Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'd be in right trouble if I ever got a real job

• 08-05-2012 11:29am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

I've been with our company 15 years now.
    Part of the core workforce that survived the downturn as I saw many of my colleagues being let go.
    I've a good head for numbers & can normally dig out some obscure data when required, therein lies my value to the company.
    My main job is as an R&D Engineer where I found that one good idea every 2 years makes you God around here.
    So far this morning I've spent 2 hours surfing, I've also been printing handouts for the wife's business, I've caught up on friend's e-mails & bought a 2nd hand trampoline for the kids online.
    I've had 2 management queries in that time which I've been able to answer in seconds.

I remember what real work was like, I worked on building sites & 80 hours a week in bars when I was a kid.
    If I had to go back to that again I'd probably die of shock.
    Anyone else have a cushty number like me ?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Yes, I'd be screwed in a "real" job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    So far this morning I've spent 2 hours surfing

That must be a cushy job if you can turn up to work at half 11 after catching some waves for a couple of hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Just wondering has anyone ever died of maudlin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

We haven't had a good private sector bashing thread in ages!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Feeona wrote: »

Good spot, I doff my cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭I-Shot-Jr

All I have to do is bang out a few left clicks and the odd F5. For the remaining 8 hours and forty minutes I'm here I just stare at all the foreign chicks.

GREAT SUCCESS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

I know how you feel, 11 years in my job, i'm institutionalised, in here i'm the guy who can get you things but on the outside i'd be a Brooks Hatlen... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If the people upstairs ever found out I don't have a clue about what I'm doing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Feeona wrote: »

No no. This is an anomaly is his job. NO private sector workers are on the doss and are less than robotic in their efficiency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

i finished up in a job with a goverment agency,that i wont be naming.

if only the public knew what was going on.

i served in the Irish defence forces as well,im sure this is commom knowledge,but if you want to do nothing for 21 years,the military is the job for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I've been with our company 15 years now..
    R&D Engineer..
    one good idea every 2 years makes you God around here
    I don't see a problem with that.

You've presumably given them 7 or 8 good ideas... depending on the sector, the company and how good the ideas were, that could be hundreds of millions in revenue.

In fact 1 good idea can leave you sorted for life :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

you work for Aviva or one of those other insurance/actuary jobs don't ya? Sure look on the bright side, you'll be moving to sunny Mumbai some time soon. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Giz a job will ya? I can piss around with the best of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

So OP do you report to anyone? How long could you slack off before someone high up gets suspicious and asks you what you have been doing?

In all fairness though, if it came down to it, and you needed a new job, you would learn to adapt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Rabidlamb, you probably underestimate yourself. It sounds like you're the one of the main 'Go to men' in the company and as you say you only have to have one or two bright ideas every few years. But you probably earn your entire life's salary with those.

I had a job like that, nearly fourteen years and it was really cushy at the end. I barely did anything some days. I hated it though. But when redundancies came up the boss wouldn't let me go. I had to beg him. I was the one of the 'go to men'. It gets to the point where someone asks a complex question and you know the answer immediately. As they walk away happy, you're left wondering how you knew that. Once I was asking the question, no one knew. It was passed on and on. Eventually my phone rang. It was a guy in the US. He had a question and he thought of me. Maybe I knew the answer?.................

My current job could be considered cushy after all I'm here at home on Tuesday. I might only work one or two or three days a week doing something other people would actually pay big money to do. Something the boss has cottoned onto.:eek:

Just count yourself fortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Chamone MF

The Dail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Damn PS workers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

When I left college I got a job in a recruitment agency 'assisting' the manager. I literally just had to sit there eight hours a day taking phone calls and answering emails (about 3/4 in a day) writing the messages down on a note pad and giving it to the manager at the end of the day. That was it. That was all I had to do. I had my own desk and computer where I could browse the net as much as I wished or read a book, do some crochet. I was on my own in the office so I could bring friends over, hang out or eat there. It was such an amazing cushy job and I spent a year and a half doing it. Bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

I've been sitting at my desk bored out of my mind all day....,.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Funnily enough, I'm unemployed and have been on the go all day. I'll only get the chance to study for my interview tomorrow later tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I know a guy who 'worked' in a furniture warehouse in Toronto. He found an empty box and anytime the boss showed up he'd just walk by carrying the box as if he was actually doin stuff. The rest of his time was spent reading, sleeping and smoking spliffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's the knowledge economy: be able to do what's needed of you when it's needed is what you're being paid for rather than the hours you spend at your desk.

I have weeks when I spend half my days surfing boards and weeks when I'm working for 70/80 hours, skipping lunch and getting up at 4:30 in the morning. It's the nature of my job tbh and once all my work is done, the boss couldn't care less what I do during the quieter weeks. Though obviously they prefer when you find something to do on your own initiative...

Good example there actually, whilst typing this reply, I've responded to two different queries. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

I honestly wouldn't like a job like that. The monotony would suck the will to live from me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Spent most of the day checking out potential holiday destinations for 2013, already have 2012 sorted, always make sure I do enough to cover my ass though, yep it's cushy but the pay reflects that also :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Jess16 wrote: »
    I honestly wouldn't like a job like that. The monotony would suck the will to live from me

There's plenty to do only none of it involves work.
    Youtube have plenty of full films now aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

There's plenty to do only none of it involves work.
    Youtube have plenty of full films now aswell.

Great, I'd hate to think you were bored! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I used to have a job where i did pretty much nothing for most days in the week. I would just stand around chatting or go to the bookies but need to be available just in case my assistance was needed. It was great most days but when it came to days when i was very busy it was very hard to motivate myself and in general hard to motivate myself to do anything even on the slow days. It does take its toll eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

The dole is like that too but you get paid less but at least you don't have a thicko who only got his manager job due to family connections or the GAA telling you to do stuff he himself hasn't a clue about.. Come on Angela keep those cheques coming..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mapaco

cushiest job was sittin outside exams bringin tea an biscuits to the invigilator-can't remember the title. veeeery boring tho.
    before and after uni (the cushiest number of them all:P), i've had flippin back breakers :rolleyes:
    never a dull moment tho-think i'd crack up in an office.

it IS a serious talent to look busy whilst dossin tho-respect where its due:D

Advertisement