Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl joining rip-off mẻrchants

Options
  • 07-05-2012 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭

Lidl selling 'Top Move' 50L trolley case on 2/4/12 for E16.99, fast forward to today, Lidl selling 'Top Move' 35L trolley case for E24.99 !!!! Summer 'special' ????:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

How on EARTH is this a rip-off???

They are 2 completely different products!!!

one is a basic 50l travel case, the other is a 35l travel case with extending handle, wheels, pockets, extension zip, 2 padlocks, conforming to new airline size etc etc.

Compared to similar non branded offering in the likes of shaws and arnotts, this is brilliant value.

Does anyone posting actually read the sticky on top "what is a rip-off"???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Am I still asleep or are they two different sizes?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Capri wrote: »
    They don't appear to be of similar manufacture, so there could be a quality difference. I didn't see the 35l cases, but I looked at the 50l ones when they were on offer: I didn't consider them to be of good quality, certainly not robust enough to withstand the attentions of airport baggage handlers. It might be that the 35l cases are better quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The more expensive one has this description that the cheapo one doesn't have on the specs:
    Robust and durable - reinforced edges and tear-resistant outer material

I rest my case.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Jaysus - even looking at the 2 pics on a mobile phone screen shows a huge difference on the quality of material used. The bigger one is light flimsy nylon material and about the same as a outer shell of a raincoat. The smaller more expensive one is clearly a woven type fabric that is quite robust.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Cracker_Jack

Lidl have stopped selling their Schogetten chocolate and they replaced it with Cadburrys - now 50% more expensive. They will probably blame the VAT once their sales start to fall. Lidl is taking on big brands and as a consequence, they are risking turnover. Nobody wants these big brands anymore. The whole point of Lidl is supposed to be a discount retailer offering alternative brands. At least I don't have to worry about Lidl anymore - I just transferred to Aldi. Stuff Lidl, they can rot like SuperValu and Tesco now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Lidl have stopped selling their Schogetten chocolate and they replaced it with Cadburrys - now 50% more expensive. They will probably blame the VAT once their sales start to fall. Lidl is taking on big brands and as a consequence, they are risking turnover. Nobody wants these big brands anymore. The whole point of Lidl is supposed to be a discount retailer offering alternative brands. At least I don't have to worry about Lidl anymore - I just transferred to Aldi. Stuff Lidl, they can rot like SuperValu and Tesco now.

They change their chocolate and are now no longer a discount retailer offering alternative brands?

Its almost as if there is nothing else in the shop other than one type of chocolate. I know when I got shopping for fruit and veg that the most important thing for me is they type of chocolate the shop sells.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

I noticed the Lidl 'Twix' copy for 25c has disappeared from the check-out,and been replaced with Aldi type bars. They seem to have 'specials' occasionally with the big brands, but the fact they sell Bulmers (overpriced 'because we're worth it') cider sent my alarm bells ringing.
    A good location to compare prices is Rathmines - Lidl and Aldi opposite each other and Tesco up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

but the fact they sell Bulmers (overpriced 'because we're worth it') cider sent my alarm bells ringing.
    Alarm bells about what?

Bulmers is a very distinct cider/product, its more like an alcopop compared to any other usual 5.5-6% ciders. I have never heard anybody saying 'brand X' cider is just like bulmers.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Alarm bells about what?

Bulmers is a very distinct cider/product, its more like an alcopop compared to any other usual 5.5-6% ciders. I have never heard anybody saying 'brand X' cider is just like bulmers.

Remember a few years ago Murphys tried to sell their stout at a 'premium' price in Dublin because they thought they could rip-off the Jackeens - that fell flat :P

The majority of ciders seem to fall around €1.50 to €1.80/500ml, you can buy a 2L in Lidl for €x if you want cheep n cheerful. I get Stella Artois cider in Tesco if i want 'taste' but I'll NEVER buy Bulmers because they just milk the Irish consumer and can't even market or manufacture a good cider ( following Kopparbergs multi-flavour ciders is all they seem to be able to do )

Example - Magners (Bulmers) 500ml £1 (€1.23) in Lidl Belfast
    Bulmers 500ml €2.20 in my local Lidl

That's just a double ripoff - 1 by Bulmers who sell it to Lidl, and 2) Lidl fooling people they're cheaper.

At least Aldi haven't been 'contaminated' by the 'Oirish price' factor - yet :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Has anyone actually written to Lidl to give them consumer feedback on their move to Irish brand products?
    They should be reminded that consumers now value quality products over a (more expensive) name brand.
    customer.services @ lidl.ie

The best feedback mechanism is your shopping basket.

If people buy stuff, Lidl will be encouraged to continue stocking it; if they don't buy the stuff, Lidl will clear it off the shelves to make way for the things people want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Are the Cadbury bar and bulmers being sold cheaper in lidl than in other supermarkets? Is this not the important point?. Also my understanding is that lidl change some products depending in purchase discounts they get from suppliers, so they may have some products stocked and on special offer this week and different ones next week.

