Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bartering

• 07-05-2012 10:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭

Just wondering with so many swap ads on adverts nowadays how many of you guys barter or have bartered recently? i do so quite a lot and find it a good way of getting rid of things i no longer need.

bartering is defined as the exchange of goods and services directly for other goods and services without a medium of exchange such as money

Do you barter?Have you bartered recently? 43 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    32% 14 votes
    Yes, but more since the recession started
    55% 24 votes
    Yes, but less since the recession started
    11% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

bartering is defined as the exchange of goods and services directly for other goods and services without a medium of exchange such as money

You've still lost me. Please simplify your definition...

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭yogi beer

i've swapped pokemon cards as a kid if thats what you're asking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

You've still lost me. Please simplify your definition...

:rolleyes:

swapping an ipod for a phone. or an hours gardening work for an hours building work

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Not for want of trying - many's the time I've gone into Penney's with a chicken under my arm only to be turned away at the till.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

my very soon to be mother in law is an expert at bartering. she does it in nearly every shop she goes to

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

swapping an ipod for a phone. or an hours gardening work for an hours building work

Swapping a helpful explanation for a sarcastic question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭firedancer

hows this for a barter idea - i need someone with expertise to help me with techie online stuff, i have a spare room near university - so free lodgings next year at college for some tutoring..plus would be company for me in the house next winter...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

firedancer wrote: »
    hows this for a barter idea - i need someone with expertise to help me with techie online stuff, i have a spare room near university - so free lodgings next year at college for some tutoring..plus would be company for me in the house next winter...?
    Didn't realise you were out? http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/02/15/article-0-03FC560E000005DC-256_468x355.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

TBH I haven't seen very many ads for barter/swap myself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

500 bottle caps for that there Plasma Rifle Ammo, please...

..Oh, wait...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Thanks for all the poll takers so far guys. Keep em coming :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Depends, if I'm wearing my medallion which give me +10 Bartering.

Could bring it up to +50 if I have the right potions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

we use Bartercard a bit in work. Similar thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If you mean going on Adverts and offering prices to sellers that would insult the intelligence of a baboon, no I don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Bartering is not haggling or bargaining

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Not for want of trying - many's the time I've gone into Penney's with a chicken under my arm only to be turned away at the till.

Maybe they didn't have stock to the value of the chicken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

I know someone who grows their own vegetables, potatoes, carrots, beetroot, turnip, peas, beans and onions. They also have a flock of hens and ducks and some chickens for eating, all organic / free-range.
    They have been regularly bartering with the local shops for other foodstuffs for a number of years.
    They barter their produce for milk,bread, butter , cheeses, and meat. Then shop keeper "doesn't sell it on";) but exchanges items "for their own personal use".:rolleyes:
    They also get a man in every now and then to slaughter the chickens, and he gets paid in eggs , veg, chicken etc.
    I wish I had the land and the ability to try that, I think it's a great idea and I remember form years ago it was more prevalent.
    I remember the local mechanic would fix cars and lawnmowers / chainsaws and be "paid" in hard liquor, until he drank himself into a stupor.
    Yes, the county was a better place back then. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

stovelid wrote: »
    If you mean going on Adverts and offering prices to sellers that would insult the intelligence of a baboon, no I don't.

Oh you mean the offer of 70% less than you asked for on the ad or the guy I shall not name(Russian petrol bomb) offering you a crap phone he only got the week before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Depends, if I'm wearing my medallion which give me +10 Bartering.

Could bring it up to +50 if I have the right potions.

Pffft, and i bet you're an imperial an' all...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭firedancer

b.harte wrote: »
    I know someone who grows their own vegetables, potatoes, carrots, beetroot, turnip, peas, beans and onions. They also have a flock of hens and ducks and some chickens for eating, all organic / free-range.
    They have been regularly bartering with the local shops for other foodstuffs for a number of years.
    They barter their produce for milk,bread, butter , cheeses, and meat. Then shop keeper "doesn't sell it on";) but exchanges items "for their own personal use".:rolleyes:
    They also get a man in every now and then to slaughter the chickens, and he gets paid in eggs , veg, chicken etc.
    I wish I had the land and the ability to try that, I think it's a great idea and I remember form years ago it was more prevalent.
    I remember the local mechanic would fix cars and lawnmowers / chainsaws and be "paid" in hard liquor, until he drank himself into a stupor.
    Yes, the county was a better place back then. :eek:

i would love that life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

There will only be Bartering very soon. I hear Visa are bringing out "bartercard" just for EU citizens. ;)

Advertisement