Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Welder

• 08-05-2012 9:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

i know there were several threads about this before, but our plucky old welder eventually died the other day. Nobody at home even knows the brand or make of her or even her age so we have decided to let her rest in peace.

Anyhow, I now need a new one. Can anybody recommend a good arc welder. I cannot justify the cost of the gas for a MIG or TIG welder. I am looking for a good no nonsense welder that will be lying up the majority of time but will be able for a heavy days welding maybe a few times a year. i don't want to mention a budget because I don't want a cheap, sub standard welder, just value at the money iykwim. Any recommendations from people more knowledgable than me ( Basically anybody)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

i know there were several threads about this before, but our plucky old welder eventually died the other day. Nobody at home even knows the brand or make of her or even her age so we have decided to let her rest in peace.

Anyhow, I now need a new one. Can anybody recommend a good arc welder. I cannot justify the cost of the gas for a MIG or TIG welder. I am looking for a good no nonsense welder that will be lying up the majority of time but will be able for a heavy days welding maybe a few times a year. i don't want to mention a budget because I don't want a cheap, sub standard welder, just value at the money iykwim. Any recommendations from people more knowledgable than me ( Basically anybody)?

http://www.wholesaleweldingsupplies.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=45_69&product_id=997
    have one of these, im not much of a welder but thought it was good value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

i am crap at welding but the lad who does mine uses some gas bottle said its expensive but a few weeks ago i saw a crowd on donedeal that only charged you for the gas, not the rental. Worth a look surely especially if you are good at it.

i have a wolf arc welder. cost €180 and welded feed barriers, doors, trailers, etc with it. i think they are out of business in Ireland but might be still in UK. The lad (per above) used it to weld here once and said its a great welder. Ill check amp and vots later but it welds up to a 4.0 rod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Have a look at SIP welders. No problem burning 3.2 rods all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 rapture 3

the thing i always look for is duty cycle,if thats a low % forget it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

rapture 3 wrote: »
    the thing i always look for is duty cycle,if thats a low % forget it

What % would you consider good enough?

• Advertisement

What % would you consider good enough?
    it depends what sort of metal you are welding,how thick etc

this is what i have for welding,,,but pricy but i do like only the best,http://www.millerwelds.com/products/stick/cst-280/

it depends what sort of metal you are welding,how thick etc

Anything from the lightest nomadic peoples gate to a 10 x 5 girder. You seem to know what you are talking about. Can you recommend a welder to me?

what steel you welding? thickness? yeah been at this welding gig since my ole lad gave me my first welding helmet at 12 lol

Anything from the lightest nomadic peoples gate to a 10 x 5 girder. You seem to know what you are talking about. Can you recommend a welder to me?
    oh your welding gates and stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

OP. Have a look at 2nd hand oil cooled 250/300amp. Oxford or Pickhill.

If you go the inverter route, your guarantee would be up before you even put 4 hours up on it (by your usage in post 1)

Re duty cycles, 60% is considered good. ie 200amps @ 60 %

Generally from 2-6 mm mild steel. maybe up to 10mm at times.

oil cooled 250 amp haha funny just using one today with 29 9 rods kick ass,
    yeah op one of them,,,,heavy mofo tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

oil cooled 250 amp haha funny just using one today with 29 9 rods kick ass,
    yeah op one of them,,,,heavy mofo tho

Aye, The Morris Minor of the welding world:)

Junior, put up a pic of your old plant and I may be able to ID it for ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭9935452

We have a couple of old Crypton Triangle welders at home. Both can be wired single or three phase. Needless to say they are wired single phase.
    Neithre has ever overheated. They can burn 4.0mm rods all day long.
    They are both air cooled. one is 200amp the other is 180amp. IMO they will never overheat cause there is an inbuilt extra capacity due to running a 3 phase welder on single phase.
    I've seen them not sell on ebay for 50 pounds sterling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

The sip welder I have will also run single or 3 phase and is air cooled. Been using it on everything from gates to heavy steel. Only thing i did was when buying it got heavy rod and earth cables with a decent length to them. Tis too bloody heacy to have to be moving it every few minutes to reach where you are trying to weld.

Advertisement