Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Watch -lost manufacturers guarantee.

Options
  • 07-05-2012 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

I bought a watch in Fields jewellers at Christmas and the it stopped working this week. THinking it was a bit quick for the battery to go, I went back to the jewellers with the original reciept of purchase. They told me that once they open the back of the watch the guarantee is null and void so i should really return it to the manufacturer. THing is, I cant find the guarantee :o. Is this the norm? It sort of means that the reciept is worthless.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

yellow hen wrote: »
    I bought a watch in Fields jewellers at Christmas and the it stopped working this week. THinking it was a bit quick for the battery to go, I went back to the jewellers with the original reciept of purchase. They told me that once they open the back of the watch the guarantee is null and void so i should really return it to the manufacturer. THing is, I cant find the guarantee :o. Is this the norm? It sort of means that the reciept is worthless.
    No the receipt is all you need as proof of purchase, the shop should take responsibility from there onwards...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

You gave your money to the retailer; the retailer has an obligation to you; if the watch is faulty, it is the retailer's responsibility to put things right. So go back and tell them to sort things out.

That said, it seems to me quite possible that the battery has gone: it might have been in the watch in a display cabinet for many months before you got it. I'd expect a new battery, unless the watch was trivially cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭decies

First battery can go early as in watch since manufactured , I would expect that shop to return watch to wholesaler and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

yellow hen wrote: »
    They told me that once they open the back of the watch the guarantee is null and void so i should really return it to the manufacturer.

So what exactly does their guarantee cover if they can't open the watch?

Your contract is with the retailer, they can't fob you off with that crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Galia

Chances are its only in need of a fresh battery.
    Its pretty daft they will not open the back of the watch for a simple battery replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Don't mention the battery. Just walk in and politely say that it's stopped and you want it sorted. If they refuse ask to speak to the manager. If that doesn't work ask them who you should send the Small Claims Court summons into - that will normally get them moving.

Field's is a big retail chain its more than likely just a confused member of staff or someone trying to be 'helpful' rather than the company trying to get out of it's responsibilities. Bear in mind they have the right for a reasonable time to repair the watch - or indeed to send it back for you. Make sure you get a receipt if you leave it in with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Don't mention the battery. Just walk in and politely say that it's stopped and you want it sorted. If they refuse ask to speak to the manager. If that doesn't work ask them who you should send the Small Claims Court summons into - that will normally get them moving.

Field's is a big retail chain its more than likely just a confused member of staff or someone trying to be 'helpful' rather than the company trying to get out of it's responsibilities. Bear in mind they have the right for a reasonable time to repair the watch - or indeed to send it back for you. Make sure you get a receipt if you leave it in with them.

as others have said - it likely to be the battery. No need for heavy handed tactics or BS.

Watches can be made months / years before they are sold and all the time they are ticking away. Batteries are not covered under warranty and if its the battery, then the OP will ahve to pay for a new battery.

If its not a battery, it will the be repaired / replaced under normal procedures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

sandin wrote: »
    as others have said - it likely to be the battery. No need for heavy handed tactics or BS.

Watches can be made months / years before they are sold and all the time they are ticking away. Batteries are not covered under warranty and if its the battery, then the OP will have to pay for a new battery.

If its not a battery, it will the be repaired / replaced under normal procedures.

As the OP has stated that has already been tried. The staff member is obviously accepting that it's the battery and explaining that by removing the back they are invalidating the guarantee. By removing the statement that it's the battery it becomes the retailers problem in resolving the situation which may very well result in them charging her for a battery. If however during that time they invalidate the manufacturers warranty that will become their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

It it is a waterproof/resistant watch, Fields may have to send it away to be repressurised after the battery is fitted. Not all jewellers have the piece of kit needed to do this.

The person in the shop may have been thinking of this, but not explaining it properly.

It is up to Fields to take care of this, not the OP.

Advertisement