I emailed them about the Polish products - said it'd be a good idea for them to put, for example, garlic chicken and pork sausage on the pack as well as the Polish word 'Kabanossi' or some such. Irish people don't speak Polish or know the products ( maybe after the summer in Poland they will !!! :D ) so they need an explanation on the packets.

I see Aldi have their 'Taurus' cider €1.15 can but Bulmers is €2.24 can - if I want 'quality' I'll buy Stella cider in Tesco rather than Bulmers rip off.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

if I want 'quality' I'll buy Stella cider in Tesco rather than Bulmers rip off.:mad:

It's not cider, it's cidré:p

I emailed them about the Polish products - said it'd be a good idea for them to put, for example, garlic chicken and pork sausage on the pack as well as the Polish word 'Kabanossi' or some such...
    Knowing what is in the product lessens the sense of adventure.

But if you are really unadventurous, I think that just about every branch of Lidl in Ireland has fluent Polish speakers on their staff to interpret for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

That's just a double ripoff - 1 by Bulmers who sell it to Lidl, and 2) Lidl fooling people they're cheaper.
    davo10 wrote: »
    Are the Cadbury bar and bulmers being sold cheaper in lidl than in other supermarkets? Is this not the important point?
    This is the important point. Lidl could be making less profit on the bulmers for all we know. Many of the big boy supermarkets sell in accordance with the suppliers wishes. Bulmers Ltd could be selling a can of 'magners cider' at half the price of 'bulmers cider', and requesting that lidl do not sell magners down here.

When I was growing up bulmers was a cheap cider, which it should be, it is heavily watered down apple juice with added sugar & flavourings, their ads are borderline illegal. Bulmers increased their prices here to make it appear a premium product and stop kids buying it. Then the government increased tax on cider raising its price even more. It is completely out of line with other ciders, especially considering others are 5.5-6% which commands higher duty and ingredients. Bulmers Ltd make other brand ciders which are cheaper.

They probably sell magners cheaper abroad to establish a market. Heineken is known to wholesale cheaper in the UK, my local eurospar stocks 5% scottish market heineken alongside dearer 4.3% irish market stuff, both brewed & canned in holland.

The aviva stadium here threatened to source guinness kegs from the UK as it worked out cheaper, this was fully legit with duty etc. Shows how much extra they charge if it is cheaper to ship over & back
    Diageo has agreed to slash the price of Guinness to the company which runs the bars in Dublin’s new Aviva Stadium at Lansdowne Road, after the company threatened to import supplies from Britain.

Irish publicans pay €131.66 for a 50-litre keg of Guinness. The ex-duty price of the same keg to the on-trade in Britain is half that, at £54.15 (€66). Even after payment of Irish duty, the cost of importing Guinness to Ireland would be only €99.33 per keg, a saving of 33 per cent.
    I emailed them about the Polish products - said it'd be a good idea for them to put, for example, garlic chicken and pork sausage on the pack
    I just read the ingredients, its listed in order of greatest.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Lidl have stopped selling their Schogetten chocolate and they replaced it with Cadburrys
    No doubt as someone moaned that they weren't selling enough Irish goods...
    The best feedback mechanism is your shopping basket.
    Actually, it's feedback. Tell them, and they'll have feedback & loss of sales. Otherwise they just have loss of sales (old product), and loss of sales(new product), so they pull that type of product.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Lidl selling 'Top Move' 50L trolley case on 2/4/12 for E16.99, fast forward to today, Lidl selling 'Top Move' 35L trolley case for E24.99 !!!! Summer 'special' ????:eek:

Tesco Multinational losing consumers in Ireland....

:P

Change. For. Good.

• Advertisement

Bulmers increased their prices here to make it appear a premium product and stop kids buying it. Then the government increased tax on cider raising its price even more. It is completely out of line with other ciders, especially considering others are 5.5-6% which commands higher duty and ingredients. Bulmers Ltd make other brand ciders which are cheaper.

They probably sell magners cheaper abroad to establish a market. Heineken is known to wholesale cheaper in the UK, my local eurospar stocks 5% scottish market heineken alongside dearer 4.3% irish market stuff, both brewed & canned in holland.

The aviva stadium here threatened to source guinness kegs from the UK as it worked out cheaper, this was fully legit with duty etc. Shows how much extra they charge if it is cheaper to ship over & back

I think if we were to attend a 'sales and marketing' event we would be told that the manufacturers will try to maximise profits from the customer - and the customer is slow and dimwitted about a lot of things so the manufacturer continues to pull the wool over the consumers eyes.

