Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to tri this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭joey100

Tuesday 11th December

Another double day today. Swim was a 400m warm up of mix of drills and then into main set building from 100m to 400m all in or around T pace. First 100m came in at 1.28 (fastest hundred yet), 200 in 3.15, 300 in 4.59, 400 in 5.49, 300 in 4.56, 200 in 3.16, and 100 in 1.30. Could still feel the turbo from Monday in the legs so was pleased with the times. Faded towards the end on the longer intervals, more time in the water should sort this and reckon some of it was tired legs. After this I done a 6km run at 4.45 min pace and then some interval work. Felt it at the end of these, legs were really tired. Again the run had to be on the treadmill, really don't enjoy the treadmill, so boring! Right foot was a bit sore on the top of it after the run but nothing major.

Wednesday 12th December

Trainer road session in the morning. Only an hour session with 9 intervals above FTP, this wasn't as bad as Monday at all, longer rest between the intervals and not as high power so managed to get through ok. Still enjoying the trainer road sessions, much easier to pass time on the turbo with them. Then a home circuit in the evening, 6 sets of exercises, no rests or breaks between exercises or sets. Got through this ok, no problems.

On a bad note I've noticed that the top of my right foot is a bit swollen today. It's not sore, more awkward, isn't sore to touch and isn't discoloured. Going to try taking a break from running over the next few days and see how it holds out. With some luck it will go down, annoying thing is I didn't do anything to it, just noticed it putting on my runners when they were bit tighter than usual!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

joey100 wrote: »
    Tuesday 11th December

Another double day today. Swim was a 400m warm up of mix of drills and then into main set building from 100m to 400m all in or around T pace. First 100m came in at 1.28 (fastest hundred yet), 200 in 3.15, 300 in 4.59, 400 in 5.49, 300 in 4.56, 200 in 3.16, and 100 in 1.30. Could still feel the turbo from Monday in the legs so was pleased with the times. Faded towards the end on the longer intervals, more time in the water should sort this and reckon some of it was tired legs. After this I done a 6km run at 4.45 min pace and then some interval work. Felt it at the end of these, legs were really tired. Again the run had to be on the treadmill, really don't enjoy the treadmill, so boring! Right foot was a bit sore on the top of it after the run but nothing major.

Wednesday 12th December

Trainer road session in the morning. Only an hour session with 9 intervals above FTP, this wasn't as bad as Monday at all, longer rest between the intervals and not as high power so managed to get through ok. Still enjoying the trainer road sessions, much easier to pass time on the turbo with them. Then a home circuit in the evening, 6 sets of exercises, no rests or breaks between exercises or sets. Got through this ok, no problems.

On a bad note I've noticed that the top of my right foot is a bit swollen today. It's not sore, more awkward, isn't sore to touch and isn't discoloured. Going to try taking a break from running over the next few days and see how it holds out. With some luck it will go down, annoying thing is I didn't do anything to it, just noticed it putting on my runners when they were bit tighter than usual!

Hope there is nothing serious wrong with the foot. And some very good swimming going on here too. However, that 400 time is clearly not right 1:27 pace for 400m??

Your right BTH time is a minute off alright, should be 6.49. Would love it to be 5.49 though! Yeah foot isn't too bad, from a quick internet search (as accurate as that can be) seems that it could be laces on new runners. Never use proper laces on my runners, usually swap them out for elastic laces but kept normal ones in these ones cos wont be racing in them. Going to rest it for few days and then swap the laces and see how I get on. It's not sore to touch so that seems to have ruled out anything really serious so fingers crossed it will sort it self out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Your right BTH time is a minute off alright, should be 6.49. Would love it to be 5.49 though! Yeah foot isn't too bad, from a quick internet search (as accurate as that can be) seems that it could be laces on new runners. Never use proper laces on my runners, usually swap them out for elastic laces but kept normal ones in these ones cos wont be racing in them. Going to rest it for few days and then swap the laces and see how I get on. It's not sore to touch so that seems to have ruled out anything really serious so fingers crossed it will sort it self out.

Sounds like you're tying the laces too tight? No need to tie too tight or you restrict the blood flow. Trust me, they won't come off!!

That's what it seems to say on the net alright BTH. Think I might have been doing it too, runners are already pretty tight and was probably over tightening them.

