Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

concrete

• 08-05-2012 9:33am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

Hello

I am about to put down some concrete that will be travelled over by machinery not cattle. What type price should i expect to pay. Also what suppliers are available n roscommon east galway?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

i put in 6 inches of concrete in the base of a calf shed last saturday. For Machinery maybe 6-8" depending on hardcore underneath.

Prices in westmeath/meath area with 4 large suppliers is €62 plus vat for 30N , + or -€3 per 5N either way, (ie €59 plus for 25N and €65 plus for 35N)

I instead made mine with a Pan mixer. i put in 14 pan mixer loads in 2.5hours with 4 lads . one loading the pan mixer with 3t digger, one driving tractor, adding water and cement and 2 lads screeding. cost per 12meters of cement was € 23 per meter plus vat and approx €25 worth of agri diesel for tractor and digger for the work . Total of € 301 v readymix €744

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

i put in 6 inches of concrete in the base of a calf shed last saturday. For Machinery maybe 6-8" depending on hardcore underneath.

Prices in westmeath/meath area with 4 large suppliers is €62 plus vat for 30N , + or -€3 per 5N either way, (ie €59 plus for 25N and €65 plus for 35N)

I instead made mine with a Pan mixer. i put in 14 pan mixer loads in 2.5hours with 4 lads . one loading the pan mixer with 3t digger, one driving tractor, adding water and cement and 2 lads screeding. cost per 12meters of cement was € 23 per meter plus vat and approx €25 worth of agri diesel for tractor and digger for the work . Total of € 301 v readymix €744

I would have thought that 30n concrete would require more than 23 euros worth of cement per cu m

rancher wrote: »
    I would have thought that 30n concrete would require more than 23 euros worth of cement per cu m

I dont think its 30N but its fairly solid at the same time (Im actually going to get a batch tested for the laff). over the last 2 saturdays i have mixed 25 meters of cement at a cost of €25 per meter. i have saved easy €37 a meter compared to buying 25N out of the quarry.

Im not telling anyone what to do, its just my experience so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭cjpm

I dont think its 30N but its fairly solid at the same time (Im actually going to get a batch tested for the laff). over the last 2 saturdays i have mixed 25 meters of cement at a cost of €25 per meter. i have saved easy €37 a meter compared to buying 25N out of the quarry.

I know where you are coming from as we have done the same in the past.

Not any more though.

The surface of 20N concrete breaks up so much easier than 30 or 35. In the frost it also breaks up. Silage efflient eats through it too.

I'd be worried that for only €23 per metre your concrete might only be 15N :eek:

I hope i'm wrong and the test results will come back at 35N:D Be sure and post them up here!

how many kilos cement per cu m

• Advertisement

150kg per 0.8 meter:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

Though not an exact science, a basic rule of thumb for calculating the cement content per m3, was to multiply the strength by 10kgs, so 30n would contain 300kg of cement, with 35n being 350kg.

Like I said not exact, but good enough for a guide......

so approx 18.75N so per meter. Some suck calves to break it up.

so approx 18.75N so per meter. Some suck calves to break it up.

I'm sure it'll be fine,I have lots of sheds with same sort of concrete and they're alright but you see why we consider readymix to be value

yes and no when it comes to value. Do we really always need 30N?

I have seen concrete down 20 and 30 years, mixed by hand and its still perfect and not much cement in it and heavy machinery out it all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 connormi

I instead made mine with a Pan mixer. i put in 14 pan mixer loads in 2.5hours with 4 lads . one loading the pan mixer with 3t digger, one driving tractor, adding water and cement and 2 lads screeding. cost per 12meters of cement was € 23 per meter plus vat and approx €25 worth of agri diesel for tractor and digger for the work . Total of € 301 v readymix €744[/QUOTE]

Have you allowed for stone aggregate, what you paying for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

I paid €176 for a lorry load of aggregate which is now laid. I got a quote today of €73.40 (including VAT). Athlone based supplier.

connormi your cost did not include labour or equipment:rolleyes:

Thanks for all the replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭cjpm

yes and no when it comes to value. Do we really always need 30N?

I have seen concrete down 20 and 30 years, mixed by hand and its still perfect and not much cement in it and heavy machinery out it all the time.

I'm sure if you rang one of the concrete companies they'd quote you for a 15N mix no problem. The biggest cost in concrete (home made or readymix) is cement. The concrete companies are buying bulk cement at a discounted rate, a far superior rate than what we are all getting for 25kg bags at the local co-op.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Good loser

I'd say put in 4 inches concrete with the 16 x 8 light mesh.

Advertisement