Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why am i so dumb at school?

• 08-05-2012 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Am not street smart or school smart actually the most stupidest person you will ever meet. Even my parents know am stupid and have come to except it cause what Else can they do. Am extremely sick of it personally because I do genuinely try quite hard at studying and all but nothing I never get more than a B and that's with effort. My parent use to say it all the time and I tried telling myself that "nah not true" but I find that my incompetency comes out when am in public or studying for a test. Most, no sorry, All OF MY FRIENDS are intelligent I can not stand next to them in Intelligent. I can nt play tragical games cause of stupidity. I can't concentrate on the one thing for more than 35 minutes or less. I learn something off today its possible if I don't go over it in 1 a day or so I'll forget everything. Am ad sent minded and slow at everything it do. Am repeating my exams and still don't think I can get what I need cause am so stupid. Is there anyway to suppress this condition I have or is there any point of me trying anymore, cause am sick and tried of trying and not getting anywhere. There is alot of spelling and grammatical errors in this passage but I leaving them there to show you a sample of how stupid I am.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Hey, firstly don't panic.
    Panicking is a sure way of underachieving in anything.
    Also, comparing yourself to others isnt the best idea sometimes. We are all different, with different aptitudes (or talents) and different aims in life. One of the best pieces of advice I've been given on the LC is "stick to your own work and don't mind others".
    Youre not stupid, maybe learning is not for you. I know lots of people like that. A guy in my school hates learning and studying but loves more physical activities so he's joining the Army. Just saying if you do happen to be useless at learning (which I doubt, you're getting Bs) then you are good at something else.
    Maybe the problem is in your approach to learning/study?
    You can give us more detail on your subjects and maybe we can give you specific study approach?
    BTW, Your spelling is actually better than a lot of people on Internet forums.

Don't panic, do what you can and good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

People that are not good academically normally excel at something else, So don't put yourself down, I'm sure you will find your niche someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Weetbix

subz3r0 wrote: »
    Hey, firstly don't panic.
    Panicking is a sure way of underachieving in anything.
    Also, comparing yourself to others isnt the best idea sometimes. We are all different, with different aptitudes (or talents) and different aims in life. One of the best pieces of advice I've been given on the LC is "stick to your own work and don't mind others".
    Youre not stupid, maybe learning is not for you. I know lots of people like that. A guy in my school hates learning and studying but loves more physical activities so he's joining the Army. Just saying if you do happen to be useless at learning (which I doubt, you're getting Bs) then you are good at something else.
    Maybe the problem is in your approach to learning/study?
    You can give us more detail on your subjects and maybe we can give you specific study approach?
    BTW, Your spelling is actually better than a lot of people on Internet forums.

Don't panic, do what you can and good luck.
    Thank you!

My subjects are:
    Maths ol
    English HL
    Chemistry OL
    History HL
    Biology HL
    Religion HL
    Spanish OL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Weetbix wrote: »
    Am not street smart or school smart actually the most stupidest person you will ever meet. Even my parents know am stupid and have come to except it cause what Else can they do. Am extremely sick of it personally because I do genuinely try quite hard at studying and all but nothing I never get more than a B and that's with effort. My parent use to say it all the time and I tried telling myself that "nah not true" but I find that my incompetency comes out when am in public or studying for a test. Most, no sorry, All OF MY FRIENDS are intelligent I can not stand next to them in Intelligent. I can nt play tragical games cause of stupidity. I can't concentrate on the one thing for more than 35 minutes or less. I learn something off today its possible if I don't go over it in 1 a day or so I'll forget everything. Am ad sent minded and slow at everything it do. Am repeating my exams and still don't think I can get what I need cause am so stupid. Is there anyway to suppress this condition I have or is there any point of me trying anymore, cause am sick and tried of trying and not getting anywhere. There is alot of spelling and grammatical errors in this passage but I leaving them there to show you a sample of how stupid I am.
    Weetbix wrote: »
    Thank you!