Thursday 13th December

So up nice and early for a pool session with the club this morning. These early mornings aren't getting any easier. But anyway, session started with 4 X 50m with 50's being slow, medium, fast and very fast. Then into 4 X 50m back with the same breakdown. Then it was 200m kick and board. Then into the main set, this was to be 5 X 400m. On the first 400m the first 100m was fast rest steady, 2nd 100m the 2nd hundred was fast rest steady and same for the rest. With the last 400m being as fast and then trying to maintain the pace over the full set. Three of us where told not to wear fins for this and the rest wore their fins. I was hanging onto the feet of guy in front of me for as much of it as I could, got through the 4 X 400m ok but struggled on the last 400m. Was a very tough session, probably the toughest one in the water yet. After this was 100m back to cool down.

Right now the foot is wrapped up with bit of ice on it, still no pain but this seems to be what's recommended. Have got a new set of elastic laces so they will be going on the new runners but will definitely not be running until at least Sunday. Was meant to do a 5k race as part of my first testing week so will see how the foot feels on Saturday and make a call then. Taking the rest of the day off and will concentrate on turbo and swim over next few days.

• Advertisement

Friday 14th December

Nothing! Absolutely no training today, took it off as as meant to be a run and want to rest the foot over the weekend. No home circuit either, just going to take it easy for next few days to see how the foot goes.

Saturday 15th December

Trainer Road session for hour and a half in the morning. Bit of a warm up then into 5 X 9 min intervals. The 9 mins broke into 1 min just below FTP, 2 mins above, this was done three times. This wasn't too bad, legs felt good. Think the day off training helped but think the last few turbo sessions have been done over my FTP and usually a good bit over it, this session was done below and just over it so didn't feel as bad. Legs felt good through the session and plenty left in them at the end. Saturday night was the club christmas party. Good crowd out for a meal and then some of us stayed out for drinks after. Good craic and didn't drink too much, plenty of opportunities for drinking over the next few weeks so need to spread it out over a few nights and not just get drunk every night!

Sunday 16th December

Was meant to be a long run in the morning but this was cancelled because of my foot. Swelling has gone right down and feels good but will head out tomorrow for a few kilometres to see how it feels with the new laces. Didn't want to do too much too soon and end up back where I was.
    Session today was a swim. Warm up was 10 X 50m with 15 seconds rest between and then 300m pull buoy. Then into main set of 400m to be done in 7.12 minutes, done in 6.42. Then 4 X 100 all under 1.45, came in around 1.35 for each of these. then it was 300m in 5.53, came in at 5.30, and then 3 X 100 under 1.45, again all around 1.34 for these. Then it was 200m in 3.36, came in around 3.12 for this and then 2 X 100 under 1.45, both around 1.33. Then a cool down of 200m. Tough session, even though I wasn't hungover after the night out I still just felt heavy in the water. Was a tougher swim than usual. The fella who has been copying my swim training over the last few Sundays turned up again and didn't take him long to start copying again. Strange fella!

Should be back running tomorrow and think next week is to be a testing week so looking forward to it. Will be the first testing week since I started 8 weeks ago. Have missed 4 sessions in the eight weeks, all down to my foot so feeling alot stronger than ever on the bike and swim. Think I'm a little bit off my best on the run but don't think it will take too long to get back there.

Monday 17th December

First day of easy training week, was meant to be a testing week but with no 5k races around and the club pool closed for christmas means it will be put off for now. But today was to be an FTP test in trainer road. Last time I done one of these was my first time on trainer road and I don't think I have gotten over it! FTP test was to be bit of a warm up then 5 mins hard, 5 mins rest interval and then 20 mins steady. Pushed it for the 5 mins and kept the power up, really needed the full 5 min recovery. Started out better in the 20 mins than the last time I done it and gradually built the power. Kept it fairly steady for the whole thing and gave it a bit of a push for the last twenty seconds. Was pleased with the result, I've been pushing up the FTP myself over the last few weeks but today's result was around 27 watts higher than my last test 6 weeks ago. Because I'm pretty light this is nearly half a watt per kg so really pleased with how the bike is going at the moment. Still a pretty low number overall but think my real FTP would be higher but doesn't really matter as all the trainer road workouts are based around the FTP from the test so will still push me.

