Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The NOPE Thread *Not for the Squeamish*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

2IsEbTp.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

numUMsz.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Everyone sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin...

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn22227-rosacea-may-be-caused-by-mite-faeces-in-your-pores.html#.UkUby3-E6um
    There are tiny bugs closely related to spiders living in the pores of your face. They have long been considered mere passengers, doing no harm beyond upsetting the squeamish. But they may be causing an ancient skin disease that is estimated to affect between 5 and 20 per cent of people worldwide, and 16 million in the US alone.

People aged between 30 and 60, especially women, sometimes develop rosacea: red inflamed skin, with swelling, roughness and fine, visible blood vessels, usually in the central zone of the face. Severe cases can resemble acne, irritate the eyes and lead to the bulbous red nose seen in caricatures of the elderly.

The disease affects all races but is known as the "curse of the Celts" as it is thought to especially affect people with very fair skin, although it may simply be more visible on their skin. Rosacea is commonly blamed on another alleged Celtic curse – excessive drinking. But while alcohol can trigger a flare-up, so can many other kinds of stress. Teetotallers are just as susceptible, according to the US National Rosacea Society.

Kevin Kavanagh of the National University of Ireland, in Maynooth, now thinks he has discovered the cause – and it isn't for the faint-hearted.

Tiny mites – eight-legged arachnids related to spiders – live in the pores of our facial skin. They are particularly fond of the hair follicles of eyebrows and eyelashes, and the oily pores most common on the nose, forehead and cheeks. Called Demodex, the mites eat sebum, or facial oil, and colonise your face at puberty.
    Preference for stressed skin

They crawl about your face in the dark to mate, then crawl back into pores to lay their eggs and die. Healthy adults have around one or two mites per square centimetre of facial skin. People with rosacea, however, can have 10 times as many, says Kavanagh. Research suggests that the stress that causes flare-ups of rosacea changes the chemicals in sebum, making it better food for mites.

Rosacea often improves with antibacterial drugs that don't affect the mites, such as tetracyclines. Kavanagh thinks this is because rosacea is caused by a reaction to bacteria in the mite's faeces.

Demodex does not have an anus and therefore cannot get rid of its faeces. "Their abdomen just gets bigger and bigger, and when they die and decompose they release their faeces all at once in the pore," says Kavanagh. When the mites are numerous, he believes that the material is enough to trigger an immune reaction, inflammation and tissue damage.

Kavanagh notes that one kind of bacteria in the mites' guts, Bacillus oleronius, is killed by the antibiotics that work against rosacea, and not by other types of antibiotics. His lab reported in June that 80 per cent of people with the most common kind of rosacea have immune cells in their blood that react strongly to two proteins from B. Oleronius, releasing triggers of inflammation. Only 40 per cent of people without rosacea have this reaction.

Kavanagh is now trying to get funding to develop antibodies to the bacterial proteins, to track their location and link them more firmly to the disease. Ultimately, treatments aimed at the trigger proteins may prevent rosacea.

Pic

1236099_670767419610939_1896192919_n.jpg

Who's got an itchy face after reading that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

Makes me want to go have a baby faced shave, cut off their little heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

What. The. Actual. Fúck?

aOqrb5N_460sa.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

--Kaiser-- wrote: »

Who's got an itchy face after reading that?

I feel like tearing my skin off :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I feel like tearing my skin off :(

Didnt bother me at all after seeing the photo, if they looked like spiders and there was a gif of them crawling in and out of the pores its safe to say Id dip my face in the deep fat fryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Redneck cyst popping !

"Make a bigger hoe, bigger hoe" "Make a bigger hoe, bigger hoe" "Make a bigger hoe, bigger hoe" "Make a bigger hoe, bigger hoe" "Make a bigger hoe, bigger hoe"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

What..is...that

Ragworm. Commonly used in fishing as bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

7EvqJim.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

There's a deceptively still body of water in Tanzania with a deadly secret—it turns any animal it touches to stone. The rare phenomenon is caused by the chemical makeup of the lake, but the petrified creatures it leaves behind are straight out of a horror film.