My subjects are:
    Maths ol
    English HL
    Chemistry OL
    History HL
    Biology HL
    Religion HL
    Spanish OL

Firstly, your not stupid. It's fairly clear from your subjects and your OP. It seems to me that you might want to check out your learning style. You can do that here http://www.edutopia.org/multiple-intelligences-learning-styles-quiz . After you find out your learning style it should become easier for you to study as you'll know what type of learning your brain bests responds to.

Also, you say if you try to learn something you'll forget it the next day. I myself would be considered a smart kid, but I cannot and refuse to rote learn ANYTHING! The amount of teachers that have asked me to learn off an answer or essay is ridiculous. I just can't do it. I personally much prefer to understand something.

By the looks of your subjects your a pretty smart guy. Honours History, English, Biology, Religion and Ordinary Chemistry, Maths & Spanish... Are not a stupid person's subjects. I do notice however you don't do Irish... Is this due to repeating and dropping it or are you exempt based on nationality or learning disability?

If the Leaving Cert Established really isn't for you. I recommend you take a look at the Leaving Cert Applied. I'm 100% sure exactly how it works, but AFAIK it uses alternate methods of assessment which might suit you better. Some information can be found here --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaving_Certificate_Applied and
    http://www.curriculumonline.ie/en/Post-Primary_Curriculum/Senior_Cycle_Curriculum/Leaving_Certificate_Applied/Leaving_Certificate_Applied.html and
    http://www.ncca.ie/uploadedfiles/Curriculum/LCA%20prog.pdf and
    http://lca.slss.ie/

I hope I have offered you some bit of help. Good luck in your studies! I'm certain it'll work out one way or another.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Four higher level subjects and scoring B grades on either them or the OL papers is well above average. I don't know where you got the idea you're not bright.

Please don't believe half the nonsense some people post here.

Believe me, in ten years no-one will care what you got in the Leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 116 ✭✭DERPY HOOFS

Maybe you are studying wrong?Maybe you can get grinds?
    Exams are not everything in life there are many people who do well at life and exel in other areas like sport.You seem to work hard so if you got a job you would work hard so you would be valued. Listen to Arnie and his motivational speech about life http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=LuJ4hbkLiY0
    Be what you want you to be.No 1 is stupid you have a brain as good as anybodys and you should find something you are good at.

spurious wrote: »
    Believe me, in ten years no-one will care what you got in the Leaving.
    I know lots of people who did not do the leaving cert and have good jobs.
    Most left young and got trades like Carpentry and painting and decorating and plumming and they all work for themselves:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Firstly you've got to stop being so hard on yourself and putting yourself down. How are you ever meant to achieve anything if you don't have confidence in yourself? Okay, not everybody is great at school work but as someone said, there is other areas you might and will excel in. Nothing from your post strikes me as somebody who is "dumb". You come across well to me.
    So have faith in yourself, you are not as "dumb" as you make yourself out to be and at the end of the day you are who you are.... So who cares what others think? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Don't have the time for a proper input as I have to go somewhere, but there's nothing stupid about a B!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Firstly, as has been pointed out already, you're definitely a lot smarter than you think. Secondly, the Leaving Cert doesn't measure intelligence, it measures ability to memorise information regardless of whether or not you understand it, and your work ethic. Thirdly, you may be able to learn more effectively if you try a different learning technique. You might just be a visual learner, most schools don't cater for all types of learners. And finally, as my signature says - 'everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid'. Just because you're not particularly good at rote-learning doesn't mean you're 'dumb', far from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

A lot of people who do really well in the LC would probably not do so well in an IQ test. As another poster said, it's more a measure of absorbing and producing information than testing intelligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Agree with all the above, judging by your subjects and your B grades you're far from stupid! A lot of people (including myself) don't do particularly well when it comes to learning stuff of especially when we have so many subjects to do it for.

I'd say relax, do your best and that's really all you can do. If studying isn't your thing, maybe when you have free time figure out what that thing is? :) I mightened get a whole lot of points this year, but I can play the clarinet pretty well. It mightened be academic but hell, it's still an achievement.

Good luck OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

How much do you study a day? Are you distracted a significant proportion of your study time? Do you often revise?

