Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If You Had to Pick One

Options
  • 08-05-2012 1:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

Alright lads, I'm here in the States where the last of us are getting either tax refunds or paying up.

Last year I was good and invested the refund, did well. This year, again, took the cash and invested. (This is me trying to convince myself to splurge:-)

It looks as if I have a second job lined up for the summer months which will when coupled with the gun fund, yes, the gun fund :D, will allow me to splurge on a new rifle.

Here are my decisions, what do you think? Anyone leading towards either or, please advise, and why.

To be honest, I think I'm going with the M21. There's just something about the 308 in semi auto...

Prices are for the rifles only, not the glass.

spr_sa9131.jpg

Springfield M21 Tactical Rifle, Krieger SS Barrel, Adjustable Stock - $3499.99

sako_JRSW116.jpg
    Sako TRG 22 308, 26", Black - $3198

While we're on the subject, here is another contender
    arm_AR-50A1.jpg
    Armalite AR50 A1B Rifle .50BMG $2999.99

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

FISMA wrote: »
    Alright lads, I'm here in the States where the last of us are getting either tax refunds or paying up.

Last year I was good and invested the refund, did well. This year, again, took the cash and invested. (This is me trying to convince myself to splurge:-)

It looks as if I have a second job lined up for the summer months which will when coupled with the gun fund, yes, the gun fund :D, will allow me to splurge on a new rifle.

Here are my decisions, what do you think? Anyone leading towards either or, please advise, and why.

To be honest, I think I'm going with the M21. There's just something about the 308 in semi auto...

Prices are for the rifles only, not the glass.

spr_sa9131.jpg

Springfield M21 Tactical Rifle, Krieger SS Barrel, Adjustable Stock - $3499.99

sako_JRSW116.jpg
    Sako TRG 22 308, 26", Black - $3198

While we're on the subject, here is another contender
    arm_AR-50A1.jpg
    Armalite AR50 A1B Rifle .50BMG $2999.99
    are ya mad :eek: get the
    arm_AR-50A1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

I would have gone for the Sako trg,but not trg 22 in 308,but the trg 42 in 338 lapua magnum.
    Much better round than the 50 cal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

I would get the armalite .50 simply because its a .50:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

m21:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

For no other reason than its a semi-auto 308 (and it looks cool (and I know its on the top of your 'want' list)) it has to be

THE M21

spr_sa9131.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

I'm with Long range shooter. I would go for the TRG 42 in .338 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

M21,hands down.;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Constab2

+1 On the M21 fantastic rifle,my dream rifle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

M21, no contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Another vote for the Sako in .338 here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

M21,

Id love to trade up my G3 but the prices of standard Springfield M1As are at the €2000-€2500 mark in Germany. I can only imagine what they would ask for the M21. It is also the most versatile of the 3 rifles.

While the .50 has the cool factor about them you have to think in the long run its a job in itself just to feed the thing.

The way id be looking it is ... Which am I going to get the most use out of and which isnt gonna break the bank to run while I save to get the other 2 :P

GH

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

I say you should continue investing your money!

Of the three rifles mentioned, all 3 will decrease in value over time, they are new production rifles, thats what happens.

I'd go the C&R route an buy a Argentine FN49!

FN49_sample_pic2.jpg

Semi auto, 308 caliber, 20 round detachable magazines, probably for under 1K.
    theres only a few thousand in the entire world, and they go up in price every year.

Also, seeing as your looking to use up 3K and hookers an blow weren't mentioned, get a Rasheed and a Lungman (6.5x55 swedish semi)

1288257523.jpg

ag42b_1024w.jpg

you could probably get them all for ~3K, and be secure in the knowledge that they are appreciating assets.

I know used milsurp stuff isn't the sexiest, but you'd not believe how the rarer stuff apreciates

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭kildarejoe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

The M21 all the way, all the day, handled a M1 recently nearly wet my self with joy.

ww
    w.impactguns.com/data/default/images/catalog/535/spr_sa9131.jpg[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

You'll definitely have the most fun with the semi-auto .308. The others are going to be just too much to feed. For me though, I'd plough the money into some project stuff on existing guns or find a really nice investment, as suggested by harmoniums.

Actually, since we've had the TRG42 and the .50 BMG mentioned, how about a different thumper for a fun gun, one you'll get more practical value out of?

Link to auction.

pix680749463.jpg

That's a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in .375 H&H. Would make a nice companion to that .338 Sako I convinced you about before! It's not a mint gun, and certainly not a collector's piece, but it oozes class, and you could make a real beauty out of it. It'll be stunning to use, anyway, and with that .375, there's nothing you couldn't hunt on this planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

As an investment none of those guns originally mentioned harmoniums is right about that. If you wanted to invest, how long are you investing for ? Do you want to shoot the gun or have a safe queen ?

How about a HK SR9T or SR9TC ... There were few imported before Bushes "assault rifle" ban in 1989.

Again semi auto .308 but all HK goodness !

GH

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

I'd go semi-auto and .308, but go for an original "black rifle"

Shorty paratrooper model with rails for ACOG/Holosight or scope :D

Last shot hold open and all the controls where humans can reach them.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ssl

M21, semi auto .308 would be the ticket.