Tuesday 18th December

Another early morning swim. Started out with 400m easy FC then into 4 X ( 2 lengths Kick, 2 lengths FC). Then it was into main set of 5 X 100, descending times with 15 seconds rest interval. These came in at 1.38,1.37,1.34,1.32,1.30. Then it was to be 2 X 100m at as close to fastest as I could, these came in at 1.29 and 1.28. Pleased with these fast ones, starting to get bit easier to go faster. Then it was 200m kick and then cool down of 400m. Because this is part of my easy week this was an easier swim session than usual and apart from the kicking it felt easier. Was in and out of the pool in under an hour.

Then this evening was out for my first run in nearly a week. Set of nice and slow for about 2km then it was 8 X 30 left foot taps and then 2km after this. Kept this very steady and foot felt good so stayed out for another 3.5km, pushed the pace more for this and was no problems with my foot. Have just sprayed it with deep freeze and put a compression bandage on it so should hold up ok.

Wednesday 19th December

Turbo session this evening. Only an hour and was to be done as bit of a warm up, then 8 X 4 minute intervals, 4 at 90% of FTP and 4 at 95% of FTP. Two minute recoveries in between. This was done off my new FTP that was set during the week and I could feel the difference between this and other sessions I've done. Enjoyed it though and am finding that with the trainer road the turbo sessions aren't as horrible as they used to be.
    This evening then was another home circuit, 6 sets of exercises with no breaks between exercises or sets. Felt good through this but was a bit tired at the end. Wasn't off work this morning so meant doing both sessions this evening.

Thursday 20th December

So training is done for the day already, enjoying this easy week. Usually a club swim on Thursday morning but they have stopped now until January so was down to the local pool for my session. Local pool is only 20 metres long so makes so of the stuff I have to do a bit awkward, if I'm using the kick board have do an even number of lengths so it will be at the end that I need it next time. Part of the reason too for some of the strange distances I swam today. Started with 4 X (120m FC, 120m kick board, 120m Catch up drill). Then into 12 X 60m off 75 seconds, first six of these were around 57 seconds, and second six around 55 seconds. Then it was 3 X (140m, 100m, 40m), with around 15 second rest intervals between them. Then to cool down 200m slow swim. Altogether comes to around 3200m and from what I can remember my longest distance covered in a swim session. Found it ok, warm up was tough but enjoyed the rest of the session. Will miss the 50m pool the next few weeks, and will have to work to push myself as hard in my own training as I would in the club sessions but it's nice to not have to drive too far in the mornings.

• Advertisement

Friday 21st December

Handy day today, only had to do a home circuit. Was like day off, only takes half an hour and don't have to leave the house. Same as usual 6 reps with no breaks between exercises or sets.

Saturday 22nd December

Headed out for a long cycle with one of the lads from the club. Met up in Lucan and headed out towards Sally gap. Took it fairly handy on the pace but couldn't keep up once the climb towards Sallys gap started, just pulled away and looked like he wasn't even working! Was easier than the last time I done it, mainly I think though because I knew when to push it more and when to hold it back. Took it fairly handy coming back, still bit nervous on some of the down hills but getting faster. Altogether 92km done and feel ok after, probably should have ate a bit more on the cycle but legs feel good. Rest of day is off now to rest.

Sunday 23rd December

Long run today. Decided I'd go back to my old runners and see how the ankle would hold up wearing them. Set off at a steady pace, legs were bit stiff after the long cycle the day before. Tried to go more on feel than using the watch and managed to keep the kilometres under 5 mins fairly handy. ankle held up grand, no pain or soreness at all in it. Covered 18.5km in 90 mins and although legs were tired at the end wasn't too bad. No more training today so will just take it easy.

Not a great week for training! And nothing to do with alcohol either, haven't been well all week and has meant I've missed a few days but should be back to normal now, all set to get back into it now. Must have been one of only people who have lost weight over christmas, down to around 63KG now so not all bad!

Monday 24th December

Turbo session. One hour with power ramping up to between 120% and 150% of my FTP. These were short enough intervals with short enough recoveries and looking back I probably found the session a lot tougher than it should have been! Probably a sign of what was to come the rest of the week.
    Was also a home circuit day today, pace kept high and no breaks between sets or exercises.

