Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house in D15, location or space?

Options
  • 08-05-2012 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all,

I am buying a house in Dublin 15, with budget around 230k euro. I used to live in a few places there, e.g. Westend village, Clonee etc. So I know the area a bit, but would like to hear what locals say.

I have a few candidate areas in mind, here is my list:
    1. Riverwood or Luttrellstown near Coolmine station.
    2. Charnwood or Castlefield in Clonsila.
    3. Lohunda in Clonsila.

I wouldn't want to go any further to the north tho. Among my lists, I can only afford for a 3 bed house in Casleknock. While for the same price, I could buy a 4 bed house in Clonsila with similar price. Besides those houses at Charnwood and Caslefield look particularly nice.

Just wonder what are your opinions here? Better location or bigger house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

Location location. Better to be somewhere nice then somewhere just for the sake of size. If a 3 bed will do the job then no point in heating a 4 bed either. What ever you decide the best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I am in Riverwood and we have a number of green areas scattered throughout the estate. Some of the Luttrellstown estate roads don't.

Walking distance to Coolmine station is great. The loop road around Carpenterstown is a nice running distance (1.75miles). The 37 bus goes along the same road (well, it doesn't do the loop obviously).

For schools, Riverwood/Luttrellstown is walking distance from a 3 primary schools (St Patrick's NS, Scoil Choilm NS and St Mochta's NS) and 2 secondary schools (Castleknock Community College and Luttrellstown Community College).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

I think the OP has made their mind up. D15 is very much a case of south of the tracks is nice while further north of the tracks is a little less nice.

Nothing wrong with that opinion as many people would think the same.

If you can afford it, get the best possible house in the best possible area. Nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yep, you can change the house as much as you like to suit your needs, but you can't change the area, so better to have a crap house in a good area than visa versa imho.

we're in portersgate and its great. nice quiet area and lots of open green spaces, but only 5 mins walk to the bus/train and 5 mins drive from blanch.

I've just bought in Rusheeny village and I'm very happy with the deal i got, the house i got and the general area as some friends have moves to Glenealy, hunters run and Westhaven (all quite close to each other on foot).

Those areas are made up of young workings people in their 20's, 30's and 40's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 jekin

Location location. Better to be somewhere nice then somewhere just for the sake of size. If a 3 bed will do the job then no point in heating a 4 bed either. What ever you decide the best of luck

Thanks! It's true 3 bed will do now but in the future with more kids, 3 bed is probably a bit small, especially if the 3 bed house is a small one.
    daymobrew wrote: »
    I am in Riverwood and we have a number of green areas scattered throughout the estate. Some of the Luttrellstown estate roads don't.

Walking distance to Coolmine station is great. The loop road around Carpenterstown is a nice running distance (1.75miles). The 37 bus goes along the same road (well, it doesn't do the loop obviously).

For schools, Riverwood/Luttrellstown is walking distance from a 3 primary schools (St Patrick's NS, Scoil Choilm NS and St Mochta's NS) and 2 secondary schools (Castleknock Community College and Luttrellstown Community College).

I am quite interested in the houses at Riverwood. They look very nice from outside also they seem to be newer than other areas in Carpenterstown. Are you living in a 3 bed or 4 bed house? The agencies told me 3 bed house is around 110 sq meters, but I doubt so. They look smaller. Those 4 bed houses are really great there but with my budget I can't get one of them. With similar price, I can afford a 4 bed house in Charnwood for example with size of 129 sq meters.

The neighborhood is really nice. I spent some time just walking around, it's great as you described, green area scattered, close to train, bus and good reputation schools. I wonder people living in Clonsila, are they eligible to go to primary and secondary schools in Castleknock?
    I think the OP has made their mind up. D15 is very much a case of south of the tracks is nice while further north of the tracks is a little less nice.

Nothing wrong with that opinion as many people would think the same.

If you can afford it, get the best possible house in the best possible area. Nothing wrong with that.

I agree with you, am more inclined to go for houses south of the tracks, no offence to people living to the north of the tracks tho. I am just weighing between nice location smaller house and "less nice" location bigger house.
    vibe666 wrote: »
    yep, you can change the house as much as you like to suit your needs, but you can't change the area, so better to have a crap house in a good area than visa versa imho.

we're in portersgate and its great. nice quiet area and lots of open green spaces, but only 5 mins walk to the bus/train and 5 mins drive from blanch.

