Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to tri this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭joey100

Luckily for me I wasn't out with the group that day but when we got the puncture a lot of people where starting to look worried about it all happening again.

Sunday 13th January

Was meant to be up early for a long run but wasn't heading out in the rain and cold, rain that soon turned to snow. Stayed in and watched tv instead. Headed to the gym in the evening and spent the longest hour and a half of my life on the treadmill to cover the 18km that was down for today. Time just goes so slow on the thing. Try not to use them as much as I can but handy when the weather is like it was today. After this was down to the pool for the usual Sunday swim session. Started with an 800m FC with pull buoy, then into 3 X 320m with each one getting faster, then 200m kick, 3 X 200m again each one getting faster, 200m kick, 3 X 120m getting faster, then 120m cool down. Altogether covered 3240m and could really feel it in my shoulders. Last 120m fast was tough and was a bit messy. Session was one to build my endurance so I suppose that tired shoulders was the point of it!

Will be one or two changes to the training this week to fit in the Naas duathlon next Sunday. First race of the season and first race since I've upped the training so looking forward to it. Will be first race on the TT bike too so will need to get out on it at least once during the week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

joey100 wrote: »
    Saturday 12th January

Last weekend the inter group had 9 punctures and a broken elbow, today only 1 puncture, 1 broken chain, 1 broken rear derailleur and 1 fall. Not too bad compared to the previous week. Couerdelion even managed not to be involved in any of them too!

It was probably only because I was hanging on to the back of the group that I wasn't involved! You were looking pretty strong on the climbs - especially when you were telling me to push harder as I'd maxed out my HR and was was going backwards, but I'm putting that down to me being on my 'winter' bike with mudguards and heavy wheels. (Nothing to do with the heavy rider).

Ah I thought you looked like you could do with some encouragement! Didn't realise that there was a few more hills left to do, worse ones too. Would have saved a bit of myself of that hill then.

Monday 14th January

This week is to be my easy week/testing week. Good timing too with the race on Sunday, just hope it goes ahead because weather forecast is not looking too good for it. Today was to be an hour turbo session, got this session over the weekend and didn't look too bad, power looked low and short enough at one hour. Didn't realise though until I was on the turbo that the reason the power looked low was because there was a lot of one leg drills. While since I have done these and were ok to start with but after 5 mins got bit tired. Few short sprints and 2 X 6 mins sustained efforts. Able to hold these above the called for power so should be ok for Wednesday's FTP test. Not especially looking forward to it but any improvement will be good. Other session this evening was home circuit, no breaks between exercises or sets but only 4 sets this week because it's an easy week.

Tuesday 15th January

Usual early morning Tuesday pool session. Was freezing out but pool was nice and warm for once. Started with 400m FC (done in 6.35, reckon I could go bit faster than this with a warm up but pretty happy with it). Then into 4 X (40m kick, 40m FC). Then into main set of 6 X 120m descending times and then 3 X 120m done at same pace as last one of 6. The fast ones came in at around 1.51 for 120m. Then a 200m cool down. Didn't feel great in the pool today, felt a bit tired and heavy. Hopefully with it being an easy week I'll get bit of rest as it goes on.

This evening was a run session. Was meant to be a warm up then into 8 X 30 left foot taps and then cool down. Got stuck bit late in work so meant by time I got home paths had already started to Ice over. Headed out anyway and covered 7.5km but couldn't do the left foot taps, was bit slippy to be pushing it. Legs felt ok, again a bit heavy. Not looking forward to FTP test tomorrow, last one I done I was feeling strong and fresh coming up to it, not so much with this one! Aiming for a bit of an improvement but right now I would take it staying the same, just don't want it to drop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Nice time on the 400m- whats your TT time for it, or do you test that distance?

• Advertisement

Cheers Kurt, haven't done one over 400m but don't think if I did it would be a whole lot faster, maybe 5-7 seconds. Done in a 20m pool too so plenty of turns to catch a breath. Last TT I done was at the start of the club swim sessions, not sure how long ago but around November I think, was over 800m ( in 50m pool) and came in at 13.45. Would hope to try get that as close to 13.00 mins as I can before the season starts but realistically probably wont go that low.

Wednesday 16th January

So today was to be the FTP test that I have been dreading since I seen it on my training sheets. Was also to be a home circuit today so got up early before work and done it then today to get it out of the way. 4 sets of exercises with no breaks with rests between them, felt grand through these. Had made sure to get to bed early the night before so I'd be as rested as I could doing the test.