Tuesday 25th December

Run session today, 3km warm up then into 8 X 30 second intervals and then a 2km cool down. Handy enough session and felt pretty good throughout it.

Wednesday 26th December and Thursday 27th December

Missed days. Just wasn't feeling well enough to do anything. Felt drained and had no power or energy at all.

Friday 28th December

Another home circuit, a lot tougher than usual even though there was less circuits than usual. Evening then was a slow run, covered about 8km and it definitely was slow. Was very windy and at times it felt as tho as I was walking it was that bad.
    Tried the missed turbo session when I get home and got twenty mins into it and had to stop. Legs just couldn't go on, first session on turbo I've had to stop but was nothing I could do.

Saturday 29th December

Another missed day, was meant to be a turbo session but after what happened on Friday night I decided against it. Third missed day of the week.

Sunday 30th December

Felt much better today, so headed out on an early run. Was to be my long run so took it fairly handy. Felt slower than usual but still not one hundred per cent, just glad that I could get out training though. Covered around 14km in 75 mins so pretty slow.

Evening session was a long swim session. Wasn't sure how I would handle two sessions in one day but was surprisingly good. Session started with 320m FC, 400m FC with Pull buoy, 320m FC and then 400m kick. This was the toughest part of the session, especially the kicking. Then into main set of 10 X 100m off 2mins, then a 2min break, then into another 10 X 100m off 2mins. Enjoyed this session and kept the time in and around 1.40 so wasn't too bad. Then there was a 300m cool down. Covered 3740m in the session and felt much better afterwards. Nearly back to normal now, should be good to go back training properly from tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭DK man

New to triathlon and thought I would start a training thread here in the hope it will motivate me to train more!

First off apologies about the silly thread title! Couldnt really think of anything!

Bit of a background on me, Kayaked from the age of 8, won a few competitions but after a few nasty injuries to friends and near misses have nearly completely given it up. Only time I kayak now is when I am teaching beginners which is not often. As well as this played a lot of soccer, played at college level and was alright but a little small for it!

Around a year ago I decided I needed something to keep me busy in the evenings, few friends had done triathlons so decided I would give it a go. Began training by myself and got up a relatively ok level of fitness. Done one or two small races last year and realy enjoyed them. Trained a bit more and could see improvements so decided I would start some proper training.

This will be my first proper season in triathlon and will be more about seeing what I need to work on, dont think I will ever be the fastest but like to push myself.

Joined activ multisport at the start of the year and having been doing a bit of training with them, but prob not as much as I should be! Went to the beginners training day over the weekend and was very pleased with my times and this has motivated me to train even more.

Brief over view of my training is at least 2 swim sessions a week, at least 3 run sessions and at least 3 bike sessions. This does not always work out but I've started cycling to and from work, approx 22k each way, and have recently bought a turbo trainer so the bike is coming along.

Saturday
    Activ Multisport beginners day. 750 timed swim in the aquatic centre (approx 16 mins) think I could get this down as I got caught behind a few slower swimmers a few times. After this was a group 20k cycle, started off with the second group but at the half way point decided to go by myself and try catch the first group. Caught a few of them, was glad I went by myself, gave me a chance to push the bike. Then was a timed 5 k run, distance was a bit shorter than 5k, around 4.8k. Managed a 19.35 for this and was very pleased with it, even though I felt after that I could have started pushing early than I did.

SUNDAY

Went for first open water swim session, went out to Seapoint to try out my new 2XU wetsuit, done about 800m in the water and felt good even though it was freezing and the water was very choppy. Took it easy for rest of day as legs were tired after Saturdays sessions.

Monday

Went for a run in the local park. Done 800m warm up followed by 10 X 200m intervals with 100M break between sets. My uncle who is an athletic coach recommended this to me to improve my speed so will give it a go to see how it goes.
    After this practised leaving the shoes on the bike and pushing off from a running start. Never done this before, and took a few goes and whacks to the shins but got it. Then worked on taking feet out of shoes while moving and dismounting while the bike is moving. Really glad I practised this as it was not as scary as it looked when I seen other people doing it!

A long first post but hopefully it will keep me motivated to keep the training up and not take too many rest days!

