Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what's the difference between these 2 8 gigs?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

One is a single 8GB chip, the other is two 4GB chips, hence the cheaper price.

Your Macbook only has two slots, both of which are already occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭eurotrotter

could i put in 2x8gigs?

1. i heard that it will operate at 8gig performance even if i get the 16gig ram?

2. can i get x1 8gb slot & x1 4gb slot?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

could i put in 2x8gigs?

1. i heard that it will operate at 8gig performance even if i get the 16gig ram?
    What model is it? When did you buy it? If it's a Sandy Bridge MBP it will support 16GB.
    2. can i get x1 8gb slot & x1 4gb slot?
    Sure.

thanks for your help sad prof.

i was always under the illusion you had to have 2 slots, which were exactly the same size.

so you're saying you can mix and match?

i bought my macbook in December 28th 2011 direct from apple in cork, since my uncle works there.

what do you mean by a sandy bridge mbp?

Years ago they had to be matched but not anymore. You still get a slight performance boost by doing so.

Sandy Bridge is the CPU. If you got your Mac in 2011 then that's what it is.

• Advertisement

would you recommend the 8gig/12gig or 16gig?

It depends whether you need it. What are you doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭macsauce

Im running 16gb on mine to speed up video rendering in FC pro X and i noticed a big improvement (bought late 2011). If you are going to install chips of differing speeds just be sure to put the faster chip in the lower slot.

Advertisement