This evening then was the test. Ate late lunch in work so I could just go straight home and get it done. Straight onto the bike and the legs felt ok, not great but not as tired as they did on Monday, done the bit of the warm up which had 3 X 1 min above existing FTP intervals and then the 5 mins flat out. The legs actually felt stronger as this went on. Made the most of the break and then into the 20 min effort. First ten mins went ok, felt strong enough and was keeping a nice cadence but once ten mins passed I started to feel it. Think it was more mental than physical though, when I looked back at the session afterwards the power was pretty much the same through the whole effort even though it felt a whole lot harder on the bike around the ten minutes. The last five mins where tough but at the same time knew I only had 5 mins left. One thing I noticed though is that when I started my training my heart rate would get to around mid 150's and it would feel like it was bursting out of my chest, today for the second half of the twenty min effort it was in the 170's.

Anyway after all of that my power was up, not by a huge amount but still in the right direction. This is my third FTP test since I started on trainer road and when I looked back at my first test today's power is nearly 33% more than it was then (about 3 months ago). Definitely moving in the right direction and hope to keep it moving in that direction getting closer and closer until the start of the season.

Thursday 17th January

Only one session today and that was a nice early morning club swim. Legs felt good, spent a bit of time foam rolling and stretching them last night in the hope they would be ok for today. Can't remember the distances in the session at all, but do remember a 400m TT in the middle of it. Came in at 6.20 for this and definitely a few seconds that could be easily made up, I slipped on two turns on the wall. Pretty pleased with the time, faster than my TT in a 20m pool (this was 50m pool), done the day after my FTP test on the bike. The first 100m came in at 1.27, my fastest 100m time from what I can remember. Rest of the session was ok but the last part was 4 X 50m sprints in reverse order of our times for TT. This meant in my lane I was starting last and had to try catch the others before the end. These were tough but enjoyable, the last one was really tough, legs felt like they had nothing left in them. Not sure of distance covered in the session but think it was around 2500m. Rest of evening now just to relax and rest the legs.

Friday 18th January

Rest day so only a home circuit. 4 Reps and no breaks between exercises or sets. Bit of foam rolling and stretching to rest the legs for Sunday too.

Saturday 19th January

Wasn't going out for a club cycle today. When I got my new road bike I gave my dad my old road bike. Hoped it would give him something to do. Didn't use it much at the start but since christmas he has been out for a good bit so he came out to me today for a spin. Original plan was to head to Wicklow direction and do some steady hills but plan changed with the weather so we just stayed around Maynooth Clane area. Pace was steady enough around 27/28 kmph and we covered around 50km. Legs felt good through it and weather wasn't even too bad until we got about 10km from home when there was a bit of sleet. But overall an enjoyable cycle and nice to go out at a steady pace.

Just taking it easy now for the race tomorrow. Know people say you should never do something for the first time at a race but will be first proper time on new TT bike outside, first time I wear my TT helmet and first time I race in the Activ Multisport lovely colours. Looing forward to the race now, will be wrapped up warm and probably look a bit like the michelin man but tomorrow is more about seeing how the winter training went and how I'm set for the build up to the season. Coach seems to think under an hour is possible but aiming more for under 1hr 7min myself, think the run could possibly slow me down but we will see tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Have been following your progress for a while now, and you seem to be in great shape, with some great improvement,

Best of luck tomorrow

• Advertisement

Sunday 20th January

So today was the day for my first race of the season, time to see if all my training has paid off. Got down to punchestown nice and early and was well wrapped up for the wait around until the race started. Checked the bike in the car park and everything was grand, felt faster than my road bike and bit twitchier but good and comfortable. Got a nice spot in transition and set up my stuff, so much easier to set up for duathlon than triathlon, only left helmet there and bike shoes and it was grand. Had a chat with few people while I waited and met one or two of the lads from Thursday morning swimming. Got changed close to the race and got a good warm up in, probably my best warm up before a race ever and felt good for the race start.

First up was a 3.5km run, was to be a mass start so 263 people all going at once so got up the front, didn't want to get caught behind lots of people. The run was my big unknown coming into this race. My mileage has been much higher this season but haven't done much fast stuff over the last while. Plan was to run on feel and not base myself around a set speed. Set off well and got into my stride fairly quick, found myself over taking a lot of people and legs were feeling great, passed the 1st kilometre in 3.35 and was surprised at how good I was feeling, second one passed at 3.49, pulled it back a bit on this one, wanted to keep something for the run at the end, 3rd kilometre passed at 3.51. Run course was a bit short I think (around 3.2km) and came into transition around 12 minutes. Was told by one of the marshalls I was top ten but think I might have been a bit further back. By far my fastest 3km time ever and legs were feeling good for bike. Got through transition ok, bit of fumbling with helmet clasp because of my gloves but got through quick enough. This is when the race fell apart, my back wheel just seized on the bike, wouldn't move. Got off, undone the quick release, tried to move it around, got it spinning again but once I got back on it seized again. This happened about 4/5 times and I covered around 100m. By this stage I knew that the race was over. I wheeled my bike back to transition, had to carry the back because the wheel just would not move. Down to the lads in base to race who sorted it but by then the race was really over. Not sure what caused it, they reckon the skewer might have been loose but not sure about that.