But, if I could choose it be bull pup ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

For either the HK or FAL to be of great collectors value,they will have to be original configuration,every last bit has to be orginal FN or HK parts,and either factory certified refinished or investment grade refinish or original finish.
    Its like dealing with classic cars,just abit cheaper.;):p

You either have a 100% original classic or you dont.You could hardly modify a Jag E type by turbocharging it,hanging spoilers and air dams on it,and putting in a digital dashboard and then honestly say it is a original classic and demand the same price for it.:eek:

Only military guns IMHO that make the money and diametrically increase in value are full auto..somthing we cant do here in Ireland.:(

If you consider a ww2 STEN Mk2 was selling in the US pre the 1986 Mc Clure /Volkmer machine gun ban for about even then $500 in FA for an aul beater of a gun.That same gun is now worth close onto $4,000 .And STENs are considerd "entry level" into full auto shooting in the US!!!
    Not bad considering it cost around an English Pound to make in the 1940s.:D

Ironically one of the bigger investments to make money in the shooting world in Europe are DEACTS at the minute!!
    Less hassle,[in more enlightned countries IE most of the EU] to own,are expensive enough to buy,but if somone is looking for a particular model for their collection you can bump up the price,and of course anything with a Swastika on its proof stamps bumps up the price straightaway,no matter how tatty it is!!!:rolleyes:

Bit cheeky too of DS arms to claim that the FAL is the first black rifle...that honour still falls on either the MP44 Sturmgewehr or AK47!! They really fill the criteria of an "assault rifle"

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Springfield national match all the way. If it wasn't such a hassle to get one in this country, I'd buy one in a heart beat!

That's a lovely Winchester IWM has linked to. The build quality of a pre 64 is top class and much sought after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Thanks lads for all of the ideas, I still don't know which one to go with. Fortunately, I won't have the cash for a while, so there's time to decide.

That Sako is a thing of beauty. I considered the 308 as my next purchase is going to be spending a lot of time at the range and will be used a lot.

I have a Sako AV hunting rifle in 338 Win Mag - thanks again IWM. How much better is the Lapua over the WM?

I had a look at the AR50 - it's just not as finished as the others. At first glance I thought it kind of looked like a cannon. Then I realized, it kind of is. I like the 50 cal because as TommyBoy said, it's a 50 cal!

The M21 has the wildcard of being auto and not really having the funds for a M24, it may just be the one.

Harmoniums - nice rifles, however, I do have quite a few milsurps - no more "safe queens." The investing is going well and I think your other idea just may need to reconsidered.;) Maybe I'll hop a flight to Vegas with the 3K and see if the Pawn Stars have one of the three. If not, we'll see what's behind door #2!

As for depreciation, the way Obama is printing $'s and running deficits, any of the guns in the link would be a welcome investment.

The FN's and HK's (thanks for the video) were also pretty. However, I have had my heart set on the M21 and AR50 for some time. Just two years ago the AR50 was $500 cheaper. Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

I'll have to find someone that has the Sako and M21 in stock. Sometimes you just know the one you want when you pick it up and shoulder it.

Slan

The Lapua Mag is definitely *bigger* than the Winnie. Better? Meh, I wouldn't use one for anything I wouldn't use the win mag for. The .375 is a different class of animal. By all accounts though, should be a lot more pleasant to actually shoot than the .338. Definitely on the to-get list!

I am sure you will make the right decision on whatever you choose.
    When it comes to the difference between 338 win mag and 338 Lapua mag,is the muzzle velocity.
    In terms of ballistic they are equal,since they are using the same choice of bullets.
    The .338LM is a round designed for long-range and extreme long-range military sniper applications. Its even better than the 50 cal on longer ranges.
    The .338 Win Mag is essentially a big-bore hunting cartridge for short to medium range.

Good luck with your choice of excellent firearms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

When it comes to the difference between 338 win mag and 338 Lapua mag,is the muzzle velocity.
    In terms of ballistic they are equal,since they are using the same choice of bullets.
    The .338LM is a round designed for long-range and extreme long-range military sniper applications. Its even better than the 50 cal on longer ranges.
    The .338 Win Mag is essentially a big-bore hunting cartridge for short to medium range.

$4K for the Sako in 338 LM! Ouch!:eek:

FISMA wrote: »
    $4K for the Sako in 338 LM! Ouch!:eek:

Yes i know:eek::eek:
    But i think Remington have one in 338 LM,probably much cheaper.:D

And the new xm2010 doesnt look to bad at all.

http://youtu.be/guc9otJ-hC4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

a 50 would be class but even over there how much would it cost to feed:eek:

that FN harmonious mentioned looks the job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

ithink id take harmoniums advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

Of course you can never go wrong with the AR platform, in this case the Rock River Arms 24" 1:8 bull barrel upper is a match made in heaven with my Bushmaster lower, and the Nikon scope ain't bad either. (The groups are 200-yd w/ Sierra 69s and are typical of what this will do. Its really difficult to shoot poorly with an AR.)

68zu6o.jpg
    102kne1.jpg16ixrae.jpg

Then again, the Springfield Armory M1A NM is an all time classic, and easy on the eyes too. It keeps the 168s and 175s in the 10s if I do my part.

2laep2w.jpg

And for a really fun shooter, the AK platform, in this case the Bulgy AK-74 with Tapco trigger running the 5.45x39 7N6 is surprisingly accurate w/ a good red dot, pure joy to shoot.

1oug02.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

.338 NORMA MAG with the 300gr berger ;)

Advertisement