Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kensington Lodge, Rochestown Avenue, Dun Laoghaire

Options
  • 07-05-2012 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Does anybody know about that place? We are looking for the apartment to buy and found it on daft.
    How about building quality? Is area safe and quiet?
    You know, all things we should know but estate agent does not tell us.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I don't know about the building itself but Rochestown Avenue is in a very settled, quiet residential area. It's close to Johnstown primary school, the Killiney Shopping Centre, the Tesco Ballybrack, lots of parks and green spaces. There's also a pool and gym in the Rochestown Lodge Hotel. It is lacking a bar since the Graduate burnt down (has it re-opened?) but apart from that it's a pretty good area.

I'm not too sure on public transport, I think that might be quite poor, maybe someone who lives on the road can advise.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Graduate has re-opened.
    OP if you're going to town you're a couple of mins away from the 46A stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I don't know about the building itself but Rochestown Avenue is in a very settled, quiet residential area. It's close to Johnstown primary school, the Killiney Shopping Centre, the Tesco Ballybrack, lots of parks and green spaces. There's also a pool and gym in the Rochestown Lodge Hotel. It is lacking a bar since the Graduate burnt down (has it re-opened?) but apart from that it's a pretty good area.

I'm not too sure on public transport, I think that might be quite poor, maybe someone who lives on the road can advise.

Kensington is closer to the Kill of the Grange end of Rochestown avenue. You are about a 5 minute walk from 46A and Bradys pub at Bakers Corner. Another 5 minutes takes you to Deansgrange with its Super Valu/post office/pub/chipper/chinese ect..you could walk to dun laoghaire in about 25 minutes..
    The apartments look nice from the outside but i am not sure what the build quality is like. They dont all seem to be occupied at the moment..

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

I know the place well. Seems well built and well finished with good facilities underground car park etc. Main points to add is that it seems like a very empty development which you can see as a good or bad thing? They used to show regularly and dont seem to as much any more? It also backs onto a house which they have been trying to see for quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Graduate has re-opened.
    It was surprisingly quick to reopen. Theres a chinese restaurant beside it too.

Cabinteely village is close enough too, with pubs & restaurants. And the noggin inn pub & off licence and several takeaways around.

No idea about the building, but lived around the area most of my life and like it very much. Several people I know grew up there and bought houses in the surrounding area.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

rubadub wrote: »
    It was surprisingly quick to reopen. Theres a chinese restaurant beside it too.

Cabinteely village is close enough too, with pubs & restaurants. And the noggin inn pub & off licence and several takeaways around.

No idea about the building, but lived around the area most of my life and like it very much. Several people I know grew up there and bought houses in the surrounding area.

It's pretty popular, Bakers would be my local but I do wander to the Grad now and then, however I do feel it has lost some of its charm since it became "new"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

I do wander to the Grad now and then, however I do feel it has lost some of its charm since it became "new"!

+1

I grew up around there it's a good area OP, no real problems

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭IsThisOneFree

Hi All

Sorry to dredge up an old thread - just wondering OP if you bought in this development in the end ? If so, how are you finding it ? Or if you didn't, was there any particular reason why not ? According to daft, there's only a few 2 & 1 beds left, I'm considering a 2 bed. also wondering about public transport - I need to get the dart to work and it seems like I might be a bit far, even with getting the bus ??

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the 46a is a 5 minute walk away, and runs every 8-10 minutes (possibly even more frequent during peak times), terminating at Dun Laoghaire train station, so if you get a monthly bus & Dart ticket you're sorted.
    do you mind me asking where you'd be getting the Dart to? there might be a way of combining buses rather than using the Dart at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Hi All

Sorry to dredge up an old thread - just wondering OP if you bought in this development in the end ? If so, how are you finding it ? Or if you didn't, was there any particular reason why not ? According to daft, there's only a few 2 & 1 beds left, I'm considering a 2 bed. also wondering about public transport - I need to get the dart to work and it seems like I might be a bit far, even with getting the bus ??

Thanks in advance

You might be better off looking at Honey Park on the old Dún Laoghaire golf course, the 46a bus stop is literally at your doorstep and leaves you at Dún Laoghaire Dart station

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

there might be a way of combining buses rather than using the Dart at all.
    Yeah, probably cheaper too, I use those "travel 90" bus tickets. If commuting there might be a better option.
    10 Journey Travel 90 Adult €21.50

Valid for 10 journeys of 90 minutes unlimited travel
    Valid on Dublin Bus scheduled services including Xpresso (excluding Airlink, Nitelink, Tours, Special Events and Private Contract services)
    Tickets are for individual use only and may not be used by a group
    No CIE photo ID required

I would cycle to the dart myself, probably quicker than the bus. There is the 111 feeder, but very few of them, haven't been on one in years but you used to get on and just pay the dart fare on the bus, and the bus was in effect free.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Artur.PL

Finally, we did not get the chance to buy an apartment there.
    Price was 175k, we offered 160k, we were told that developer has to agree on this price. That was the last call we got from the estate agent (Hora agency). A lot of emails were sent , call were done, there was no answer.

Advertisement