So anyway, race over and a DNF. But have to take the positives from it. The run was really good, very pleased with where it is and still have months to go before the start of the season. Good that it happened in this race too, not in one of my NS races. Was annoyed with the bike, I think since I've started training that my biggest improvements have been on the bike, would have been nice to get out and see what speed I could hold in a race.

Back to regular training now and have one eye on the last Naas duathlon to try go back and finish the course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Good attitude. Only a training race, so no big loss. Get em next time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

That's harsh, but like you say better now than later. Good running up to that point. You'll kill it the next time.

A similar bike malfunction gave me a DNF in my first duo last year, it ended up being a good mechanic lesson. Better now than in a goal race, as you say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Tough luck there, but these things happen from time to time,
    Makes you look forward to the next one to make up fro it, and at least you won't have to wait to long,

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Ah gutted for you Joe. Take confidence from the run and bring it into the next race. I was there today too and had a look around for the club colours but couldn't spot you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Pain in the ass but no major deal this early in the year - must try and get my TT bike out the day before for my race on Sunday to make sure things are are all ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

So sorry for your uncooperative bike, but if it had to happen, I'm glad it was today. Best to you next time. :)

Thanks for the replies folks, it's the day after and don't feel too bad about the race. Feel like training is going well and know that the same thing won't happen again, will be better prepared in future races.

Monday 21st January

Back to working Monday evenings so meant I could do my turbo in the morning. Nice way to start the day, 1 hour turbo session with 14 ramps in it ramping from 120% to 150% of FTP. Really felt the last two of these, but pleased with the power I'm putting out. Bit short of breath at the end and heart was pounding but didn't last too long. This evening then was a home circuit, 5 reps of exercises, no breaks between sets or exercises. Feeling good and pleased to be back into a training week after the testing week, just get my head down and back into training.

Tuesday 22nd January

Up early for now regular Tuesday early morning swim. Pool was bit busy at the start which meant warm up took longer than planned and was done in bits and pieces rather than straight through, but made up for it at the end by adding on a few lengths.

Swim set was 400m FC, 200m Kick, 400m, Pull. Then into 100m steady, 60m building through it, 120m Steady (x4). Then after this was 520m Steady and the next 520m done faster pace. Then it was 320m cool down. After this I done around another 280m mainly concentrating on form and pulling right back to my hip. Altogether done 3760m and felt ok at the end, bit of tiredness in the shoulders at the end but nothing major.

This evening then was straight out after I got home from work for my run. 5km warm up then into 10 X 30 left foot taps and then a 1.5km cool down for a total of 8.8km. Legs felt good through it and pace was usually around 5 min kilometres for this but tonight was around 4.50 and felt good. Plenty left in the legs at the end and managed to get in before it started to ice over.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 23rd January

Hour and a half turbos have been swapped from Mondays to Wednesdays to try give me a better chance of completing the full session and recovering fully from the weekend sessions. Today's session was to be 3 X 8 min intervals at between 90%-95% of FTP and around 45 mins at about 80% of FTP. Enjoyed this session, alot of the stuff recently had been short efforts above FTP so this was a nice break. Session went well and was well able to complete it, first full hour and a half session for a while. This evening then was a home circuit, 5 reps with no breaks between exercises or sets. Pace kept up and felt good through it.

Thursday 24th January

Up early for club swim. Can't really remember all the set but started with 50m FC, 50m Back, 200m Pull with legs crossed. Then it was into main set of 4 X (4X50), in first group 1 fast 3 slow, then 2 slow 2 fast, then 1 slow 3 fast then 4 fast. 15 seconds between each length and 100m choice between each set. Another set was 8 X 50m pull with legs crossed. Was a few other sets in there but can't really remember them. Session went well though, arms felt good, struggled at the 40 X 50m fast but only on the last 2.