Photographed by Nick Brandt in his new book, Across the Ravaged Land, petrified creatures pepper the area around the lake due to its constant pH of 9 to 10.5—an extremely basic alkalinity that preserves these creatures for eternity. According to Brandt:

I unexpectedly found the creatures - all manner of birds and bats - washed up along the shoreline of Lake Natron in Northern Tanzania. No-one knows for certain exactly how they die, but it appears that the extreme reflective nature of the lake’s surface confuses them, and like birds crashing into plate glass windows, they crash into the lake. The water has an extremely high soda and salt content, so high that it would strip the ink off my Kodak film boxes within a few seconds. The soda and salt causes the creatures to calcify, perfectly preserved, as they dry.

I took these creatures as I found them on the shoreline, and then placed them in ‘living’ positions, bringing them back to ‘life’, as it were. Reanimated, alive again in death.

The rest of the haunting images follow and they feature in Brandt's book, available here. Or, you could go and visit for yourself—but keep a safe distance from the water, please.

ku-bigpic.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

More cool then nope but sure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Apart from the poor animals & birds dying, that's not NOPE at all it's fascinating :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

zerks wrote: »
    7EvqJim.jpg

Asian Giant Hornet?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1003/478153-giant-hornets-china/

They've killed 42 people and injured 1,640 in China's northwestern province of Shaanxi in recent weeks. They have a 6mm stinger and can be very aggressive. Masato Ono, an entomologist at Tamagawa University near Tokyo, (In Japan 30-40 people die each year from their stings) described the sensation as feeling "like a hot nail being driven into my leg"

If you are allergic to them, they can kill you with one sting due to an allergic reaction. If you receive 10 or more stings you are advised to seek medical attention in China, and up to 30 or more you will require emergency treatment. They can cause renal failure on top of multiple organ failure.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I mis-read the article the first time, and for a horrible few moments I thought it said the worms could be up to 2 metres in diameter! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Yakuza wrote: »
    Whatever happens in the natural world is fair enough, but that was someone choosing to feet live food to their pet. The humane thing would have been to stun the poor bugger before letting him meet his mousey maker. I won't get into more debate here as this is a picture thread, but I felt it was worth commenting on.

Sorry, didnt mean the wording to sound like a d1ck so back to NOPE

Steve o fart mask...
    steveo.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Could be a repost not sure.
    Man found dead in house of giant snakes.
    Some people will hope on this.
    http://youtu.be/Hs3ROAjQens

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

8755_06a9.gif

BfvR2Sj.jpg
    Bathroom from a foreclosed house in the US. Those appear to be diapers or women's sanitary pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

Jesus christ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Cork selfbuild

Oh dear god.... Why did I open this...

Seen this one before, made me puke a little in my mouth...

This is NSFW and you've be warned. Animals eat animals, fact of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Augmerson wrote: »
    http://i.imgur.com/BfvR2Sj.jpg
    Bathroom from a foreclosed house in the US. Those appear to be diapers or women's sanitary pads.

They are sanitary pads... God could you imagine the smell :\

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Thread won, that is fucking vile.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

January wrote: »
    They are sanitary pads... God could you imagine the smell :\

lots-of-fish.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

/thread after that. Yeebus!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Cork selfbuild

fd6fcb618a34417aa2e761bf1b024821.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Hakuna Matata!
    I don't think that's Nope at all, more fascinating IMHO. I'm assuming that it wasn't staged for the cameras and the folks who recorded it just happened to witness it. Worlds apart from the sicko who fed live mice to his turtle and recorded it a few pages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Yakuza wrote: »
    Worlds apart from the sicko who fed live mice to his turtle and recorded it a few pages ago.

Not for the snake or the mice. Perfectly normal.
    What makes it sick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

GreeBo wrote: »
    Not for the snake or the mice. Perfectly normal.
    What makes it sick?

Nothing wrong with it.
    I'd be more sickened by what happens to the chickens in KFC :)

Advertisement