Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed Road Layout Changes - Cycle Lanes

Options
  • 08-05-2012 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hello All,

I heard briefly on East Coast FM that there are several proposed road layout changes in Greystones, including cycles lanes.

I've found plans online here: (PDF file) proposed cycle lanes and road layout / parking changes
    Wicklow Council Plans - Greystones road improvements

I see there are plans to re-model the terrible junction of Church Road / Kindlestown Road with a new roundabout. Hopefully this might prevent the issues I posted a while back with people driving up the wrong side of the road when turning right into R761.

Also a new roundabout proposed by Centra garage / New Road / Church Road junction, sadly there doesn't seem to be plans for a controlled pedestrian crossing at that junction, a shame as a zebra crossing would improve safety for adults and children walking from Redford Park / Rathdown etc into town / Centra etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

not only are they proposing cycle lanes on those streets, they're not planning on resurficing the streets or reconditioning the ramps on main street or church road.

i think the money would be better spent resurficing the mainstreet towards the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

The one that has me worried is Rathdown road - there is a bend there half way down that is dodgy at the best of times.

Surprised they did not look into compulsory land purchases along some stretches to widen it. A ramp at the top will do little to slow down the natural acceleration that this hill gives not only to bikes but to cars as well.

Either way - I welcome the cycle lanes - just hope that they are implemented in a manner that doesn't increase the risk to cyclists or pedestrians as some lanes in Dublin have, e.g. the straight stretch of road that runs along the National Acuatic center - here they implemented on-foot path cycle lanes, where cyclists have to give way to cars turning onto minor roads - not that easy when the whole route is downhill and again acceleration comes into play. Similarly at the bottom of this road the cycle lane swings out behind a bus shelter - a sure receipe for cyclist-pedestrian collision.

Here's to careful and thoughtful planning, along with safe cycling for all road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hopefully this might prevent the issues I posted a while back with people driving up the wrong side of the road when turning right into R761.

sadly there doesn't seem to be plans for a controlled pedestrian crossing at that junction, a shame as a zebra crossing would improve safety for adults and children walking from Redford Park / Rathdown etc into town / Centra etc.
    i think the money would be better spent resurficing the mainstreet towards the garage.
    I welcome the cycle lanes - just hope that they are implemented in a manner that doesn't increase the risk to cyclists or pedestrians as some lanes in Dublin have, e.g. the straight stretch of road that runs along the National Acuatic center - here they implemented on-foot path cycle lanes, where cyclists have to give way to cars turning onto minor roads - not that easy when the whole route is downhill and again acceleration comes into play. Similarly at the bottom of this road the cycle lane swings out behind a bus shelter - a sure receipe for cyclist-pedestrian collision.

As per the site notice

http://www.wicklow.ie/apps/wicklowbeta/News/Part%208%20Greystones%20cycle/Site%20Notice.doc
    Submissions and observations with respect to the proposed development dealing with the proper planning and sustainable developments of the area in which the proposed development will be situated may be made in writing to the Administrative Officer, Planning Section, Wicklow County Council on or before 20th June 2012.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

Best we get writing then! A crossing by Centra garage should certainly be on the plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

Probably right and here's another thought.

I serve on the Board of a local school. Next year, because of (government) cuts to teacher allocations we will have to fundraise for €20K to pay part of a teachers salary.
    Yet we have money for cycle lanes?
    Am I alone in thinking the Governments spending priorities are mad!?

When we send money to third world countries we send it for basics like health and education. We dont send them money for cycle lanes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

There appears to be a complete lack of commonsense in the way money has been spent so far on the short piece of cycle lane on the R761 between the entrance to Hillside/Heathervue Estates and Crowabbey. There was approx. 6 months of work going on there with several machines, workmen and Engineers. Cost must have been several thousands of Euro. Also most of the junctions in Hillside and Heathervue Estates were narrowed, Severe, yes severe ramps installed. I think it has been a woeful waste of taxpayers money. There are certainly much more important works to be carried out in the area. But will it ever change ? NO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

agree they should look at resurfacing before all this - I cycle around the town regularly and Church Rd in particular is very badly damaged and dangerous for cyclists as a result (as you have to swerve into the road to avoid the potholes).

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

I've recently picked up a road bike and have to say that the cycle lanes just aren't usable. They're fine for a mountain bike but the surface just isn't up to it for thinner tyres. I, like most cyclists, use the road beside the cycle lane. Its smooth (most of the time) and you're not starting and stopping constantly.
    The cycle lanes are covered in grit, full of bumps and constantly go up and down when they intersect driveways.
    Surely with funding needed in other critical areas at the moment its a lot cheaper and more effective to simply line the roads with a cycle lane.

I understand that the flip side to this is that its safer for kids, but I'd be quite happy to move aside on the path occasionally if I knew it was funding a teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

loyatemu wrote: »
    agree they should look at resurfacing before all this - I cycle around the town regularly and Church Rd in particular is very badly damaged and dangerous for cyclists as a result (as you have to swerve into the road to avoid the potholes).

Yes, the roads should be resurfaced where needed before any additional work is carried out.

The large puddle that forms every time it rains by the zebra crossing (Fenton Fires) on Church Road won't be doing the road much good! Come the winter that'll be a huge hole!

Whilst on the subject, the block paving along most of the high street is not in a very good state anymore.

So as a few have mentioned, it would seem there are more pressing improvements to be made. Yes cycles lanes are very very welcome, but so is a road surface and pavement free from holes!

Advertisement