Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone ever fit stone cladding? - See plan attached

• 07-05-2012 9:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Myself and my dad are thinking of fitting stone cladding on my house. Has anyone ever fitted it? It seems like an easy task, if we take our time. Most stone cladding suppliers include 'how to' videos on their website so it cant be too difficult.

We are getting qoutes from a few different cladding suppliers, but an example would be Century Stone

My dad is not a builder but is very hands on, he has done countless diy jobs along the lines of tiling and blockwork and believes in taking his time to get the job done right. Any job he has done has worked out well and I have worked with him.

Im going to show him some videos on how to fit it and let him make up his own mind

The only thing concerning me is working around 2 x 45 degree corners. I was told to leave a slight overlap and stagger it to hide the chance of a continuous vertical line forming between the cladding.

Also, I may figure out if I need to start working around the windows as a starting point or start at the 45's first.

The plan is attached below, feel free to have a look. The cladding will be fitted to the walls marked in blue. All advice much appreciated. Im trying to save myself a small fortune on the cost of fitting it!

cladding2.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I'll not comment on the how to...

We wanted a porch covered and got quotes of about four companies... Make sure you go and look at plenty of completed jobs.. We were shocked at some of the jobs, samples looked grand but the actual job is what you will live with..

We went with century stone in the end and they supplied and fitted..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

OP, I'm in South KK and have Century Stone fitted externally on the house (and some internally also.
    My plasterer fitted the cladding as he is quite the handyman.
    Basically its just tiling, so you have to start level and mind you lines.
    There is a bit of work involved in the cutting etc, but it's easy enough apparently.
    You are more than welcome to look at mine if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

gman2k wrote: »
    There is a bit of work involved in the cutting etc

The lad they supplied had a jig and he could cut the corner pieces over our door so they gave the appearance of properly built keystones...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I used the stacked nantucket - came with corner pieces

Advertisement