Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using Unlocked iPhone4 in US

• 08-05-2012 10:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭

I was going to get a second hand iPhone4 for my sister. She is going to america for the summer. My friend that lives in NY has an unlocked iPhone4 and she said that anybody she knows with an unlocked Irish iPhone 4 cannot get 3G signal, only EDGE.

Does anybody know the reason for this?

Would an unlocked US iPhone4 work in Ireland when she gets back?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

An iphone bought Irish carrier locked but later unlocked by Apple should work anywhere but I heard there is also a regional unlock so it could be an issue (but probably isn't).
    If the phone was bought unlocked from Apple it should work fine anywhere.

About the edge/3G issue, it could be something with the US carrier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

I spent a lot of last year in the US , with an unlocked iphone , sim cards are available from many carriers , AT&T , T-mobile , and so on ,

The services available from each of these vary depending on the price plan , not on the iphone.

T-mobile will sell you a sim , and will cut it down to size for you , for around $50 with so many minutes of talktime and access to their 3G network.

You will have to talk to each supplier to find out exactly what you get access to as part of the package , prices and special offers vary almost weekly !

I was mostly in Phoenix Arizona , and Portland Oregon. Something to keep in mind , most restaurants , bars and public places like malls , have free Wifi .... so for all the haggling about the best deals for 3G access , I hardly ever used it as free wi-fi was so common.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

A GSM (i.e. "Irish") iphone will only get 3G with an AT&T sim in the US.
    T-Mobiles 3G network band isnt compatible so you can only connect at edge speeds.

Advertisement