Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Injecting sheep.

• 07-05-2012 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

I have sheep with bad itch and scab.I was advised to inject them with ivomec super.I am just wonndering has anyone used ivomec super with sheep and if so how did it work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

karolmc100 wrote: »
    I have sheep with bad itch and scab.I was advised to inject them with ivomec super.I am just wonndering has anyone used ivomec super with sheep and if so how did it work.

Why would you use ivormec super not ordinary ivermectin. Super kills fluke as well so you shoukld not need to use unless you have a fluke issue

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭karolmc100

No Fluke isn't a problem.Will an ivermectin based injection kill scab.Or what would you recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

No Fluke isn't a problem.Will an ivermectin based injection kill scab.Or what would you recommend.

My sheep got scab from bought in sheep about ten years ago, I used ivomec twice, a month apart and it failed to cure it, I also hired a guy with a sheep shower and it also didn't work, It was only when I put down my own dipping bath and dipped them twice that Ifinally cured it, thats my experience, is there anyone near you with a dipping bath

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Fat Cant

I got itch on my sheep a few years ago and I power washed them it worked good, been doing it ever year since just to keep them clean. I fill a wheelie bin up with water and add the dip , make it good and strong and do them again in 2 weeks after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Highland

Sheep that are itching can do so for lots of reasons. Scab is only one of them. Ivomec or any generic invermectin, doramectin or moxydection will kill scab, mange and sucking lice. These products will however not kill biting lice as these live off the skin and not the blood so do not come in contact with the active ingredient. To eliminate biting lice you would need to use a pour on such as butox, spot on or vector. Depending on bad the infestation is you may need to treat a second time to eliminate freshly hatched parasites. Proper dipping is however probably still the most effective option (sheep showers are not 100% effective) and it will kill all external parasites including ticks etc but is more labour intensive and you need a dipping tub.

It is essentail to that all sheep are treated on the same day and post treatment they must be moved to a pasture that has been free from sheep for 17 days so that they dont becoem reinfected (from fences, posts etc).

• Advertisement

I have a dipping tank,but I would not be intending to dip until end of june or so,have to shear first and then wait for a few week after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭joe17

you could try ivomec or Cydectin

will ivormec do anything for scab a lot say it wont

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭joe17

we have cydectin and it is for sheep scab and for treatment and control of roundworms.you will inject the affected twice 10 days apart. we have this at home and we find it very good at getting rid of sheep scab and if what to try ivomec plus it some times work but i would go with cydectin first .let me know how you get on with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

I have a dipping tank,but I would not be intending to dip until end of june or so,have to shear first and then wait for a few week after that.

Good article on the journal this week about dipping, it seems I'm not the only person who imagines that there is a health boost from dipping every year,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Chiliroses

rancher wrote: »
    My sheep got scab from bought in sheep about ten years ago, I used ivomec twice, a month apart and it failed to cure it, I also hired a guy with a sheep shower and it also didn't work, It was only when I put down my own dipping bath and dipped them twice that Ifinally cured it, thats my experience, is there anyone near you with a dipping bath

Yeah, you cant beat dip, its the best of the lot and it cleans the fleece as well. :)

Advertisement