Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying in chinese

Options
  • 08-05-2012 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi everyone
    I'm thinking of studying Chinese and business in either ucd Dcu or dit, but I'm a little bit worried about the compulsory year abroad?
    Has anyone done any of these courses and any information on the year in china would be extremely helpful in making my decision.
    My main issues are, would I be able to visit home? Do we have to work while in china? Was it safe? What was the college like? Also was everything taught through English or Chinese or both?
    Anything else to add/comment would be fantastic thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

The Chinese a fine bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 cheaps123

deleted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

cheaps123 wrote: »
    Do you really want to work in china? china control the internal,you may not able to watch youtube and facebook etc,
    china has a lot of underlying rule,sometime you need to give a bribe to someone or someone will try to bribe you.
    if you see some old person fall on the street ,you can't help them, because they maybe a deceiver, but ususally they would not make any trouble with foreigner.(the judge will judge you lose due some absurd reason)
    lot of food are poison or counterfeit,
    noone or only few people will saving someone's life ,they usually just watching people dying due to don't want to make any trouble.
    the officials always help another or some rich people,they will pronounce innocent even they kill someone. (one of the example is
    a officer raped a teacher,the judge said he was innocent because he used a condom)

9x% officials are corruption(some more than a billion) even the Chinese President,
    anything can be counterfeit in china, even the number of deaths
    or level of calamity
    the only good thing are they usually not make trouble with foreigner,
    because they may kill by police,then they will tell you he die by breathing oxygen. (if someone want a postmortem examination,
    they will hurt them and their family.)
    if someone ask what does hell look like ,china and north korea are hell
    i hope the college will tell you what china really are:(

Great.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 meesh140

Dermighty wrote: »
    Great.

Yeah... I haven't exactly been getting the advice I've been looking for....

deleted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭caoty

The Chinese a fine bunch of lads.

Great, Father, great bunch of lads.

It seems that you have been running a couple of ubiquitous "China report" from "our reporters" style of posts instead of addressing OP's questions. Or maybe you have nothing to say other than promoting your opinions about China whenever there is a chance?
    cheaps123 wrote: »
    if you love work with chinese people , love the food, culture,
    you can choose working in hong kong, everything is good if you are rich or get well paid and there is safety.

you will be very welcome in hong kong (they love people from the west)
    easy to get a great job with well pay (because you come from the west or usa).
    you can travel to china whenever you want.
    lot of people speak english (not that well),they speak Cantonese (little diffierent than chinese ,if you know chinese,you may find it easy to learn, they understand chinese as well)

i hope this is helpful for you

meesh140 wrote: »
    Hi everyone
    I'm thinking of studying Chinese and business in either ucd Dcu or dit, but I'm a little bit worried about the compulsory year abroad?
    Has anyone done any of these courses and any information on the year in china would be extremely helpful in making my decision.
    My main issues are, would I be able to visit home? Do we have to work while in china? Was it safe? What was the college like? Also was everything taught through English or Chinese or both?
    Anything else to add/comment would be fantastic thanks!

I am no authority in relation to your questions. Why don't you give them a call to find out more about the course?

Nevertheless, I don't think that there is any problem with visiting home during your one year exchange in China. There are two big breaks in Chinese college system, one winter and one summer. The winter one perhaps will be your chance to hit home if you are not concerned with expenses. It usually runs sometime around the end of Jan. lasting about 4 weeks. There is no exact date because it has to accommodate the varying dates of the Chinese new year which is a bit like Easter here.

I doubt that you will have to work in China as part of the exchange programme.

China, in general, is pretty safe. The country is huge, so is the population, so it is no surprise that you may hear reports of crimes now and again or even often from "our correspondents". However, crime rate and prison population statistics should give you a more complete picture. Here are some statistics about intentional homicide rate by countries from Wikipedia (sourced from a UN report I think)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Take a look at that table by year by country ranking, China is below Ireland which is considered a relatively safe place in Europe? Would you ask the same question if you go to the US or the UK?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_incarceration_rate

Here is another one about prison population. Ireland beats China in this case.

Having said the above, watch your wallet and follow streetwise common sense anywhere.

Your last question is hard to answer without insider information. I guess it is taught in both languages but Chinese is used much more often, but that's only my guess.

deleted

In all seriousness guys...
    I asked for advice on a college course
    Not a 'political' discussion

• Advertisement

deleted

I'm not sure if you've been following the news...
    But there is a serious amount of interest in
    Ireland from china
    So no I'd be working here, but with the ability to be able to communicate with the Chinese

But honestly AGAIN like i said
    I asked for an insiders view, not your views on the Chinese
    Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Firstly I'm a GCD student (I don't know what might give it away) so know this before you take what I'm saying at face value.

GCD has a massive Chinese contingent doing business degrees. Whether thats a good thing or not I have no idea - just thought I'd mention it.

I have heard some bad things about DIT's Business & Chinese course - no idea whether the people I heard it from opinion should carry much weight.

Have some friends at DCU that lave the place but they are doing Science based degrees.

Advertisement