An example I checked a few years ago - Toyota sell the Land Cruiser 100 (big model) for c €30k in Japan, €35k in Australia ( in both markets it's seen as a 'work vehicle' with basic and luxury spec. ), in the UK it's €60 because it's seen as a 'Luxury off roader', but in Ireland it sells for €100k because ( 'the Irish are stupid' ?? :eek: ). I was told by a girl from one of the importers that the company looks at a market, compares what other manufacturers are offering and getting for their models, checks the taxes/duties and then sets the ex-factory price it's going to sell it to to the Irish importer :cool:
    The same evidently applies throughout the supply chain - what will the eejit with the cash pay :eek:

http://www.euromonitor.com/retailing-in-ireland/report

Discounters enjoying strong growth during the downturn
    One of the clearest movements in the retail market has been the exponential growth of discounters, driven largely by recessionary conditions, as dramatic falls in consumer confidence caused many to trade down to cheaper products. The review period also saw some new domestic players entering the channel aiming to capitalise on their Irish provenance and the depressed conditions.

Luxuries in decline
    Over the course of the recession consumers were cutting out non-essential and luxury items from their budgets. While this was evident across the entire market, from grocery to non-grocery items, the most significant cutbacks were unsurprisingly focussed on categories such as electronics, leisure and personal goods and furniture and furnishings. Although there was clear evidence of consumers trading down in grocery categories, since this part of the market carries a number of essential staples, sales were better maintained, particularly in volume terms.

Price competition remains dynamic
    Ongoing economic difficulties have encouraged operators throughout the retail market to push on with their strategies of deep discounting and promotions, resulting in increased competition and putting pressure on suppliers to keep prices low. Another growing channel adding price competition to the market is internet retailing, which has seen notable development, as both supermarkets and many non-store based retailers have invested heavily in improving their online facilities and services.

Economy will continue to struggle
    The economic forecast remains unstable with recovery unlikely to take place over the short and medium term. Despite some positive movements in parts of the economy and foreign direct investment reported to be increasing, many sectors remain extremely suppressed, particularly building and construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Price competition remains dynamic
    Ongoing economic difficulties have encouraged operators throughout the retail market to push on with their strategies of deep discounting and promotions,

This gives the impression that bargains are being thrown at us everywhere we look, but I can't see this taking place in any supermarket. There are "manufacturer" promotions, which are usually the same in Tesco, Dunnes and SuperValu, but the rest of the goods are price-matched on the whole, and not cheap at all. One of them decides to shove the price of something up, and the others up their prices to match.

We're still being stitched up by all of them, and they're all happily plodding away trying to con us with "bargain" labels.

We're still being stitched up by all of them, and they're all happily plodding away trying to con us with "bargain" labels

Thats for sure - remember Tesco fuel - 10c/L below the lowest, now they're more or less the same but you still see Q's at Tesco (eg.Clarehall) while the Topaz... beside them has no Q's despite it's fuel being the same price. Irish eegits and their money......etc !!!:eek:

Did a check yesterday Tesco /Lidl/Aldi - Bulmers 2,24/500ml in ALL of them.
    Aldi had Taurus ('produced to perfection in the south of Ireland' - Clonmel ?? :eek: ) @ 1,15 500ml
    Lidl on had 2L bottles of own brand
    Tesco had a variety - but being a 'pet day' I decided to celebrate with Stella Cidre at 2,24 for 568ml. Damned if I'm going to be a victim to Bulmers rip-off ( not forgetting their pear cider 'wind' disaster before they hastily introduced a 'new formula' pear cider months after the initial launch )

Asda UK last year £1 -568ml 'special' :eek::eek::eek:
    Starts: 14/04/2011

New Belgian cider from Stella Artois..."made with hand-picked apples" - not tried it myself but maybe worth it now...£1 a pint in Asda this week.

£6 for 6x568ml (1 pint) bottles.

Starts Thursday 8am (10am Scotland) and in majority of stores...
    More Asda dealsTags: stella, cider, cidre, asda (Add a tag)

So Lidl and Aldi both sell their own brand of cider yet Lidl selling Bulmers is a rip off?

If people want to buy the lidl brand, they can. If they want to buy the more expensive Bulmers, they can. How is having a choice a rip off? :confused:

reprazant wrote: »
    So Lidl and Aldi both sell their own brand of cider yet Lidl selling Bulmers is a rip off?

