Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-English Postgraduate - Am I Mad?

Options
  • 07-05-2012 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭

I've been offered the opportunity to go abroad and engage in an intensive 10 month language course after which I can choose any postgraduate degree in the country lasting up to 3 years and have my tuition paid for my the state. They also pay for my accommodation, extra help in studying, the preparatory programme, career guidance and will make some allowances regarding exams. The only catch is that the masters degree will be taught in a language which at this stage I have only been studying on and off for about 2 years. I'm tempted, but am just wondering... am I taking too much of a chance? I really don't want to waste my time and have to return home to start all over again.

Has anyone out there attempted a postgraduate degree in a language which hasn't been their native tongue and do they have any advice to offer...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭daithimacgroin

if u tell us what language,then someone could tell u if u are mad

e.g Germanic language pretty attainable
    asian language not half enough time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

I'm hoping not to derail the conversation with talks of politics, but it's Hebrew- my level is currently quite good and I have already spent 6 months in the country and studied it myself (with about a year and a half before I will start these studies to improve) and it is in my view the 'easiest' semitic language

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭daithimacgroin

if that year and a half can be spent all on hebrew then i dont see why not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Many thanks for your help Daithi! I was talking to people who went to university in Israel and apparently nearly all reading material is in English and many lecturers specifically ask for essays etc to be written in English, so all I need to do is be able to understand my professor which, in the amount of time I have, should be reasonable!
    Here goes nothing, I guess...!

Advertisement