Kayaking dangerous? I too kayak and also do a small bit of tri and to be honest I find cycling much more hairy than kayaking... Rivers are graded so there is some predictability but pot holes, dogs, wet road with loose stones and cars pulling out of drives or side roads etc... When I kayak I do so in a group and we are all safety trained and we work as a team on a river I also wear a padded BA and really solid helmet.. no bare legs and lite shell helmet like the bike....

Best of luck with the tri... I enjoy both but would prefer boat!!!!:)

Monday 31st December

Was hoping to get back into proper training today and started the day well with my home circuit. 5 reps, not breaks between exercises or sets. Felt ok through this, not great but not too bad either.

Then in afternoon got all set up for my turbo session that was to an hour and a half long. This session was a warm up then into 5 X 10 min intervals all pretty much at FTP. First one of these wasn't too bad and got through most of the second ok but knew that I would be suffering for the third, legs were just dead again. Got through over half of the third one but again had to stop. Just couldn't keep the power up so just peddled through the rest of the interval and the rest interval to get me up to the hour. Another turbo session not completed, will give Wednesday's session a go but if I struggle too much I'll have to think about lowering the FTP for now.

Tuesday 1st January

Woke up nice and not hungover so headed out for a spin on the bike with the gf. Nothing strenuous and not down as a session to do but covered about 25km on the bike and felt good. Still not feeling as strong as I have on the bike and was nice to be outside. Part of me is bit happy that I didn't feel as strong on the bike as I had started to think that the FTP might have been set too high. Hopefully this means I'm still just getting fully over being sick.

This evening then was a run session. 5km warm up done at around 4.45min kilometres and then into 8 X 30 left foot taps. These weren't too bad and the time it is taking me to do them is getting lower and the distance covered is getting bigger. Then it was a 1.5km cool down, done very slow. Altogether done around 8km and legs feel grand. Not a bother on the ankle either which is always a good sign.

Wednesday 2nd January

Started the day off with a turbo session. Lowered the FTP on trainer road by 3 to see if it would make it any easier to complete the session. Session was to be a short warm up and then 3 X 12 min intervals pretty much between 95 - 100% of FTP. First session I have finished in a while and glad I got through it. Second time I have done this session and remembered it was tough from the last time so glad to get through it. Heart rate a bit higher than usual but not as high as it has been and quicker to return to normal.

Evening session was a home circuit. 5 sets of exercises with no breaks between exercises or sets. Felt grand through this. No real issues.

Thursday 3rd January

So up early and trying to get back into a routine before back to work on Monday. Was to be a swim this morning, building from 100m to 500m and back to 100m all below t pace. During my warm up I was told by a more mature lady in the lane beside me that I shouldn't be in that pool because I was splashing too much! Don't know if I was disturbing her power walking in the water or if she was giving me some constructive criticism but she wasn't happy, but just put my head down and carried on. Done a warm up then into main set 100m at 1.39, 200m at 3.28, 300m at 5.09, 400m at 6.43, 500m at 8.32, 400m at 6.54, 300m at 5.05, 200 at 3.25 and 100m at 1.38. Then a cool down of approx 200m. Shoulders were tired at the end and was feeling it for the last few sets but enjoyed the swim. Tried to push myself a bit more than usual, Thursday morning would normally be club swim, so wanted to try recreate that as best I could.

This evening then was a run, approx 7.5km done steady. No problems at all with ankle, completely sorted now. Legs felt good and starting to feel back to normal after christmas. Was good to see lots of other people out running too, lots of new year resolutions I think but hopefully they keep it up, makes the run a bit more socialable (I think that's a word!).

Friday 4th January

Recovery day today so nothing too hectic. 8.5km run done at a slow and steady pace. Pleased with how the running has been progressing the last few weeks, had been worried I might have been losing speed but don't think that's happening. Felt grand through this and am enjoying the warm winter! This evening then was a home circuit, only 5 reps tonight so not too bad at all. No breaks between exercises or sets and pace kept up high. Seem to be fully over my sickness and ankle is grand so looks like I should be back to normal now.

