Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

commercial insurance v agri insurance

Options
  • 07-05-2012 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

hey guys, was wondering which would be cheaper.

17 year old provisional license

option 1. thinking of going for something like this on commercial insurance http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3309496

options 2. not sure if its called agri insurance but i was told if your auld lad is with FBD they will insure a jeep on the cheap for the farm and other uses is it true if so what jeep would be best i was thinking 1.6 litre is smallest litre ill find

basically which would be best is option 2 true? thanks in advance lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

If you tax it as a commercial cant use it as private vehicle. This loophole was sorted a year or two back. If you use it as private vehicle you will get stopped, guards are clamping down on this. You would need to proof its for commercial use. Its a law that was always there but never enforced.

I would imagine similar is the case for the agri/farm insurance but you can check that out yourself. If you will just be using it as a private vehicle you can bet your farm the insurance company will try get out of any claim you make.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭DaNiEl1994

what would be regarded as proof would you know, i know a man who is just a normal guy no tradesman has commercial insurance on his van and he just throws a few cheap power tools and spanners in the back, surely they're smarter than that now so?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

DaNiEl1994 wrote: »
    what would be regarded as proof would you know, i know a man who is just a normal guy no tradesman has commercial insurance on his van and he just throws a few cheap power tools and spanners in the back, surely they're smarter than that now so?

Its changed though. When your man taxed it the requirement was not there to provide a revenue identity number when a person it taxing a vehicle as a commercial. Now for new owners there is a requirement for this to be done.

You need to declare it will be used for commercial use only from now on also so if you use it for private use at all its an offence as its not a private vehicle. Also insuring it as a commercial is wrong as if the insurance find out your insurance will be void. Think about if you want this to happen as if you get in a crash and hurt someone it will be you paying all bills out of your pocket.

Buy, tax and insure as a private car as you should be doing. You are just trying to get away on the cheap but not worth it.

Advertisement