven't cleared the mites yet or haven't gotten your hands on PAM, you can always use what we use - Frontline.

Small bottle of Frontline flea spray. Spray onto some kitchen roll and wipe the snake down thoroughly avoiding the eyes, nose, heat pits and vent. Be sure to get into that groove under the chin.

Works a treat first time (almost) every time. It's rare that we've needed a second application and we've never had a problem.

It's not something we use on any animal that's smaller than an adult corn, in that case it's regular bathing and cage cleaning along with a little olive oil on the skin after the bath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dar926

thanks for the advice.. I managed to clear the mites in the end, I had planned on moving my snakes from Vivs into a rack so I brought this forward, I used
    Olive oil and soapy water afterwards and got rid of everything out of the old vivs... I then put him into the new tub and I haven't seen a mite since. ill bath him once a week for a few weeks more in-case there's any eggs hanging around :)

Advertisement