Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The NOPE Thread *Not for the Squeamish*

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

^^
    An aerosol and a lighter is needed there!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Paigne

Anyone know what kind of spider that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Major Lovechild

Nuke it from space - It's the only way to sure.

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

Paigne wrote: »

the kind that come from hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Paigne wrote: »

One that is surprisingly common in S.E Asia and Queensland although I believe they are relatively harmless. Can't remember whet they are called.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

dan1895 wrote: »
    One that is surprisingly common in S.E Asia and Queensland although I believe they are relatively harmless. Can't remember whet they are called.

Please tell me that is not real! I would actually crouch in the corner suck my thumb sh!t my pants and cry like a baby if that came within 4 miles of me.

Edit: actually even just looking at the pic is freaking me out. It's like one of the bugs from starship troopers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

weiland79 wrote: »
    Please tell me that is not real! I would actually crouch in the corner suck my thumb sh!t my pants and cry like a baby if that came within 4 miles of me.

Edit: actually even just looking at the pic is freaking me out. It's like one of the bugs from starship troopers.

I must have saw hundreds of them when I was there but very few that were as big as that chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

snake/spider demonic entanglement:

tumblr_md939ypdEe1rkfzpeo6_r4_400.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I think it's the Golden silk orb-weaver.

Nephila_maculata_Lamma_Island.jpg

There's a video of it taking on another snake on Australian Geographic. Arachnophobes be warned, the guy videoing it puts his hand close to them for scale.
    Females are often up to 4cm in length whereas as the comparatively small male is usually only 5-6mm in length. The leg span of a female can be up to 15cm wide.
    Not that big really, only half a ruler :p

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Paigne

Yeah I was wondering because I seen one in the mountains in Bali while I was there a few weeks ago. Took this pic didn't know wtf it was. They're in Qld? **** I'm moving there from WA on Sat.... shouldn't have asked.....

250936.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I think it's the Golden silk orb-weaver
    Lol, who in their right mind would give such a nice name to such an abomination of a creature? :pac:

If I saw one of those things in real life you wouldn't see me hanging around for long

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Am I the only one who thinks that spider is beautiful?!
    Wouldn't be able to sleep knowing it was in my room though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Daemos wrote: »
    Lol, who in their right mind would give such a nice name to such an abomination of a creature? :pac:

If I saw one of those things in real life you wouldn't see me hanging around for long

Its because their web is golden, i came across a good few of these in Oz, their web is fracking massive, i mean the size of your house massive. It was a great barrel of laughs walking into one and freaking the f out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Its because their web is golden, i came across a good few of these in Oz, their web is fracking massive, i mean the size of your house massive. It was a great barrel of laughs walking into one and freaking the f out.
    Oh great, another thing to have nightmares about. Cheers for that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Took a dump and had a shower in my bathroom last night before I realised there was a spider the size of my hand (not a daddy-long legs, a spider :()on the wall, at head height, the entire time. Needless to say I burnt the house down today just to be sure it was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

sp6NRtp.jpg
    b0VPlRV.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Should have just pulled that out and applied a bit of antiseptic cream. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Who does something like that and immediately thinks "I must take a picture!"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I would take a picture if i could.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

LizT wrote: »
    Who does something like that and immediately thinks "I must take a picture!"?

no where near as nope as the tweezers in the forehead but this is me.
    I ran down the stairs and cracked the top of my head off the bit of ceiling that comes down. I wasn't sure if I even hit my head until blood started trickling down my face.

62585_155011551189515_4935062_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Satisfying!
    83258235.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

For me this is the best Matador goring to date,

Bullfighter-gored-_1641812e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

I was trying on an old shirt the other day, seeing if it still fit ok. It did but as i took it off a spider crawled out that was clearly hiding in there the whole time. Not a huge spider but big for a house spider. I still feel really grossed out about it 3 days later and it makes me shudder to think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Took a dump and had a shower in my bathroom last night before I realised there was a spider the size of my hand (not a daddy-long legs, a spider :()on the wall, at head height, the entire time. Needless to say I burnt the house down today just to be sure it was gone.

I fell asleep on the sofa one night. There was a mantle piece which the phone sat on right at my sleeping head height. I always used to fall asleep there and wake up all cold in the early hours and then shamble up to bed. This night I awoke to the sound of a very faint tapping sound coming from the mantle piece. I froze solid as I thought it was a mouse or a rat. After about a minute I got up the courage to turn my head to see what it was. It was a f**king huge spider. It was that big I could hear it as it feckin walked! I deaded it with a towel after I calmed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

^^^
    Try driving a motorbike at 70mph on the motorway and have a large spider suddenly crawl down on the inside of the helmet visor.

Spiders are evil bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Satisfying!
    83258235.gif

And that's, kids, where pot noodles come from....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

Foot-Binding.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Some people grow a little too fond of their communion shoes!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

It's foot-binding, an old tradition for women in China. Apparently, having small feet makes girls more attractive. One of the more savage old traditions that has more or less died out (and is banned).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Seemingly one of the Emperors had a dancer who had tiny feet which he loved so women used to start tying their kids feet up when they were babies until the ended up with feet like that. Horrible thing, broken bones and constant agony. Some still practice it today but as said above it is illegal. Watched a doc about it once. Women telling stories of their grandparents tightening the binds and hearing their own bone break. Boggles the mind.

Advertisement