Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squelchy Chicken

Options
  • 08-05-2012 6:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I have noticed something about the quality of chicken lately. It is normally in cheaper restaurants, and I notice it more in cheap Asian places.

The chicken initially has the appearance of breast, but the texture is "squelchy". The chicken doesn't appear to be fibrous in the way normal chicken is. Can anyone help me to identify this so I know what I'm complaining about in future?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It is probably chicken with soy protein or other protein added.

You can check musgrave cash & carry online
    http://www.musgravecashandcarry.ie/special_offers/

In the Indian brochure it has
    121758 80% Steam Cooked Chicken Fillet
    1 x 10kg
    €37.95

Asian section
    Superior Red 80% Chicken Fillets
    1 x 10kg
    €32.00

Cheapest proper chicken fillets are typically €9.50/kg in supermarkets. The musgrave ones probably have no VAT added yet.

Tesco used to do frozen value fillets which were 80% chicken.

I suppose you could ask is it 100% fillet before ordering, maybe claim to have an allergy to soy incase they would lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 pa_

Thank you, that looks like what I'm looking for. I can't understand why restaurants use that stuff - I'd much rather 80% actual chicken that feels like real meat in my mouth.

I would guess that 80% is an optimistic figure for some of the rubbish I've been served lately.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

It's also possible that the meat has travelled from as far away as Thailand and can have spent as much as 7 days in transport, pumped full of chemicals to keep it "fresh".

It's estimated that as much 90% of the chicken used by the Irish catering industry is imported. So it is worth asking in every restaurant and takeaway that you visit whether they use Irish chicken and then make a decision about whether you want to eat there or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭yellowtrout

I know exactly what you're talking about.
    I was in a Chinese restaurant in Wicklow and ordered a Chicken Chow Mein-the chicken was squelchy and spongey. Horrible, had to send it back.
    Have only experienced this in Chinese restaurants.

Advertisement