Studying is an acquired skill and intelligence is marked by the ability to concentrate on a problem to solve it. Luckily, concentration can be improved if you are lacking it. It is important for you to isolate yourself in an area absent from distractions to study if concentration is indeed problematic. As you develop your will power, you will easily conquer procrastination and any insignificant distractions while obtaining motivation and momentum to further your studies. It is almost an autocatalytical method! DO NOT FORGET REVISION! You forget everything you learn eventually. Repetition is of the upmost importance in studying and learning. DO NOT cram for exams ever. Develop good habits of early preparation to maximize your potential and results.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm sorry and a bit horrified your parent(s) have reinforced this negative view you have of your ability. Young people can be down enough on themselves without their parents chipping in. Maybe they thought it would make you try harder?

I wish they could see this thread and see what they have done to you, however unintentionally, or well-intentioned.

Mol an óige agus tiocfaidh sí.
    Praise the young and they will blossom.

You go for it yourself and show them all - you are NOT stupid, you are NOT below average and you are worth as much as anyone else.

If you feel you might have some learning difficulty, you should ask in school about getting it assessed. If you do turn out to have one, you will be in good company as some of the most creative and successful minds had learning difficulties of one sort or another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

You're not stupid at all!

Remember- Einstein failed maths in his second level education.

You'll probably see when you go to college that you will be extremely good at k certain topic, you may be very good at presentations and slideshows and can stand in front of people whereas some of the intellectuals may struggle with that.

You're smart, especially with those subjects!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Some people get A's some people get B's some people get D's etc, no matter how hard they try. As people have said there is nothing wrong with a B. You have a lot of higher level subejcts also so you seem to not be giving yourself credit for how much you are currently able for.

Comparing yourself to others in the class is not a good idea. Everyone is different. I can guarantee you there are people in your class getting a D and thinking if only I could get a B like subZ3r0.

Studying isn't for everyone, it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with you.

I am a teacher of Woodwork and Tech graphics. The only things I ever got and A in were these two subjects. I got a D in History in my JC. it just wasn't for me. Doesn't mean I'm stupid.

I cannot type here or read the paper if the TV is on I just cannot concentrate on two things at the same time. The only way I could study is write stuff out over and over and over. Otherwise NOTHING would go it no matter how hard I tried.
    I would cause uproar in the staffroom if I admitted the truth that I have never in my life read a book outside of a school book. I could get to the end of the second page and have completely forgotten what I have just read on the first two pages.
    That is just me. It's the way I am. My sister always says just read it its easy was always trying to come up with different books that might interest me, but no matter what the type of book she got for me was I still couldn't read it past a couple of pages.

I am good with my hands (woodwork) and I am good at TG, as I said I never got above a B in any other subject I just got enough points to do the course I wanted to do and I love what I am doing now. I am still no good at reading things for any longer than 10 mins but I have just learned to live with that and work around it.
    Thats just me, doesn't mean I'm stupid just I 'm different to others but it still works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Weetbix

spurious wrote: »
    I'm sorry and a bit horrified your parent(s) have reinforced this negative view you have of your ability. Young people can be down enough on themselves without their parents chipping in. Maybe they thought it would make you try harder?

I wish they could see this thread and see what they have done to you, however unintentionally, or well-intentioned.

Mol an óige agus tiocfaidh sí.
    Praise the young and they will blossom.

You go for it yourself and show them all - you are NOT stupid, you are NOT below average and you are worth as much as anyone else.

If you feel you might have some learning difficulty, you should ask in school about getting it assessed. If you do turn out to have one, you will be in good company as some of the most creative and successful minds had learning difficulties of one sort or another.
    I actually just had time down ton to this look back upon this thread and I just srolled down to this particular message and all I could do is cry.
    I did get a test I apparently have dyslexia, but I see that as an excess for myself.
    Honesty am sick of my parent putting me down.
    Hopefully one day If I make something of myself from this leaving cert, I will never have to speak to this physically and emotionally abusive ass again.
    I JUST REALLY WANT TO MAKE IT!!

Tell him you are sick of his put downs.

Advertisement