Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Players to watch

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

irishmover wrote: »
    Adam Smith is 22...

Maybe the player has to be 21 at the start of the 12/13 season? Thus, eligible for the U-21s. I'm clutching at straws, it's not my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

irishmover wrote: »
    Adam Smith is 22...
    Those quotes were taken directly from the article though I remember reading them as well so we should assume that the three mentioned aren't on the List.

However everyone knows Carroll so he must be number one if Pritchard is third but who's second?

However everyone knows Carroll so he must be number one if Pritchard is third but who's second?

I can only imagine it's Andros Townsend. He's 21 and has only been capped five times for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Maybe the player has to be 21 at the start of the 12/13 season? Thus, eligible for the U-21s. I'm clutching at straws, it's not my list.

Yeh sorry I know you were only quoting and it's not you writing it. I was in a rush and just posted the one liner..

Maybe that is why he's on it as he was 21 at the start of the season...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I can only imagine it's Andros Townsend. He's 21 and has only been capped five times for us.

Must be Townsend and Carroll I guess but I thought both were pretty high profile to be honest didn't think they would be included in this list.

Number 1 - Tom Carroll

Unfortunately it's a bit of an odd write up...

http://www.cartilagefreecaptain.com/2013/6/28/4475692/tom-carroll-tottenham-hotspur

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Number 1 - Tom Carroll

Unfortunately it's a bit of an odd write up...

http://www.cartilagefreecaptain.com/2013/6/28/4475692/tom-carroll-tottenham-hotspur

I was enjoying all these but what a bizarre write up on Carroll. Lazy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23144892?

Massimo Luongo (No.9) and Grant Hall (No.14) to Swindon on loan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

What a shocking write-up about Carroll. Talk about an anti-climax.

Nathan Byrne to Swindon (permanent)

Alex Pritchard to Swindon (year long loan)

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/swindon-switch-090713/

@AddictedtoSpurs: Stat: 71.7% of Tom Carroll's passing went forward last season, with only 28.3% going backwards. #THFC

http://www.spurs.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7515448

For all the talk of our buying this or that superstar, I also have real interest as to what and who AVB will look to add to our squad from the younger generation of players, which I believe is very much part of his remit.

With the returning Danny Rose, Andros Townsend and Tom Carroll, Steven Caulker and Jake Livermore, we potentially have some very decent young players emerging from our youth section and all are potentially useful squad players, who may well become valued and essential individuals over a long season. Of course the further isn't certain over several of them, either because they might yet get squeezed out or perhaps become impatient for their own development, but if we look a little deeper, is there any other players that could be a surprise squad participant this season?

To a degree, it has always surprised me that Ryan Mason hasn't made the impact that his early promise showed. He has bags of technical ability and vision, but injury, bad luck, and perhaps a slight loss of focus has hampered his development, but without games, can he really be judged in a negative way, and I feel he might just be a player that AVB quite likes the look of. Sure he didn't play a minute in France, but was that about a lack of ability or about politics between chairman and coach?

in a summer where there is talk of spending big, there will also be an inevitable need to generate funds and if we can get decent renumeration for the likes of Naughton, Dempsey and a few more, you feel we will be wise to take the money, but of course we have to consider the cost of replacing them and also whether there is a suitable youngster ready to step in. At right full back, we have a very capable young man in Adam Smith, who has a nice mix of attack minded and also is defensively sound. He does have the ability to play on the left, but with Danny Rose, will we need that versatility. Sell Naughton for £4m+ and we are in profit without spending a penny.

As for Dempsey, is he a player that has the quality and experience to make him a sensible keep or in Holtby, Sigurdsson and perhaps another new face have we enough quality to make his departure sensible, especially if we can get our money back? Much hype has rightly been put on the shoulders of Alex Pritchard, but what of another youngster in Cristian Ceballos, whilst we could also have Andros Townsend to operate in wider attacking areas. Ceballos, is a player of superb technical play and is easily capable of operating in a number of systems, whilst playing left, right or central behind or around a striker. Is he, Like Pritchard, ideally suited to our developing style and in turn will save us a fortune one way or another?

getting the balance between developing players with loans and giving them training and game time with the senior squad will be a difficult one for AVB, but as well as the likes of Mason, Cabellos, Smaith and one or two others, could we be surprised to see someone like Nabil Bentaleb get a chance this season. another left footer, but another technically excellent player, who has size to go with that technique, but also has genuine ability in central midfield and also has an eye for goal. perhaps a long shot, but it really wouldn't surprise me to see him or someone in a similar stage opt development being given a chance to prove themselves and actually proving to be a great gamble.

Looking at the list of youngsters on our books with similar quality, there are plenty of players with genuine potential, but I do feel that we will see one or more players being treated in much the same way as Carroll was last season in being dipped in and out of the side in a non pressurised way and who knows we could have a diamond or two just waiting to be given the chance. As for the names I have mentioned, they all played some part in Saturday's opening friendly against Brentford, so I am a an extent taking the easy options, but for you, who is most likely be the breakthrough player of those who have yet to make an impression in the Spurs first team?..

The new crop of youngsters have a test against Kingstonian tonight;

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/chris-on-kingstonian-test-170713/

These lads will be the ones to represent us in the NexGen going forward and some may move on to represent the U-21s this season.

4-0 to Spurs XI

Kenny McEvoy with an early goal! :D

http://www.spursodyssey.com/1314/ki180713.html?

I'll be watching Spurs Reserves (aka Swindon Town) with a close eye this season....

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2013/july/mason-to-town/

That's their third loanee from us this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

I'll be watching Spurs Reserves (aka Swindon Town) with a close eye this season....

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2013/july/mason-to-town/

That's their third loanee from us this season.
    It seems to be four tottenham players on loan to them, Grant Hall, Massimo Luongo, Ryan Mason and Alex Pritchard. Add to that there are two former youth players in Troy Archibald Henville and Nathan Byrne.

Does anyone know what the link is between the two clubs?

• Advertisement

Adam Smith (No.5)

Off to Derby on season long loan - http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/derby-loan-for-smith-290713/

Guessing he'll never make it at the club. If I was him I'd have looked to move to get regular first team football in the PL. I'm sure one of the new boys would have fancied him.

Spurs XI v Cambridge City tonight

Squad...

Jonathan Miles
    Lawrence Vigouroux
    Yago Falque
    Ryan Fredericks
    Cristian Ceballos
    Kenneth McEvoy
    Shaquile Coulthirst
    Nabil Bentaleb
    Grant Ward
    Ruben Lameiras
    Aaron McEneff
    Dominic Ball
    Alex McQueen
    Darren McQueen
    Giancarlo Gallifuoco
    Kevin Stewart

U21's starting where they left off, 4-1 up against Chelsea

Kane, Carroll & Falque playing really well!

Scholesesque finish from Tom Carroll last night, would like to see him get a good solid run in EL and the Cups with a few home games too.

Advertisement