Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Stab City?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

jsd1004 wrote: »

I've the link quoted here for people viewing on mobiles.

"A 35-year-old-man has been injured in a stabbing incident in Cork this morning. It is the third such attack in the city since Friday.

The man received a number of stab wounds and was taken to Cork University Hospital. His injuries are described as not life threatening.

The stabbing took place at Parkview, Wellington Road, Cork at around 6.25am.

The scene has been preserved for a technical examination and gardai in Mayfield are appealing to anyone who was in the Parkview area between 6am and 6.30am this morning to contact them at Mayfield Garda Station 021 4558510, the Garda Confidential 1800 666 111 or any Garda station.

Early yesterday morning, Mark Hanlon (31) died after being stabbed at a party on Infirmary Road. Gardai are now treating this as a murder.

On Friday afternoon, a 30-year-old man was found with a stab wound on Kerry Hall Road. A 38-year-old man has been charged with assault casing serious harm in relation to the incident."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

No worries, ye can take the moniker if ye like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I've the link quoted here for people viewing on mobiles.

Across from where I live, I heard the ambulance but had no idea what happened till I saw it on the news, I was only going to sleep too at that time, Don't know the people involved but yea the city got a lot rougher in recent years, I blame the closure of Spike Island and the availability of Heroin for a change in attitudes here in the last 6 years, Although these may not apply to that particular incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I've always thought that the city was a lot rougher when I was a child. Judging by the weekend's events maybe it's getting bad again or maybe it was just a bad weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

I noticed the city durning the day seems to be full of scumbags,
    I am sick of passing gangs of teenagers drinking and shouting between the city library and the queens old castle. They have coke bottles full of spirits I presume.
    If I see them surly the gardai can as well, I know they must be sick of dealing with this sort of stuff but it is all about quality of life, small crimes make a huge impact on the lives of ordinary people yet get a low Garda response.
    If a bank is robbed they throw guards at it yet if you are getting grief from scum bags where you live they hardly turn up

I suppose it all comes back to the parents really.

Sorry for going a bit off topic but when you allow small crimes go unpunished big crimes take place.
    :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

mcko wrote: »
    I noticed the city durning the day seems to be full of scumbags,
    I am sick of passing gangs of teenagers drinking and shouting between the city library and the queens old castle. They have coke bottles full of spirits I presume.
    If I see them surly the gardai can as well, I know they must be sick of dealing with this sort of stuff but it is all about quality of life, small crimes make a huge impact on the lives of ordinary people yet get a low Garda response.
    If a bank is robbed they throw guards at it yet if you are getting grief from scum bags where you live they hardly turn up

I suppose it all comes back to the parents really.

Sorry for going a bit off topic but when you allow small crimes go unpunished big crimes take place.
    :mad:
    even when they are punished it's not enough. most youths get a warning the first time. and for the next 5 times they get more warnings or fines after a court appearance. there's nothing scaring them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

They need to change the laws.Be more tougher with people.. This whole thing of letting people off with warnings, even after being to court is so stupid..

I havent been out in town in so long now as tis so unsociable, tis scary now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Not related in any way, but Limerick bulldozed a whole estate into the ground, the occupants dispersed and some of them came from the Beautiful Lady to My Home By The Lee.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Mightymouse vs Dangermouse

Learn a amartial art, Take proactive steps. Talking about how/why/where when only adds to the problem!

Learn a amartial art, Take proactive steps. Talking about how/why/where when only adds to the problem!

Two things, on one hand if you show up at your dojo having been beaten up you're in disgrace. If you show up at your dojo having used your skills outside the club you could be thrown out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,585 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Are all the stabbings related?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

I don't think they're related JPLiz, the stabbing on Infirmary Road seems to have been alcohol-fuelled dispute that got out of hand, I haven't read any further details about the other 2 but I would take a guess at drugs/grudges/both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Are all the stabbings related?

No, there is no reason to think they are related. By the way there was fourth one today in Knocknaheeney.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Everyone who was stabbed was over-30, WTF? I would have a general expectation that if there is a spate of stabbings it's gonna be by younger people to younger people.

RIP to the dead man, and hopefully the other two make a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

EyeSight wrote: »
    even when they are punished it's not enough. most youths get a warning the first time. and for the next 5 times they get more warnings or fines after a court appearance. there's nothing scaring them

Agreed. A drunk lad who climbed to the top of the fountain outside Hillbilly's one night a few years ago got three months in jail. THREE MONTHS! And actual criminals are let off with warnings and suspended sentences. It's a total joke.

Here's the link to the climbing video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj7tYbKC_-E
    Loads of guards on the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

gbee wrote: »
    Not related in any way, but Limerick bulldozed a whole estate into the ground, the occupants dispersed and some of them came from the Beautiful Lady to My Home By The Lee.

You're dead right. 3 stabbings in Cork in 3 days, surely some Limerick involvement :rolleyes:

grenache wrote: »
    You're dead right. 3 stabbings in Cork in 3 days, surely some Limerick involvement :rolleyes:

You notice I said they are not related in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Yet you post it in this thread? Of course you are relating them.

You notice I said they are not related in any way.
    As Ludo said, why the need to mention it then??

As Ludo said, why the need to mention it then??

There are social comparisons and solutions, I guess I should have phrased it differently ans said discuss. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

There are social comparisons and solutions, I guess I should have phrased it differently ans said discuss. :rolleyes:

Trying to dig your way out of it with mumbo jumbo isn't going to work. You were clearly linking stabbings in Cork with Limerick. Easier if you just admit it. Or maybe i can give you a shovel to help you with that digging :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Trying to dig your way out of it with mumbo jumbo isn't going to work. You were clearly linking stabbings in Cork with Limerick. Easier if you just admit it. Or maybe i can give you a shovel to help you with that digging :)
    i don't think he was. to me he mentioned that because of the bulldozing, we might get an influx of bad people, making problems worse here

i think it was a little off topic but could be still relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Nothing to worry about apparently…

Cork City attacks drop by 50% following knife crime initiative

By Eoin English

Thursday, May 10, 2012

The number of assaults using knives in Cork City has dropped by 50% since gardaí launched a knife crime initiative last year.

