Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tables are turning

Options
  • 08-05-2012 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

For way too many years through the ninety's and the noughties, I was reading about people in the UK getting the beloved old rifle re-barreled or their trigger sorted or even Full Custom builds, with names like Callum Ferguson and the dream that I might someday get one of these UK gunsmiths to fettle my little hornet.

But now it seems the tables have turned with UK shooting magazines coming over here to write about the gunsmithing talent in our wee country !!! and the service that is available on our own doorstep. Not only that a step by step build over a number of months.

Hope the pics below work as their of an article in this months Shooting sports magazine. Fair play to Fergal White and keep it up. Ireland Custom rifles are definitely an international hit!!
    Good reputation

Fergal has a long and good reputation in Ireland as a custom rifle builder and his work speaks for itself. He has a big following from the top F class and FTR shooters, though his main customer base is serious hunters. He has made some stunning kit and we’ve even seen a few of them popping up over here from time to time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Excellent stuff :D Fergal is a great fella, done some work on my rifle already.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Here is the full article.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

ICR001.jpg

ICR2001.jpg

I have gotten permission from Pete Moore to post this article about Fergal White from this months Shooting Sports

www.gunmart.net
    Hi Mark

No problems, my one criteria is that you give Shooting Sports the credit and also print out website address www.gunmart.net.

Cheers
    PM

Nice one dev110 for sorting that.

Also a big thank you to Pete Moore of Shooting Sports Magazine for allowing us to publish the article.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

I rang Fergal to get some info and where to order replacement allen key screws for the stock of my Remmy 700 last year, he told me he had some and refused to take payment for them, not even postage & packaging would he take.
    A gent, whose work speaks for itself and who doesnt need to tell lots of tall tales about his stalking prowess to try and prove himself.
    Unfortunately, a trait lost in many RFDs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 philydiver

Totally agree with "Vixdname", I bought a new Savage and had a few problems because of tight chamber, brought it to Figgy and he had it sorted in 30mins - he would not take a cent from me for this work carried out.

On another occasion I had a "Brainwave" to ask Figgy to replace my barrel with a new "drop-in barrel" that I got from a friend, he replaced the barrel and off I went to the range to shoot in this new barrel, first couple of shots I knew there was something wrong?? Asked Erzi to have a look and we diagnosed that the barrel had being threaded wrong in the factory and was leaning off to the left. Anyway I went back to Figgy to see if we could do anything with this barrel but not so on this occasion, he proceeded there and then to remove the offending barrel and replace the original barrel, Again he would not take any payment for this work and he said to me " I would never see a lad stuck" How many times have you heard that from other RFD's

I have since ordered a new custom barrel from Figgy and expect it in the next few weeks.

Well Figgy as usual there will be the "Begrudgers and Knockers" coming on here to slate your work, if they take the time to stand behind the 1000yrd firing line on any Sunday morning in the Midlands they will see for themselves who's rifles are consistently hitting the V's and 5's.

Good Luck in the future Figgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Hondata92

philydiver wrote: »
    if they take the time to stand behind the 1000yrd firing line on any Sunday morning in the Midlands they will see for themselves who's rifles are consistently hitting the V's and 5's.

Totally agree

The results from the nationals speak for themselves

http://www.nrai.ie//media/downloads/2012-NATIONALS-RESULTS.pdf

Not just this years, but last years, and the year before that. Not to mention the Irish squad's success abroad. Such as Bisley in November. It was either 5 or 6 of the rifles used by the Irish team were built by/worked on by Fergal, and his rifle(s) are also used by the FTR shooter ranked 8th in the Europeans.

List of builds at bottom of page.

It's not really a surprise. His rifles, and work have made up approx. 70+% of the guns on the FTR firing line (not sure of the F-Class, but i know of 5 lads using his rifles). So as said his work speaks for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Well I know, wwithout fergal's help I wouldn't of managed to start in ftr and I can think of one or two other new comers in the same boat. I had an issue in the nationals and had to pull out, that evening I got a text from fergal asking how I got on, so I told him I had a problem and he said call down tomorrow morning, I said it was a bank holiday and I didn't want to disturb him , but he insisted .
    So he took q look at the rifle, borescoped it and gave it the all clear. Then we spoke about the ammo and sorted the issue. He wouldn't take anything for his time or expertise on a bank holiday Monday and has helped me in this way a number of times.
    I for one owe him a lot for his help and I know the man would disagree with me and say it was nothing.

Fair play fergal ... What goes around comes around .... And you deserve all the praise and best wishes you're getting.

Advertisement