Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl joining rip-off mẻrchants

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Capri wrote: »
    Just to return to my OP for a minute

I happened to come across a Lidl leaflet from Mon 20 Feb advertising 'Top Move' Trolley Cases for €29.99 ' choice of 25/35/50L sizes so their prices have come down and in fairness to them they give a choice depending on what the customer needs.

Re my anti-consumer 'rant' - I deal with the public every day, I love my customers but there are a percentage of them who are 'blind' to the obvious - 60% of them KNOW what they want and are 'informed' about their choices, the other 40% just do things 'they've always done' and don't be aware of special offers.

I use an example of Tesco Clare Hall or maybe Clearwater, in Clarehall you can see queues of cars waiting for Tesco fuel while the Topaz next door ( at virtually the same price) has no queues. The only reason I can think of is the Tesco USED to promote 10c/L off their fuel when they started way back but now they've come up to regular prices usually.

I think most people are taking a long hard look at their spending these days and can compare things on the internet. I like certain brands but I always try new lines to see if I can get cheaper substitutes

Getting points on their Tesco loyalty cards might give them incentive to avoid Topaz next door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Just for 'balance' - here's Aldi's variations on prices.

Sandals dearer in Germany,

D - http://www.aldi-sued.de/de/html/offers/2867_33395.htm €14,99
    IRL - http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_21958.htm €12.99

Trousers dearer in Ireland

IRL - http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_21960.htm €13.99
    D - http://www.aldi-sued.de/de/html/offers/2867_33396.htm €9,99

The 'net is great, you can check prices worldwide -
    Tesco operate in Thailand as well
    Aldi/Lidl operate worldwide
    Metro - German + worldwide
    Carrefour - French + worldwide
    Wal-Mart - US + worldwide

Other 'factors' come into as well of course but at least we can compare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Just for 'balance' - here's Aldi's variations on prices.
    It's great to have people with time on their hands who will do our research for us!

Cat and mouse game - they try a quick one and see if we notice. I'm lucky to have Aldi/Lidl/Tesco /S-Valu on my route home so I can get the best value for MY € !!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

What's happened to their cheap mouthwash? Hasn't been stocked in months. Now my breath would knock an elephant out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Yup i noticed that also no cheap mouthwash in lidl last number of months.
    Just a brand name mouthwash ,think its colgate.

But Tesco have a cheap own brand flouride mouthwash and Aldi have cheap one also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Gradually noticed this about Lidl. Their own brand stuff (the main reason to shop there in the first place) are getting squeezed out from the shelves to be replaced by branded stuff like Tayto crips etc that are the same price as Dunnes or Superquinn. Now why on earth would you shop there in this case :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Lidl seem to be becoming Lidl Ireland over the last few years.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

charlemont wrote: »
    Lidl seem to be becoming Lidl Ireland over the last few years.:mad:

sure go back to superquinn

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

even lidls will try their luck one day its 16.99 the next its 24.99,ive seen them pull similiar strokes in other supermarkets,although i will say one thing about lidl they are good value,i shop there regulary for my fruit and veg,and cheeses,they are excellent for those..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Just noticed yesterday that Lidl's own brand 2l bottles of soft drinks were 79c compared to 55c a week or so ago. A 43% increase in a week isnt so bad.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Alesto mixed nuts with sultanas were 1 euro a month or so ago,great value.
    Now 1.29 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Just noticed yesterday that Lidl's own brand 2l bottles of soft drinks were 79c compared to 55c a week or so ago. A 43% increase in a week isnt so bad.:rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79118758&postcount=40

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Example - Magners (Bulmers) 500ml £1 (€1.23) in Lidl Belfast
    Bulmers 500ml €2.20 in my local Lidl

That's just a double ripoff - 1 by Bulmers who sell it to Lidl, and 2) Lidl fooling people they're cheaper. ...
    Presumably you have factored in the different rates of VAT and excise duty in the two jurisdictions before you started screaming rip-off?

Bulmers may also have a different pricing strategy in the UK than in Ireland (UK booze market 12 to 15 times the size of Ireland's)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

mathepac wrote: »
    Presumably you have factored in the different rates of VAT and excise duty in the two jurisdictions before you started screaming rip-off?

Bulmers may also have a different pricing strategy in the UK than in Ireland (UK booze market 12 to 15 times the size of Ireland's)

You can mention all this until you're blue in the face, but to a lot of people it's always going to be irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Only their cola is 55 cent in fairness, the rest have been 79 cent for as long as I can remember.

mathepac wrote: »

According to my Offy, the Bulmers flies off the shelves so therefore Bulmers have no reason to reduce prices- and they produce 'Linden Village' as their 'cheap' line anyway.