Gardaí released the figures yesterday after calls from Sinn Féin for Garda action in the wake of two fatal stabbings in the city last weekend. A third man was injured in a stabbing incident on Monday.

One of the fatal stabbings and the Monday stabbing were linked to domestic disputes. Gardaí described the incidents as isolated and said they are not linked.

The spate of attacks prompted Sinn Féin’s justice spokesperson, Cork North Central TD Jonathan O’Brien, to call for immediate Garda action.

He also called on Justice Minister Alan Shatter to rethink his strategy of cutting Garda numbers and closing stations.

"The fact that two people died over the weekend in separate knife incidents is extremely worrying, but meanwhile, the Minister for Justice and the Garda Commissioner are quite happy to reduce the opening hours of Garda stations and close others. It simply isn’t acceptable," he said.

He called for extra Garda resources to be deployed in Cork with a proactive approach to tackling knife crime.

"We need to tackle the culture that sees young people feel that it is necessary and acceptable to carry knives on them as they go about their daily lives," he said.

"I would propose a knife crime awareness and education campaign which would include a type of knife amnesty for the Cork area that has been successful in other areas before."

The PSNI ran a similar initiative in the North in 2006, which resulted in 900 knives being handed in, leading to a 30% drop in knife crime.

But gardaí in Cork said they ran a knife awareness campaign last October, which saw extra high-visibility Garda patrols on the streets to detect people carrying knives.

People were warned that anybody carrying knives for anything other than recreational use would be arrested and brought before the courts.

Last night, gardaí released figures for the Cork City division which showed that knife crime dropped 50% as a direct result of the initiative.

Chief Superintendent Michael Finn also pointed out that no Garda stations have been closed in Cork city so far this year, and that Garda numbers in Cork city are only 10 fewer than in 2007 — from a force of 576 to 566.

"Resources are not an issue in this regard," he said.

In the first three months of 2011, just over 12% of robberies or assaults in Cork City involved knives or other sharp objects.

Many of these incidents occurred late on a Saturday night or early Sunday, and among the items seized by gardaí, or used in crimes, were a meat cleaver, a sword, a machete, handsaw, scissors and a slash hook.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cork-city-attacks-drop-by-50-following-knife-crime-initiative-193334.html#ixzz1uT1srrKI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

evilivor wrote: »
    Nothing to worry about apparently…

Cork City attacks drop by 50% following knife crime initiative

By Eoin English

Thursday, May 10, 2012

The number of assaults using knives in Cork City has dropped by 50% since gardaí launched a knife crime initiative last year.

Gardaí released the figures yesterday after calls from Sinn Féin for Garda action in the wake of two fatal stabbings in the city last weekend. A third man was injured in a stabbing incident on Monday.

One of the fatal stabbings and the Monday stabbing were linked to domestic disputes. Gardaí described the incidents as isolated and said they are not linked.

The spate of attacks prompted Sinn Féin’s justice spokesperson, Cork North Central TD Jonathan O’Brien, to call for immediate Garda action.

He also called on Justice Minister Alan Shatter to rethink his strategy of cutting Garda numbers and closing stations.

"The fact that two people died over the weekend in separate knife incidents is extremely worrying, but meanwhile, the Minister for Justice and the Garda Commissioner are quite happy to reduce the opening hours of Garda stations and close others. It simply isn’t acceptable," he said.

He called for extra Garda resources to be deployed in Cork with a proactive approach to tackling knife crime.

"We need to tackle the culture that sees young people feel that it is necessary and acceptable to carry knives on them as they go about their daily lives," he said.

"I would propose a knife crime awareness and education campaign which would include a type of knife amnesty for the Cork area that has been successful in other areas before."

The PSNI ran a similar initiative in the North in 2006, which resulted in 900 knives being handed in, leading to a 30% drop in knife crime.

But gardaí in Cork said they ran a knife awareness campaign last October, which saw extra high-visibility Garda patrols on the streets to detect people carrying knives.

People were warned that anybody carrying knives for anything other than recreational use would be arrested and brought before the courts.

Last night, gardaí released figures for the Cork City division which showed that knife crime dropped 50% as a direct result of the initiative.

Chief Superintendent Michael Finn also pointed out that no Garda stations have been closed in Cork city so far this year, and that Garda numbers in Cork city are only 10 fewer than in 2007 — from a force of 576 to 566.

"Resources are not an issue in this regard," he said.

In the first three months of 2011, just over 12% of robberies or assaults in Cork City involved knives or other sharp objects.

Many of these incidents occurred late on a Saturday night or early Sunday, and among the items seized by gardaí, or used in crimes, were a meat cleaver, a sword, a machete, handsaw, scissors and a slash hook.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cork-city-attacks-drop-by-50-following-knife-crime-initiative-193334.html#ixzz1uT1srrKI

They obviously don't want panic and fear breaking out hence they will release a statement like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

There was a stabbing here on Wellington Rd last night too. A few cars including mine had blood on them so they were taken in for forensics. I'm sure the guy who got stabbed was Polish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

evilivor wrote: »
    What the fukk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

What the fukk

you have to cut that block of brie with something while sitting in fitzgeralds park :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

What the fukk

I see young fellows whittling away in public all the time.:P

Advertisement