It is true we can change the house, e.g. building extensions, converting attic. But they are not cheap. Attic conversion costs at least 15k for a 3 bed house and building extensions is 1k per sq meter. Of course, changing location would be impossible after purchase :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

4 Bedroom house.
    As nice as the area is, it's the 4 walls you will be living inside and the more space the better.

Sharrow wrote: »
    4 Bedroom house.
    As nice as the area is, it's the 4 walls you will be living inside and the more space the better.

Space can be added, Attic converted, Extend out etc etc.
    Its the 4 walls you will be living inside - Ah sure in that case we can all just buy houses in Ghost estates and not worry about the death trap that surrounds us. pffftttt

:rolleyes:

I never mentioned ghost estates, if you want to jump to fallacious conclusions, work away, but don't' expect a reasonable answer to your extremest assumptions.

:rolleyes:

I never mentioned ghost estates, if you want to jump to fallacious conclusions, work away, but don't' expect a reasonable answer to your extremest assumptions.

Yep your right you didnt mention ghost estates you said its the house that matters as its the 4 walls you be living inside.
    House can be changed to suit the way you want it so choosing location is far more important, What has the best public transport, schools, shops, etc are the important factors not whats inside the 4 walls

• Advertisement

Guys, please focus on the areas I listed there, or anywhere close. I don't want to discuss more extensive options in D15.

jekin has already scouted two places and taken that into consideration and is weighing up issue other then those.

I chose a larger 4 bed with a big garden in a slightly less nice estate over a small 3 bedroom in a nicer estate, both of which had the same access to schools, transport and proximity to family and it has worked out for the best, esp with having kids.
    Which once you do the chances are of being able to extend, start to dwindle.

jekin has already scouted two places and taken that into consideration and is weighing up issue other then those.

I chose a larger 4 bed with a big garden in a slightly less nice estate over a small 3 bedroom in a nicer estate, both of which had the same access to schools, transport and proximity to family and it has worked out for the best, esp with having kids.
    Which once you do the chances are of being able to extend, start to dwindle.

Thanks for your very helpful analysis. It is indeed not an easy decision, as you can see people have different opinions.

Wonder if kids can get to primary and secondary schools in Castleknock easily. This will be an important point to make the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Just a few more you might consider.. Woodvale, Inglewood, Willow Wood, Oakview, Ashfield, Coolmine, Glenville, Delwood... Just to throw them all out there...

Just a few more you might consider.. Woodvale, Inglewood, Willow Wood, Oakview, Ashfield, Coolmine, Glenville, Delwood... Just to throw them all out there...

Thanks, but not really interested in places to the north of Ongar Distributor. Coolmine, Glenville, Delwood are good places, houses look a bit old tho.

You have to weigh up the advantages/disadvantages with older build vs new build.
    There are differences in insulation and sound proofing to start with, new builds are not always better.

You have to weigh up the advantages/disadvantages with older build vs new build.
    They're are differences in insulation and sound proofing to start with, new builds are not always better.

I thought most new houses had better insulation and sound proof. The builder at Waterville told me the duplex there are BER C1 (I might remember wrong).

Those areas I listed in Clonsila have easy access to local amenities just like Riverwood and Luttrellstown, but my biggest concern is if kids living there can go to schools in Casleknock...I heard even people living in Castleknock are struggling to get their kids into those famous schools there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

jekin wrote: »

Those areas I listed in Clonsila have easy access to local amenities just like Riverwood and Luttrellstown, but my biggest concern is if kids living there can go to schools in Casleknock...I heard even people living in Castleknock are struggling to get their kids into those famous schools there.

Getting your kids into schools in Castleknock seems to be a bit of a lottery, and living very near one doesn't always guarantee you will be in their catchment.
    Have a quick search of this forum for any of the schools you're interested in and you'll see what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I thought most new houses had better insulation and sound proof. The builder at Waterville told me the duplex there are BER C1 (I might remember wrong).

Check the catchment area with the schools you are interested in. A few of schools have been built at the ends of their catchment area. So it can look like there is a local schools right beside your estate but it was built to service further away!

This also applies to one or two estates that where build beside older schools but do not fall under there catchment area

They're are differences in insulation and sound proofing to start with, new builds are not always better.

Sharrow has made a valid point in some respects.

There are houses, and make no mistake about it, that have been built in the last five or so years that have been built sub standard. In fact, breeze block council houses built in D15 in the 70s are far better built, with big back gardens and decent front gardens and are superior in many respects to some of the recent builds of recent years.

