Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reality check

Options
  • 07-05-2012 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

As a proud father of three great kids, I was taken aback today in the supermarket when, out of the blue, a mature lady told my three year old to shut up!

My daughter had caught her finger on a display unit and was crying. That, coupled with her being tired, meant she was upset and feeling quite sorry for herself.

While I talked to her, as she sat in the trolley, the older woman passed by and said "would you ever shut up mrs!".

Of course I told her that was no way to talk to a child and she just kept going. To say I was annoyed is an understatement.

Now, don't get me wrong. As proud as I am of my kids, I do understand that not everyone likes kids and a screaming kid is quite annoying.

But who the &€@k does she think she is?!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

oh yeah, the supermarket interferers.
    I had a guy tell my 2 how the easter bunny was coming to them and after they said no and told him he did not exist he still persisted. only when the 3 yr old said mommy told her and we just bought the eggs did he shut up

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I am with you on the anti-Supermarket nosiness thing.. but out of interest..

What was her tone when speaking to your child.. was it in a playful sort of way? or was she being stern with her?

If it was the latter then I would be really peeved tbh.. I wouldn't stand for anyone trying to discipline MY child.. that is OUR job, and I think it's pretty unheard of for another adult to try to step on a fellow parents toes when it comes to reprimanding children... so I would be questioning her sanity, as OTT as it may sound.. tbh.

She may just be some un-hinged woman going around looking to rub people up the wrong way.. they DO exist.. trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I work in a supermarket and I usually have to deal with parents complaining about loopy adults interfering with their kids. I have met my fair share of deranged interfering so and sos, I just try to make peace with both sides. For some reason some women of a certain age think they are experts and are giving free help to the other parents!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

xzanti wrote: »
    I am with you on the anti-Supermarket nosiness thing.. but out of interest..

What was her tone when speaking to your child.. was it in a playful sort of way? or was she being stern with her?

If it was the latter then I would be really peeved tbh.. I wouldn't stand for anyone trying to discipline MY child.. that is OUR job, and I think it's pretty unheard of for another adult to try to step on a fellow parents toes when it comes to reprimanding children... so I would be questioning her sanity, as OTT as it may sound.. tbh.

She may just be some un-hinged woman going around looking to rub people up the wrong way.. they DO exist.. trust me.
    She was agitated and came across as being quite stressed herself. It wasn't a playful thing, trust me. In hindsight, she may have issues herself but that's me trying to make excuses for the woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

No way :eek: Do you know what, I'm tired of having to make excuses for people, if they're going to initiate confrontational dialogue, be prepared for the response is what i say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I think I'm going to try online weekly food shopping. I wouldn't be able to handle nosey people like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

My God, who do some people think they are:eek:. That reminds me of when my eldest girl was about a year or so old. She was a noisy little thing, and used to get really excited when we went into the shopping centre in town. She'd shriek and yip at the top of her lungs. The women in Roches knew her by name, they'd hear her coming:) One day we were up in Dunnes, and she was on a roll, when a woman walking by goes "Jesus Christ, there must be something wrong with that child's brain". I just stood there shocked, close to tears, while my mother tore after her and took the head off her. She said the woman's husband was half dead with the embarrasment.
    When the same daughter was about 5, I was refusing her sweets at a checkout, she'd had some already and was no way getting more. She whined on and on, and I'd got to the stage where I was just ignoring her. The elderly man in front of us turns to me, and says can I please buy your little girl some sweets? I was incredulous, everyone, including a very happy looking child, was watching to see what was going to happen next. Through extremely gritted teeth, I told him no thanks, she's had some already. He probably just meant well, but I was like don't try and go over my head, I don't even know you:mad:
    I don't know why some people find it necessary to comment on other peoples kids, were they never kids themselves, or have none of their own? If I ever see a child throwing a wobbler the most I do is give the parent the I know what you're going through look, and keep going. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

'AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH F*ck OFFFFFFFFFFFF ':pac::pac::pac:
    Its what springs to my mind :eek::D:cool::P

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

Oh my god! Is that what I have to look forward too!!!

Yeah I think I would have told all those people where to go....very rudely. Also that man offering to buy your child sweets. I know he thought he was probably being nice but I would have said something like "Are you a paedofile or something?" if I had been in a really pissey mood. Cruel I suppose.....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I get that a bit at the moment. My 2 yr old is going through his screaming stage, its easier and quicker to just ignore him but I get a lot of old biddies putting their nose in.

I had a woman give out to me last week for buying hair dye for my 15 yr old. I've had people telling me my son should have a coat on in the shop, once had someone give out to me when I was pregnant for buying a bottle of wine :eek:

All you can do is ignore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

Oh jaysus ET!!!

My friend was in the pub about 2 months before she gave birth and was having a drink!! And one of her partners friends felt it was his right to comment and give out to her about drinking an alcoholic drink whilst pregnant. Well you'd swear she'd been drinking non stop!!!
    Apparently the pub went deathly quiet......my friend just launched into him about his drinking lol :D

But yeah best to just ignore.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I was in dunnes one day with my youngest, he was about one. Anyway he was in the habit of repeatedly taking off his shoes and socks, I got tired of putting them back on but thought I was indoors, it was warm,he was well wrapped up otherwise and had a blanket on him, it was Nov/Dec. Walking around pushing him in the buggy, when this one passes by me a few times, she eventually comes up to me and tore strips off me, I mean she didn't hold back, accused me of being a bad parent subjecting my child to freezing conditions barefoot. I honestly didn't know what to say or do, normally I would be able to defend myself or anyone close to me, but I just stood there and took it all. Didn't buy anything, just left and came home dumbfounded. He didn't get pneumonia as a result and never has had an antibiotic. The cheek of some people, big time piSsed off!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Good article, as a parent myself i can understand how other people can be upset by our babys crying but this guy does not deserve to have children ,pluse they should not have had the baby in the restrant so late at night

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

Shop attendants can be quite bad as well.
    Was in a shop only yesterday, 39wks pregnant with my 19 month old. Was only going to be 5 min, but still not fit enough to carry her for that time so we wondered around the shop, she was picking stuff out of baskets/shelves, and I was making her put them back in. She was loving it and we were both chilled out.
    Well this shop attendant, a middle aged woman with a face on her in two minutes was litterally on our heels picking stuff up if it was dropped before my girl even had time to bend down ( I think she got a few dirty looks for it, thats my girl!:)). I am talking unbreakable, non-food items, 2euro slippers, lunchbags, etc.obviously.
    If she had that much time to waste following us around to try make a point, I should have just let my daughter run riots and make an absolute mess of the place, that would have kept her busy.
    I worked in shops a long time, and if they dont do any damage, I dont mind kids keeping busy and keeping their parents happy shopping even if it meant I would have a little tidy up to do, thats what I was paid for anyway (and some adults can make even more of a mess sometimes too;)!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

She had no right to say anything to you or your child, but she probably just snapped her self.
    I genuinely cannot stand the sound of children crying- it goes straight through me, but I don't comment on or at parents or give tuts or dirty looks: I HAVE however just left shops or supermarkets due to the noise, I mean literally abandoned my trolley and left.

Advertisement