Regarding Lidl, went over to their German site www.lidl.de and found
    1) Their getting bigger over there, selling mopeds and bikes as well as a lot more than we see here -
    2) they have a 'Super Saturday 'special on Graftenwalder 500ml beer 27c !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A 43% increase in a week isnt so bad.:rolleyes:
    Yeah, its not bad at all, 43% of sweet feck all is a small increase in cent.

I have seen this in other threads, using percentages to try and make it sound more impressive/extreme, when the new price is still a relatively low price. You left out one of the other usual terms people use -that lidl did this increase 'overnight' -some seem to expect they should have send out warnings and do price increases in several stages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

rubadub wrote: »

I have seen this in other threads, using percentages to try and make it sound more impressive/extreme, when the new price is still a relatively low price. You left out one of the other usual terms people use -that lidl did this increase 'overnight' -some seem to expect they should have send out warnings and do price increases in several stages!

I disagree entirely, people use percentages in order to facilitate comparisons and in the case the poster mentioned, the increase was pretty extreme.

Now, it may be that their price is still lower than comparable sugary drinks elsewhere (don't be overdoing it or you'll be on the rip-off dentist thread next), but that doesn't change the fact the Lidl have increased the price by a huge margin over a relatively short time period. Of course it's their right to do so, but one would wonder have lidl's costs risen by similar percentages over that period too? (again, one really needs to look at that in terms of percentages in order to attribute the increased price between increased profit margins or increased costs).

For what it's worth I don't think that Lidl offers the same value it once did, possibly it's been a victim of its own success, as the entrance of Aldi and Lidl into the Irish market certainly made the other retailers raise their games, meaning that Lidl's offers are no longer so attractive. If they matched their prices with quality in the way I believe Aldi do, they'd still be ahead of the posse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,719 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

But there was NO increase. I've been buying orange from Lidl and Aldi for years and its always been 79c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    I disagree entirely,
    Thats weird, as I agree with most of what you are saying...
    Glenbhoy wrote: »
    people use percentages in order to facilitate comparisons and in the case the poster mentioned, the increase was pretty extreme.
    Yep, its extreme, or rather it sounds nice & extreme until you cop on whats really happened, then its not so shocking. That's the only reason he went for it. It wouldn't have sounded half as good if he said "the price of a 2L went up 24cent", so lets stick to the sensationalist one, the one The Sun would have on a headline. 24 cent is not really an extreme increase for a 2L of soft drinks. I see coke & pepsi fluctuate by a lot more than that. And coke usually also increase "in a relatively short period of time", or as The Sun would say "overnight!"

Items like sugar have been steadily going up for a long time. In some other thread some lad said lidl chocolate was gone up, and was the previous price for "for years". Perhaps some might have preferred gradual increases. But this might have costed them more overall since the admin costs involved with increasing would need to be factored into the prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Okocim

Have noticed Lidl are putting up their prices on a variety of goods. The new increased prices are still cheaper than Dunnes, Superquinn, Supervalu, Centra, Tesco et all. Seems to be worth doing a price comparison b etween Lidl and Aldi as sometimes Aldi can be cheaper and visa versa. Safe to say that Lidl and Aldi are still the cheapest overall for the majority of items in comparison to others bar a few short term promotions from the others that don't last. So i suppose Lidl are still cheaper but not as cheaper as before, all supermarkets are actually increasing their prices but Lidl and Aldi are increasing strategically to stay cheaper than the others but also increase their profit margins on line items at the same time.

For example 400g chicken / smoked turkey slices have gone from approx 3.69 to 3.89 to 3.98 all within the space of the last 3 months.

The only way to stay ahead of the game is to shop around, unfortunately this does take time which is is short supply for most of us, but that is what one actually has to do to make the pennies stretch as much as possible!

phasers wrote: »
    Only their cola is 55 cent in fairness, the rest have been 79 cent for as long as I can remember.
    I should have posted that it was the cola that increased. My mistake on that one as I never buy any other soft drinks.

To the unbolded: L O L. If you think that using a percentage to compare price differentials is misleading, then you just carry on. Dont be surprised when you come across as not having a clue though.

To the bolded part: Huh? I left out a lot of different things. Congrats on not making any sense though.
    But there was NO increase. I've been buying orange from Lidl and Aldi for years and its always been 79c.
    As I said above, it was my mistake on not specifically stating cola.
    Yep, its extreme, or rather it sounds nice & extreme until you cop on whats really happened, then its not so shocking. That's the only reason he went for it. It wouldn't have sounded half as good if he said "the price of a 2L went up 24cent", so lets stick to the sensationalist one, the one The Sun would have on a headline. 24 cent is not really an extreme increase for a 2L of soft drinks. I see coke & pepsi fluctuate by a lot more than that. And coke usually also increase "in a relatively short period of time", or as The Sun would say "overnight!"
    I state that a price increased by 43% and suddenly I'm a sensationalist? Once more, LOL. Come back to me when you have a clue what you are talking about. Or dont. I'll not lose any sleep wither way.:)

Advertisement