Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house in D15, location or space?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Oh I agree. I was just clarifying that specific point about the schools.

I'd also expand on your point that there lots of great areas in D.15 but outside of Castleknock that I'd consider, Roselawn, parts of Clonsilla Road, Coolmine etc. But it would depend on if you need the train, or are happy to out the back of Clonsilla etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jekin

BostonB wrote: »
    Theres a 3 styles of the 3 bed house. I think they range in size from just under 1000sq ft to 1190.
    Other than that I think its a great location, but the build quality of those houses is poor.
    That said there isn't many affordable houses for sale in that specific area. There is in the wider area, but around there moving half a mile make a big difference in the quality of the area, and traffic. Being close to bus and train is also very important.

I have seen two 3 bed houses, one 950 sq ft, another one 1050 sq ft. They are with kitchen extension - combined kitchen and dining room. I think they are really small especially the living room, around 4mx4m. The big 3 bed house is much bigger but there aren't many for sale.
    Are you saying houses are of better quality half a mile away from Riverwood estates? Those houses in Clonsilla are newer and bigger but longer walk to train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jekin

BostonB wrote: »
    +1 on the plasterboard.

I didn't even know what was plasterboard...many Riverwood houses seem to have C3 or D1 BER, insulation doesn't seem to be good enough. Does this have something to do with plasterboard?

jekin wrote: »
    I have seen two 3 bed houses, one 950 sq ft, another one 1050 sq ft. They are with kitchen extension - combined kitchen and dining room. I think they are really small especially the living room, around 4mx4m. The big 3 bed house is much bigger but there aren't many for sale.
    Are you saying houses are of better quality half a mile away from Riverwood estates? Those houses in Clonsilla are newer and bigger but longer walk to train station.

I'm saying you should pay careful attention to the build quality of all houses especially newer ones as the standard of workmanship was often abysmal. I can't speak for all houses in the area. I'd say the quality varies enormously. But there's no point having the ideal house in the wrong location. Either.

jekin wrote: »
    I didn't even know what was plasterboard...many Riverwood houses seem to have C3 or D1 BER, insulation doesn't seem to be good enough. Does this have something to do with plasterboard?

I'd be wary of putting too much faith in the BER. It makes assumptions about how the house was built and the age of it. Its a guide, its not an accurate measurement of a specific house. You'd want to check the specific's yourself especially if the owner has improved the property themselves. Also there been some rumors of fake BER's to.

Basically don't trust the BER.

• Advertisement

If you don't know how to check these things I would bring someone along with you who will go through the house in great detail. Preferably a professional Priory Hall should be a lesson to all.

Advertisement