I realise (location, location) is a factor but the standard of the build is also important too. I'm not going to single out estates by name as I could just as easily offend as qualify my point. This is not what I want to do.

• Advertisement

I am quite interested in the houses at Riverwood. They look very nice from outside also they seem to be newer than other areas in Carpenterstown. Are you living in a 3 bed or 4 bed house?
    I am in a 4 bed house.
    The neighborhood is really nice. I spent some time just walking around, it's great as you described, green area scattered, close to train, bus and good reputation schools. I wonder people living in Clonsila, are they eligible to go to primary and secondary schools in Castleknock?
    I am on Riverwood Residents Association and we try our best to keep the place nice - apathy is our biggest enemy.

Schools are a big problem - they are always built after demand so they draw up enrolment policies that often exclude those that live close to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Just as a matter of interest, can you really pick up a house in Riverwood or Luttrelstown for 230k these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I live in a 40 year old house around the coolmine area and i cant hear anything from either side. my brother lives in mochtas and he can hear his neighbour going for a dump. i would go for an old house everytime!

None of the new houses (built in last 10yrs) give or take a handful, will have a front and back garden as good as the older houses.

Most new houses could well be built to better insulation standards, but sound doesnt get stopped by better insulation as has been previously stated. For me, I would go for one of the older houses hands down over a new build.

mattb74 wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, can you really pick up a house in Riverwood or Luttrelstown for 230k these days?

Well, for a 4 bed house it's quite impossible, for 3 bed house it is possible, even in Laurel Lodge or Park Drive, but you probably end up with terraced houses.

Are you one of those who bought houses in Riverwood or Luttrelstown 10 years ago? Wonder what was the price like at that time.

I live in a 40 year old house around the coolmine area and i cant hear anything from either side. my brother lives in mochtas and he can hear his neighbour going for a dump. i would go for an old house everytime!

:eek: I would really doubt the quality of the houses in Mochtas...

Some new houses are of poor quality, from what I read in the post "Barnswell, Hansfield, Ongar".

Are you one of those who bought houses in Riverwood or Luttrelstown 10 years ago? Wonder what was the price like at that time.
    I bought a 4 bedroom house in Riverwood 10 years ago (Summer 2002). You don't want to know how much it cost (looks like they could be 60k less now).

No I'm not one who bought in Last 10 years. I'm actually living in Lucan now, house was built 10/11 years ago, I did however grow up in Blanchardstown though, I'm from one of the estates your not going to look at :eek: but I can say, it is closer to schools/better bus route closer to the train and has bigger front and rear garden, which we were allowed to have a wall with! (the public transport doesn't bother me here as I drive)

Actually that just brings something to mind for you op, some estates(new ones) have maintenance charges every year! Make sure to check that out, and like me now if it has no front wall for your garden you may not be allowed have one!! ;)

daymobrew wrote: »
    I bought a 4 bedroom house in Riverwood 10 years ago (Summer 2002). You don't want to know how much it cost (looks like they could be 60k less now).

I take this as those houses were built around 2002. Didn't know the price has fallen lower than 2002 level, sorry about that.

• Advertisement

No I'm not one who bought in Last 10 years. I'm actually living in Lucan now, house was built 10/11 years ago, I did however grow up in Blanchardstown though, I'm from one of the estates your not going to look at :eek: but I can say, it is closer to schools/better bus route closer to the train and has bigger front and rear garden, which we were allowed to have a wall with! (the public transport doesn't bother me here as I drive)

Actually that just brings something to mind for you op, some estates(new ones) have maintenance charges every year! Make sure to check that out, and like me now if it has no front wall for your garden you may not be allowed have one!! ;)

No offense for not looking at the areas you grew up, there are nice areas to the north as well...just there are too much content in the thread "anti-social behaviors in D15". One main reason I'd prefer to buy in Castleknock is because it has got many good schools - well, getting kids in is another thing. I drive as well - living in suburb and not driving is impossible for Ireland, but I'd like to have alternatives. Clonsila and B'town should have similar access to buses and train AFIK, not sure why you say B'town is closer and better.

I noticed new houses often don't have walls for front garden, probably even not allowed to build just as you said. Those front gardens are already too small to have walls IMO. As for maintenance fee, I know the terraced houses in Waterville do need to pay, not sure for other areas though. Good thing for estates there is home insurance is covered by maintenance fee.

Advertisement