Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone have a reef tank without a sump

Options
  • 07-05-2012 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

has anyone set up a marine reef tank without using a sump

also will I need a protein skimmer if I use a Fluval Fx5 external filter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i've a small 55L marine tank with no sump, although i haven't got any corals in it yet and it's been running fine for almost 6 months now with 2 clowns, 2 shrimp and a starfish (now with 2 babies), plus various small inverts (snails etc.) that i think hitched a ride in my live coral sand and rock.

you don't necessarily *need* a sump or a skimmer if you're happy doing lots of regular water changes, but they will help in the long term to keep everything clean.

I've got a big external filter and i recently added a cheap micro skimmer i got off ebay, although it's quite noisy and i'm really not sure how much good it's actually doing other than cluttering up the tank.

i originally went into seahorse to ask about it and keelan showed me some of their sumpless marine tanks that have been going for years, so i decided to go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Thats very interesting. I am soon upgrading to a larger tank from my present 60L one. Want to go for around 200L if I get the go ahead (from herself :o) . Had envisoned just leaving the 60L aside for emergencies but if I could get a simple marine one going out of it, I'd love to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Or you could use the 60l as a sump for the new 200l tank ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Sleepy wrote: »
    Or you could use the 60l as a sump for the new 200l tank ;)
    i think that's what happened to Paddy147 with his custom built marine tank! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Ah jaysus lads, steady on awhile. :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement