Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability allowance & medical card question?

Options
  • 08-05-2012 5:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Hi all,

I hope this is the right place but mods please move if needed.

My GF is currently on disability allowance for mental health issues and has a medical card which covers her for this medication and her diabetic tablets as well. She is also in recipt of social housing but in the coming weeks she will be moving into my house.

One of her concerns is that she will lose her DA and the financial independance, for want of a better phrase, that this gives her from soley relaying on what I earn.
    Also she also worried about the medical card due to the daily medication she is on and routine doctor/hospital visits.
    I have a relatively good job, it's reasonably secure and pays the bills. Not well off by any means but ok.

So I'm looking for pointers as how my job will effect her allowance and medical card. Is there a limit to what I earn that she will get cut off?
    I know little of social welfare system so any info, experience or advice would be great. Even just to put her mind at ease one way or the other.

Thanks

Advertisement