Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat with very lame leg/paw, dont know what to do :/

• 08-05-2012 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

My cat has a very lame leg and struggles to walk or cant run. Funnily enough it managed to jump on the couch . It seems to be in a considerable amount of pain and is constantly on his side.

he is roughly 2 years old.

not sure what happened him. This never hapened before.

i dont want to go through the hassle of going to vet, so any suggestions on how i can help my cat to recovery??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Vet? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭TehDagsBass

conor360 wrote: »
    My cat has a very lame leg and struggles to walk or cant run. Funnily enough it managed to jump on the couch :pac: . It seems to be in a considerable amount of pain and is constantly on his side.

he is roughly 2 years old.

not sure what happened him. This never hapened before.

i dont want to go through the hassle of going to vet, so any suggestions on how i can help my cat to recovery??

Read the highlighted part above.

You not taking the cat to a vet, when it's clearly in a lot of pain and discomfort, and when you're absolutely not qualified to treat it medically yourself, is nothing short of cruelty.

You really, really should not own pets if providing them with basic access to medical care when they're in pain, distress or other clear signs of unwellness is regarded as being "hassle" for you.

Bring it to a vet first thing tomorrow morning and then start looking to rehome the poor thing, you have absolutely no business looking after it or any other animal with such an appalling attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Can't give any advice without knowing what happened, could be anything from a broken bone, dislocated hip, luxating patella, arthritis, abscess, thorn stuck in paw, the list is endless! There is no way anyone on here can tell you anything other than bring your cat to a vet. Just seems a bit silly to ask for advise when you don't even know what the problem is yourself. It never ceases to amaze me, if this was a person we were talking about would you really be posting on the internet to save yourself the hassle of going to the doctors? I doubt it! It's not that much hassle to get a cat to the vet, if the cat is stressed about being transported, ring the vets and they will give you some sedatives for him. If its money is the problem, ask your vet about a payment plan. You said yourself, your cat is in pain. Get him treated!

I know my post is coming across as harsh, but I really hate to think of an animal suffering because someone can't be bothered dealing with a vet.

I know my post is coming across as harsh, but I really hate to think of an animal suffering because someone can't be bothered dealing with a vet.

Nothing you said was harsh, not even the fury-driven things I was thinking out loud to myself about "conor360" as a human being when I was writing my very tough-to-constrain post above would be called "harsh" by anyone resembling an animal lover or someone who backs animal welfare :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

My cat has a very lame leg and struggles to walk or cant run.
    It seems to be in a considerable amount of pain.

i dont want to go through the hassle of going to vet

Wow.
    Just man up and take your cat to the vet ffs.
    You're responsible for it.

If you don't have a cat box, then find something you can tie a lid to, and put him in that for transport (i used a wash basket or sewing basket in my student days). If the cat is lame and in pain, he shouldn't be too difficult to contain.

Your vet is the only person who is going to be able to fix the problem - avoiding it is just cruel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It sounds like your cat might have a serious injury.
    Definitely go to the vet!

You might consider contacting : http://www.bluecross.ie/areas.html

If you're strapped for funds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Front or hind leg? How long is it going on?It could be anything OP from a mild sprain to a break or a luxating patella (slipping kneecap). Theres nothing we can advise tbh as you need to see a vet.
    i dont want to go through the hassle of going to vet,
    :confused:
    None of us like forking out for the vet but its the committment you give to your pet when you are its owner.If your pet is ill it requires medical care, if you cant provide it, you shouldnt own the cat, simple as! If you dont have the money most vets will come to some kind of installment arrangement.

Conor360 was on the site today, even up to 2 hours ago. I would imagine he didn't like the responses he got here, decided he knows best and isn't replying.

That poor, poor cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭conor360

Conor360 was on the site today, even up to 2 hours ago. I would imagine he didn't like the responses he got here, decided he knows best and isn't replying.

That poor, poor cat.

Actually, the cat is fine now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

Did you even examine him or bring him to a vet? Cats can be very good at hiding their symptoms when something is really wrong.

• Advertisement

Unless you brought it to a vet, which I'm going to go ahead and doubt since you regard it as "hassle" and disappeared when you didn't get responses you liked, then any recovery it has made has been no thanks to you or indeed in spite of you.

Again, if you're not going to look after the cat properly, including bringing it to the vet when issues arise, then please, please have it re-homed.

Advertisement