This evening then was another run session. 5.2km warm up then into 10 X 30 left foot taps, then into 2.5km cool down. Altogether around 9.5km done and legs felt grand through out. Times were coming in around 17/18 seconds for the foot taps, this was a fast but steady pace, I pushed it for the final one and came in around 15 so plenty left in the legs after it. Lovely evening for a run, not too cold and dry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

joey100 wrote: »
    struggled at the 40 X 50m fast

:eek:

Glad I didn't come along - I tell you, he's no imagination with his training that South African bloke :D

Was a reappearance of the crossed legs drills too, but with pull buoy so wasn't as bad! Hope your club kit is all clean for the open day on Saturday.:)

Friday 25th January

Recovery day today so home circuit in the evening. 5 reps, no breaks between exercises or sets. Not too bad, plenty left after.

Evening then was into the gym to use the treadmill. Really hate the thing but lashing rain out so no choice. 60 mins done and covered 11km without pushing too hard even though it always feels tougher on the thing!

Saturday 26th January

Up and out to the NAC early to help out with club open day. Few people left their details so hopefully we get few new members out of it. Good to catch up with others from the club too. After this was 2 hours on the turbo at 60-70% of FTP, more boring than anything. Got through it grand, plenty left in the legs at the end but think I need a new saddle for the TT bike on the turbo. Not the most comfortable one on it at the moment.

Sunday 27th January

Absolutely nothing! First missed day in a while, jut wasn't feeling great and had no energy at all. Hate missing days, training has been going well and I've been enjoying it but nothing done today.

Monday 28th January

Back into the swing of it today, what ever was wrong on Sunday was grand today. No bothers at all. Turbo session was to be combined trainer road and sufferfest. First time doing a sufferfest and they lived up to the name! Hell hath no fury, 2 X 20 min intervals and a 3min TT effort at the end. This was set to 85% on trainer road. Enjoyed the session, was never doing anything for too long. Plenty of variation and was able to keep the power were I wanted to for the full thing. Looking forward to doing some more of these sessions, fair play to anyone doing the tour of sufferlandia! Not sure I could do all of them day after day.

This evening then was home circuit, 6 reps, no breaks between exercises or sets. Not as comfortable as usual but still ok.

Yeah the sufferfest are very good all right, but they have a very skewed view when it comes to counting down reps. "Last rep" can mean several things;)

Tuesday 29th January

Up early for my Tuesday morning swim. Started off with 200m FC, 120m concentrating on distance per stroke, 200m FC then another 120m distance per stroke.

Main set was 2 X (320m tpace +5seconds, then 3 X 120m at t pace). These all came in below the times but I wasn't as comfortable as I have been the last while in the pool. Felt like I was splashing around a bit, not as smooth as usual. Then into 16 X 60m with the odd sets being easy and even sets being fast. It wasn't until about half way through this that i started to feel comfortable again in the water. Cool down of 200 easy, for a total of just under 3.2Km.

This evening then was a run session. 5km warm up then into 12 X 30 left foot taps with a 1.5km cool for a total of around 8.8Km. Legs felt grand through it, bit windy out. Made for some nice running into a headwind. Bit of foam rolling and stretching before bed and another good day of training done.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 30th January

Another turbo session today. Was to be hour and a half session with 3 X 20 minute intervals in this. Got through the first one ok after the warm up but during the second one it all fell apart. Heart rate shot up and couldn't get it back down, legs started to cramp and started seeing stars. Pulled it right back for a few minutes and then gave it another go but had same effect. Finished the second one but not near the power I should have put out. Didn't even attempt the last one and called it a day after doing an hour on the turbo. Another unfinished turbo session and even though the bike has seen good improvements it's annoying me when I can't finish these sessions. Evening session then was a home circuit, 6 reps, pace kept high and no breaks.

Thursday 31st January

Club swim session. Warm up of 16 X 25m with every fourth one being fast. These were done in a 50m pool so meant stopping half way down and sculling for 5 seconds to split it into 25m. Main set was 500m Moderate, 100m Fast, 400m Moderate, 100m fast, 300m moderate, 100m fast, 200m moderate, 100m fast 100m moderate. This went really well, felt much better in the water than Tuesday morning and my moderate pace seems to have really improved. Found the 100's tough enough but recovered well during the moderate efforts. After this was a timed 100m, coming in at 1.24, happy with this after the main set. Then it was 200m back and 100m front crawl easy. 2700m covered and felt pretty good at the end too, legs bit tired but shoulders felt ok.

Evening session was a run, 5km warm up. Then into 12 X 30 left foot taps with 1.8km cool down. Covered around 9.2 km in total. Legs felt good through out, pace a bit down with a big head wind but legs felt good. Nice recovery day tomorrow to look forward to now.

Advertisement