Have been thinking about the Naas duathlons, will speak to my coach and see what he thinks but could be a good marker early in the season to see where I am. Never done a duathlon before so be good to get race in early in the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

This evening then was a run session. 5km warm up done at around 4.45min kilometres and then into 8 X 30 left foot taps. These weren't too bad and the time it is taking me to do them is getting lower and the distance covered is getting bigger.

Sorry but what are foot taps?

The left foot taps are just the left foot hitting the ground. Doing thirty left foot taps between 16-18 seconds. Cover around 100m in the time, can vary but think it's to work on my cadence, and try to speed up the legs.

Saturday 5th January

Up early for a club cycle with Lucan cycling club. Girlf is joining the club so asked me to go along with her for the beginner spin. Pace was kept in around 25kmph and covered around 42km. Not a bother on her, once she got stuck into the pack she was grand. After this me and three of the other lads with the group stayed out for a bit and done another 43km at around 33kmph pace. This was all around the Maynooth/Clane area and out towards Batterstown. Lovely day for a cycle and legs feeling good now.

• Advertisement

Sunday 6th January

Long run to start the day. Plan was to do 18km in 90 mins so around 5 min kilometres. Set off a bit faster than I usually would and seemed to find a nice rhythm pretty quick. Legs felt good and kept the pace steady into the wind and up a few drags. Ended up covering 19km in 88 mins so good bit faster than what was planned. Legs felt grand after and didn't feel like the run was particularly tough. Good to see the run moving in the right direction.

This evening then was a swim session. Was to be a long one and wasn't feeling great in the water, think this could be to do with me only being in the water twice each week over christmas rather than the usual three times but that will go back to normal this week. Session started with 200m FC, 200m kick, 200m Pull buoy, 120m Fc, 120m Kick, 120m Pullbuoy. then into the main section that was 6 x 60m, 2 X 160m with a Negative split, so getting faster through the distance, then 6 X 80m, 320m Negative split, 6 X 60m, and 3 X 100m. These were all done to times based off my T pace of 1.45 per 100m. Then a cool down of 200m. Shoulders were tired at the end but breathing felt good so that was encouraging. The strange distances are becuase I swim in a 20m pool rather than a 25m, so rounded all the distances up. Altogether covered around 3300m and another good swim session done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

asked me to go along with her for the beginner spin. Pace was kept in around 25kmph and covered around 42km. Not a bother on her, once she got stuck into the pack she was grand. After this me and three of the other lads with the group stayed out for a bit and done another 43km at around 33kmph pace. This was all around the Maynooth/Clane area and out towards Batterstown. Lovely day for a cycle and legs feeling good now.

I thought you might have been bored. Wife said it was slow even for her but she wasn't up for another 30km+. With the new sportive group the intermediates have got a bit faster. A few of the regulars were off the back and struggling with only 25km or so done. Tough day but you'll enjoy when the girlf let's you move up :)

Monday 7th January

First turbo session of the week. Was to be an hour and a half and was looking forward to it, was starting to feel back to normal on the bike over the weekend. Session was to be a warm up and then 12 X 3 min intervals grouped in 3's all above FTP with each three getting higher. 2 minutes rest between the intervals. Legs were tired but was moving along ok, until the 7th interval when I just couldn't finish it. Didn't want to finish another turbo session early so changed the last few intervals to around 1min on, 1 min off and 1 min on. Got through them ok once they were changed but legs were gone by the end. No power left in them.

Bit of a break, took it easy and then into home circuit. No rests between sets or exercises, this was a lot tougher than normal, especially the squats but got through them. Did struggle more than normal though.

Tuesday 8th January

Back into my early swim sessions. Got to the pool for twenty past six and I've never seen so many people waiting to go in. Place was packed but lucky for me I was the only one in the pool. Was going to be a long session today, started with 320m FC, 200m kick, 120m FC.More of a warm up with 16 X 20m steady. Then into 4 X 320m steady with 2 X 80m fast at the end of each interval.. Then it was 200m easy, 400m steady, 200m easy. And then 120m breast stroke to finish off. Shoulders were very tired at the end and legs were sore from kicking but on a plus my breathing felt ok, didn't particularly feel out of breath. Done around 3700m this morning, longest swim session yet, and really felt like it!

This evening then was a short enough run. 5Km warm up then into 8 X 30 left foot taps, and then a 2km cool down run home. The 8 intervals felt ok, definitely alot easier to do them before and with a fair bit less effort for the same speed. Covered around 8.3km overall.

