Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Management Fees

Options
  • 07-05-2012 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

I moved into my gated apartment estate two months ago. The gate is controlled by registering my phone number with the management company then ringing a number and the gate will open. This was fine until last week when i was informed that my landlord didn't pay the management fee, and now I can not open the gate. Saturday night someone tried to steal / damage my car within the complex . I am just wondering where, if anywhere, do i stand in getting the car fixed my either the landlord or management company

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭flipper87

Anyone have a similar experience like this? I moved into my gated apartment estate two months ago. The gate is controlled by registering my phone number with the management company then ringing a number and the gate will open. This was fine until last week when i was informed that my landlord didn't pay the management fee, and now I can not open the gate. Saturday night someone tried to steal / damage my car within the complex . I am just wondering where, if anywhere, do i stand in getting the car fixed my either the landlord or management company

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

That would be your Insurance company covering your car Ted

Dougle, why should i go through my insurance if the management are supposed to securing this kip? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

flipper87 wrote: »
    Dougle, why should i go through my insurance if the management are supposed to securing this kip? :D

Insurance company. Management company manage the complex and would not be liable for issue like this. Also nothing to do with the landlord.

well thats a kick in the bollox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭dirtyden

They provide a gate but not security.

It will be your car insurance. I hope you reported the attempted break-in when it happened.

dirtyden wrote: »
    They provide a gate but not security.

It will be your car insurance. I hope you reported the attempted break-in when it happened.

waitin for the pigaroos now. Only noticed tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭dirtyden

waitin for the pigaroos now. Only noticed tonight

Should be pretty straightforward then.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

chris85 wrote: »
    Insurance company. Management company manage the complex and would not be liable for issue like this. Also nothing to do with the landlord.

If it's agreed the landlord should pay the management fee and he didn't pay it, therefore the tenant could not access the gate to the property - Then I would very much think it IS something to do with the landlord!

OP who is responsible for the management fee, what does your tenancy agreement say. I'm not saying you should claim from him but you should definitely make him aware of what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Anyone have a similar experience like this? I moved into my gated apartment estate two months ago. The gate is controlled by registering my phone number with the management company then ringing a number and the gate will open. This was fine until last week when i was informed that my landlord didn't pay the management fee, and now I can not open the gate. Saturday night someone tried to steal / damage my car within the complex . I am just wondering where, if anywhere, do i stand in getting the car fixed my either the landlord or management company

Wait how does this work? Do you have to ring up your management company every time you want to nip out or something?

• Advertisement

Wait how does this work? Do you have to ring up your management company every time you want to nip out or something?

Yep. pain in the arse. Especially when you order a curry. U have to ring to let him in then ring to let him out ha. That was better than what i have to do now, the long walk to the gate :(

If it's agreed the landlord should pay the management fee and he didn't pay it, therefore the tenant could not access the gate to the property - Then I would very much think it IS something to do with the landlord!

OP who is responsible for the management fee, what does your tenancy agreement say. I'm not saying you should claim from him but you should definitely make him aware of what happened.

He was supposed to have paid it already. he lied. Either way i'm not happy, paying the fee or not this should not have happened

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

You register your phone number with a SIM located in a phone built into the gate. When you ring the gates phone number, if it recognises your number and opens the gate. If it doesn't recognise your number, it doesn't open. There should be no actual call and there's no person at the other end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

sounds like its safer outside the gates OP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

markpb wrote: »
    You register your phone number with a SIM located in a phone built into the gate. When you ring the gates phone number, if it recognises your number and opens the gate. If it doesn't recognise your number, it doesn't open. There should be no actual call and there's no person at the other end.

And then, your phone dies! You're ****ed! You'll be hopping over that gate, if you want to get out.
    Yep. pain in the arse. Especially when you order a curry. U have to ring to let him in then ring to let him out ha. That was better than what i have to do now, the long walk to the gate :(

It isn't a good system if you're some serial killer mind you... not that you are! Just some other radnom person who lives in a gated community and who lures take-away drivers into his dominion.

IM0 wrote: »
    sounds like its safer outside the gates OP

yep. I wish i knew how they were planning to get out with the car ha. Must have been one of the neighbors

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The safety and security of your car is your own responsibility. If it is parked in the complex, it is not up to your landlord or the mgt company to compensate you if someone tries to break into it or steal it. Mgt fees are high enough as they are for most people. They would be impossibly high if landlords or mgt companies were held liable for damage or theft of residents cars.

Your being denied a gate code is a separate issue, unless the car had to be parked outside as you could not get access to the property. But as you said it was within the complex at the time, I presume that that was not the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The access issue is between you and your landlord - if you cannot access the complex your landlord is breaching your lease contract and you would have recourse against them for this.

No matter where you park your car it would be at your own risk unless you hire a private car security person for your car. Beit on the street, in a public car park or a private car park, the risk is yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Was the car inside or outside the gates? The way you describe it sounds like it was inside the gates, in which case Im not sure what kind of responsibility you feel the landlord has?

If it was outside the gates and it was me in that situation I would kick up an almighty fuss and go completely ballistic (part of the reason I live where I do is for the added security for my car), but Im not really sure that it would get me anywhere. Ultimately its up to you to ensure the safety of your car, and if it you cannot secure it within the gated car park for the night then you need to find somewhere secure to leave it overnight. Thats not the landlords responsibility.

It might however be a valid reason to break the lease; if it is in the lease that the apartment includes secure parking behind a gate and you can no longer gain access to that secure parking then you are no longer getting what you are paying for and the landlord is not upholding their end of the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,521 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If you don't have a phone(battery dead), or credit how do you get in ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Threads merged

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ted1 wrote: »
    If you don't have a phone(battery dead), or credit how do you get in ?

You wait for another resident who does, and follow them in.......
    We have the exact same system here ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Thats a good trick,re gate lock acess thru phone, i hear on pat kenny show, rte radio, many people are not paying management fees ,for various reasons.
    The other residents end up paying for them, paying higher fees, because the maintenance has to be done .
    they may get away with it for years .
    Maybe keep,rent receipt,letter from landlord, with you, in case someone
    trys to stop you going in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

riclad wrote: »
    Maybe keep,rent receipt,letter from landlord, with you, in case someone
    trys to stop you going in.

That would still give you no right. Access is being denied to the landlord for breach of contract. Just because the OP is giving money to said landlord, doesn't give them access rights that the landlord doesn't have. The OP needs to take this up with their landlord.

Advertisement