If people want to buy the lidl brand, they can. If they want to buy the more expensive Bulmers, they can. How is having a choice a rip off? :confused:

Let's put it this way, Bulmers is 'PROBABLY' :D the most expensive cider in Ireland - home produced yada yada yada , support Irish yada yada , and they MIGHT even produce cider under other labels , so WHAT makes Bulmers worth 50% more than the opposition ? :confused:

Is it 'no hangover'?, 'less pi** for your kidneys'? or, could it possibly be that stupid Irish consumers get a warm feeling contributing to the profits of big Irish business (while at the same time going on the rampage over the Household charge ) :D :eek::eek:

I reckon Bulmers sales meetings (unlike the TV ads) go thus - 'The punters STILL want us even though we're 50% dearer - God I love Irish consumers, they never stop paying through the nose for p**s' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Remember a few years ago Murphys tried to sell their stout at a 'premium' price in Dublin because they thought they could rip-off the Jackeens - that fell flat :P

The majority of ciders seem to fall around €1.50 to €1.80/500ml, you can buy a 2L in Lidl for €x if you want cheep n cheerful. I get Stella Artois cider in Tesco if i want 'taste' but I'll NEVER buy Bulmers because they just milk the Irish consumer and can't even market or manufacture a good cider ( following Kopparbergs multi-flavour ciders is all they seem to be able to do )

At least Aldi haven't been 'contaminated' by the 'Oirish price' factor - yet :mad:

Holy fook,a double rip off? :eek:

Let's put it this way, Bulmers is 'PROBABLY' :D the most expensive cider in Ireland - home produced yada yada yada , support Irish yada yada , and they MIGHT even produce cider under other labels , so WHAT makes Bulmers worth 50% more than the opposition ? :confused:

Is it 'no hangover'?, 'less pi** for your kidneys'? or, could it possibly be that stupid Irish consumers get a warm feeling contributing to the profits of big Irish business (while at the same time going on the rampage over the Household charge ) :D :eek::eek:

I reckon Bulmers sales meetings (unlike the TV ads) go thus - 'The punters STILL want us even though we're 50% dearer - God I love Irish consumers, they never stop paying through the nose for p**s' ;)

Bulmers is expensive, I get it.

How does that make Lidl offering it, as well as their other ciders, a rip off?

Or do you just view Lidl and Aldi offering anything other than own brand as a rip off?

Lidl and Aldi produce some great brands , but when they start putting Irish stuff in at 'regular' (eg Bulmers 2.24 everywhere) prices, then it's the thin end of the wedge. Soon they'll just join Tesco etc with higher prices in Ireland - because the Irish customer will pay high prices for 'familiar' (Irish)names ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Lidl and Aldi produce some great brands , but when they start putting Irish stuff in at 'regular' (eg Bulmers 2.24 everywhere) prices, then it's the thin end of the wedge. Soon they'll just join Tesco etc with higher prices in Ireland - because the Irish customer will pay high prices for 'familiar' (Irish)names ??

I CANNOT do a full shop at Lidl or Aldi. I have to go to either Dunnes or Tesco for certain things that I prefer the taste. And I know I'm not alone, there's plenty of customers just like me that have their favourites that they won't compromise on, I've had the discussion with friends and family and it's a common theme.

I'm sure Lidl & Aldi realize this and if they stock certain brands then so be it. I still know the value of what I purchase and there's certain things that I will pray a premium for and if they happen to have them in stock in Aldi when I'm there I'll happily purchase them if they're a comparable price.

Your persistent assertion that the Irish consumer is stupid is starting to get a bit offensive now by the way. Whatever about giving out about the retailer if there was a rip off (which from your Lidl examples there clearly isn't), you've managed to just turn it into a rant about how stupid you think the Irish consumer is.
    The same evidently applies throughout the supply chain - what will the eejit with the cash pay
    Irish eegits and their money......etc !!!
    or, could it possibly be that stupid Irish consumers get a warm feeling contributing to the profits of big Irish business
    I reckon Bulmers sales meetings (unlike the TV ads) go thus - 'The punters STILL want us even though we're 50% dearer - God I love Irish consumers, they never stop paying through the nose for p**s'

Irish consumers are more savvy than ever before, a lot of them realize the gimmicks that supermarkets pull, there's many a thread here that highlights discrepancies in prices/promotions so I think you should give them the credit they deserve.

• Advertisement

Just to return to my OP for a minute
    I happened to come across a Lidl leaflet from Mon 20 Feb advertising 'Top Move' Trolley Cases for €29.99 ' choice of 25/35/50L sizes so their prices have come down and in fairness to them they give a choice depending on what the customer needs.

Re my anti-consumer 'rant' - I deal with the public every day, I love my customers but there are a percentage of them who are 'blind' to the obvious - 60% of them KNOW what they want and are 'informed' about their choices, the other 40% just do things 'they've always done' and don't be aware of special offers.

I use an example of Tesco Clare Hall or maybe Clearwater, in Clarehall you can see queues of cars waiting for Tesco fuel while the Topaz next door ( at virtually the same price) has no queues. The only reason I can think of is the Tesco USED to promote 10c/L off their fuel when they started way back but now they've come up to regular prices usually.

I think most people are taking a long hard look at their spending these days and can compare things on the internet. I like certain brands but I always try new lines to see if I can get cheaper substitutes

Advertisement