Have signed up for the Naas duathlon on Sunday 20th. Will be my first duathlon and should give me some idea of how my training is going. If the weather stays as mild I'll be looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Might see you at the club cycle Sat morn Joe, hoping to meet up with the beginner group. Thanks again

I'll keep an eye out for you Banner, I'll be on the shiny white bike!

Wednesday 9th January

So today was to be another turbo session. Only an hour and would be a short warm up then into 9 X 2 min intervals at around 120%of FTP that sloped off for the second minute. Legs felt an awful lot better than they had on Monday when I got on the bike. Found these intervals to be fairly ok, was able to keep the power steady for the full two minutes and didn't really need to let it slope off. Has me thinking that I might be better off doing the harder longer turbo on Wednesday after my legs ahve recovered a bit after the weekend but we will see. I've set up the second hand TT bike on the turbo and have been using that for the last two sessions, need to get a proper saddle becuase surprisingly enough carbon saddles are not comfortable. Other than that it's been great but will only see the real benefit when I start using the TT bike outside and don't have to take it down off the turbo every week.

After this was another home circuit, pace kept up and no breaks between exercises or sets. 6 sets of exercises done.

Thursday 10th January

First club swim session after the christmas break and was wondering how I woould get in, had kept the swimming going over the christams but not as much as before hand. Started with 200m FC, 200 kick, 200m pull, 100m FC, 100m kick, 100m pull. Then into the main set of 6 X 50m at race pace and then 150m steady. Then the same again so another 6 X 50m and 150m. Then it was 4 X 100m at race pace. With 200m steady after that, then a cool down of 100m back stroke and 100m breast stoke (that I can't really do, so done very very slow FC!). Think that was the session so over 2500m done and felt ok after it, the longer distance sessions I had been doing over the christmas had kept me ticking over and feel stronger in the water than before christmas. One thing I've really noticed from the club swim sessions is that now I have more than one swim speed. I used to just swim, no slow or fast just one speed. Better able to control my speed now and can vary my speed much easier.

Plan is for a run tonight so hopefully the rain holds off, on other news I got my new TT helmet today, a nice bell javelin. I can see why I held off buying one now, they look mental!

Thursday 10th January

Evening session was to be a run and I managed to miss the rain so had no excuses not to head out. Session was to be an hour steady run so set of at a nice easy pace, covered 12km in 58mins, not fast but more miles in the legs. Looking forward to easy recovery day tomorrow, still have run and home circuit but not fast ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

I'll keep an eye out for you Banner, I'll be on the shiny white bike!

Plan is for a run tonight so hopefully the rain holds off, on other news I got my new TT helmet today, a nice bell javelin. I can see why I held off buying one now, they look mental!

Is the new TT helmet getting an outing on Sat also :eek::D

Banner, not sure how welcome the helmet would be on the club spin, they are already a bit dubious of triathletes!

Friday 11th January

Easy recovery day. 10.5km done in 1hour so at a very handy pace. Was hard to try and keep it slow, but enjoyed it and the legs feel grand after, never thought I would get to a place where 10km felt like nothing! Home circuit in the evening and nothing much to say, pace kept up and no breaks between exercises or sets, 6 sets.

Saturday 12th January

Out with Lucan cycling club for a spin. Headed out with the intermediate group and found the pace ok. Was a long spin taking in stops and the time at the shop before we head out but covered 115km at average speed around 31/32kmph. Legs felt grand and enjoyed the time at the front trying to push the pace a bit. Was surprised with few of the hills around Kildare too, always thought it was a flat county. Last weekend the inter group had 9 punctures and a broken elbow, today only 1 puncture, 1 broken chain, 1 broken rear derailleur and 1 fall. Not too bad compared to the previous week. Couerdelion even managed not to be involved in any of them too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

. Last weekend the inter group had 9 punctures and a broken elbow, today only 1 puncture, 1 broken chain, 1 broken rear derailleur and 1 fall. Not too bad compared to the previous week. Couerdelion even managed not to be involved in any of them too!

Ha that's gas. I thought our club spin was bad last week with 2 punctures, 1 pedal falling off and 1 fall :)

Advertisement